Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,999 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone,
This is my first post every on city data. I am going to be moving to Los Angeles, right after the New Year; and I could use the help of all of you that live in the LA area. Since you all know the area, as good as anyone; I could really use your advice.

I am a straight white guy in his upper 20s (clean cut – no tattoos/earring…etc), moving to LA from Connecticut. I come from a WASP/preppy background, and was wondering if there is an area of LA that would be good for me. My interests include playing golf, tennis, swimming, going out with friends to dinner/bars, going on dates, attending sporting events, going to movies.etc. I would like to move into a neighborhood that is more affluent that has lots of people in my age group (25-32), single, like minded people.

I will be working in the Beverly Hills/Century City area. Also, just for arguments sake, let’s say my rent budget is open ended. So, the price of the rent should not be a factor. Where would be the best place for me to live in Los Angeles? I understand that LA might be different than the north east of the US, but I was wondering if there is a neighborhood that would be good for me to live in. Being a new person in LA, I thought it might be easier to make friends with people of similar interest. I am a very social person, so I am looking forward to moving to LA and making new friends in California.

To sum up, I am looking for a young affluent WASPY/preppy type neighborhood that has a lot of people in my age group (25-32). So, could you please tell me what areas of LA I should be focusing on, and more specifically what parts of that neighborhood I should key ing in on? I will be in LA next month, to look at places. Thank you all very much for you help, I am sure the info you all provide will be very useful.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 05:22 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,202 times
Beverly Hills.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:50 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,569 times
Welcome to LA.

You could live in Century City and have an easy commute. The residential population is heavily white although older.
Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Malibu are somewhat similar.

Westwood is majority white and has a younger population since it is the home of UCLA.

Manhattan and Hermosa Beach are also majority white and have a pervasive beach culture. Commute times will suffer and there might be a bro/surfer atmosphere (especially Hermosa) to which you might have an allergy.

Beverly Hills has a large Persian Jewish population. Don't know if that is a problem for you.

You're never far from a golf course in Los Angeles.

Good luck.

PS: Maybe a high-end real estate agent would be helpful in your case.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:11 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Manhattan and Hermosa Beach

Old 10-12-2014, 07:44 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfan555 View Post
Hi there everyone,
This is my first post every on city data. I am going to be moving to Los Angeles, right after the New Year; and I could use the help of all of you that live in the LA area. Since you all know the area, as good as anyone; I could really use your advice.

I am a straight white guy in his upper 20s (clean cut – no tattoos/earring…etc), moving to LA from Connecticut. I come from a WASP/preppy background, and was wondering if there is an area of LA that would be good for me. My interests include playing golf, tennis, swimming, going out with friends to dinner/bars, going on dates, attending sporting events, going to movies.etc. I would like to move into a neighborhood that is more affluent that has lots of people in my age group (25-32), single, like minded people.

I will be working in the Beverly Hills/Century City area. Also, just for arguments sake, let’s say my rent budget is open ended. So, the price of the rent should not be a factor. Where would be the best place for me to live in Los Angeles? I understand that LA might be different than the north east of the US, but I was wondering if there is a neighborhood that would be good for me to live in. Being a new person in LA, I thought it might be easier to make friends with people of similar interest. I am a very social person, so I am looking forward to moving to LA and making new friends in California.

To sum up, I am looking for a young affluent WASPY/preppy type neighborhood that has a lot of people in my age group (25-32). So, could you please tell me what areas of LA I should be focusing on, and more specifically what parts of that neighborhood I should key ing in on? I will be in LA next month, to look at places. Thank you all very much for you help, I am sure the info you all provide will be very useful.

Thanks again
Please tell me you're trolling with this "WASPY" crap.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:33 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
If you're working in Beverly Hills/Century City, just live in either of those. Definitely WASPy there, but a huge Jewish population, both Euro and Persian. The whole WASP/prep East Coast thing doesn't happen much in SoCal, especially in areas close enough to your work. For that, I always suggest Newport Beach. That commute would be hell though. Westwood to the west of Beverly Hills is more families and early 20s UCLA students. To the east is West Hollywood which is the gayborhood. It's probably about 40% gay I'd say. So up to you if you like that or not. Southeast of Beverly Hills is the Mid Wilshire/Miracle Mile area, but that is much more "urban" and not WASPy. Brentwood could work. Santa Monica is too urban/hipster/new age for what you like probably.

Seriously though, just look at Beverly Hills. It's like bougie suburban Connecticut just with more Persians and Jews.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:25 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,409 times
You're going to be in for a rude culture shock. The OC might fit your WASPy needs better, since diversity is something you seem to be adverse to.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:53 PM

221 posts, read 347,669 times
Generally speaking, the age bracket you describe is really open to diversity in LA and not preppy. For the most part, people in their 20s and early 30s here are pretty chill and tend toward the hipster, artistic, punk, surfer, etc... Not toward preppy. So you might find it a challenge to find that subculture with the age you are, without going to OC. Not sure if anything in the west side of the valley might be like that, but then you'd have a commute.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:51 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
Areas to consider: Brentwood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, West LA, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, West Hollywood is a bit of a dump BUT there are lots of young hot models and aspiring actresses! Look at the north west part... Hollywood Blvd-ish. Avoid the Santa Monica Blvd gay district.

Pacific Palisades older married people raising kids, retired people.
Malibu way too far off the beaten path.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 AM

822 posts, read 1,284,350 times
People in El A are a little more open minded. Other than moving into certain college fraternities, I don't know of any places in El A where people exclusively only want to hang with WASPS and where only WASPS congregate. But your best choice is on the Westside or South OC (but there you might not like the fact there are some rich Iranians around you). Don't be bothered if you see other races living next door to you on the Westside. They have money and mobility too but are open minded. The richest man on the Westside and in El A is Asian not a WASP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles