Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:53 AM

5 posts, read 6,337 times

Advertisements

I'm a singer and really thinking about moving to Los Angeles to further jump my career. I love Houston, the cost of living & all, but I'm trying to become fearless & pursue my dreams that are bigger than my fear. I don't know what I'm up against moving to another state & alone, but I have to believe in myself or no one else will. I'm looking for advice on the cost of living, how I could survive on my own since I won't be near my parents anymore. I want to be smart about this but brave too! Please be nice haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 05:18 AM

22 posts, read 25,564 times
Have you ever seen the movie Due Date? When Robert Downey Jr's character gives a lecture to Zach Galifinakis, he says something along the lines of, Don't move to Hollywood, nobody that calls it Hollywood ever makes it, and the streets are lined with corpses of failed actors and actresses. You're up against more than you can imagine, stay home and build the foundation to a career instead of gambling that you'll make it here in California, it rarely ever works. There are so many (writers, actors, musicians, dancers, rappers, artists etc.) than you could ever wrap your head around. If you have a goal, pursue it, but you can do that (especially with technology now a days) without risking your future by setting up shop in a completely different area. By the way, if you like the cost of living in Houston, stay. The cost of living out here in CA is so ridiculous you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you that the average cost of a simple 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment in the downtown area is in excess of 1500, some up to even 2300 depending on the building. Best of Luck in whatever decision you make.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:16 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,697 times
Houston's a big city; what's LA going to offer that Houston doesn't? Are you trying to put a band together? Do you want to audition for the Voice or American Idol?

Use the advanced search function to scan the LA forum archives for an endless number of threads, contentiously arguing whether a young person should move here for an entertainment career. They'll basically fall into two bins: "yolo" & "you're nuts."

If you move here, your primary concern should be whether you can find a job that'll support you while pursuing your art. Biggest driver of the high COL of LA vs Houston is housing. How sketchy of a hood can your tolerate? How many roommates per room are you willing to live with? Look through Craigslist to get an idea of what rents are. Target neighborhoods such as Koreatown, Echo Park, Palms, North Hollywood, etc.

I don't know what type of singer you are (opera, hip hop, metal, country...) but what about Austin? Nashville? Atlanta? NYC?

You're going to have to do more intensive research and save up a big chunk of change ($5-10k, the more the better) to make the move with a decent margin of safety.

Good luck.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:48 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
Your basic trade-off is this. In a place like LA, you'll meet a lot of quite talented people that can help you make your art better, but, you'll be spending a lot of time surviving economically, which distracts from your art. And, you won't make any money because the competition is so fierce and there are so many people willing to work for free.

Either way, moving to LA is a good plan, but, it is also a temporary plan. You can move here when you're young and willing to live cheap so you can meet people and learn, but then leave when you finally need to make some money. Or, you can build your name in your home town, and perform here when you want to put your name out there.

Also, a lot of musicians live in the surrounding counties where life is easier, but where they can still make a two hour trek into the city to play. Riverside County, as an example.

But, yeah. Everyone on this board says either "you crazy" or "YOLO''. I'm on Team YOLO.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 AM

Loving the responses so far guys!! Thank you so much!!! Right now I am trying to make my mark in Houston singing at different events, lounges & I brand myself pretty well on my IG, I just don't want to get too stuck in Texas or comfortable. They say good things never come from comfort zones & I have been stepping out of it & seem tremendous result in my confidence & ambition! I don't want to be just a local artist I want to be global or international; I know sounds pretty crazy, but I believe in the possibility & I believe that's a great start to even "believe"!!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Will we see you on the Voice next season?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:32 PM

427 posts, read 500,175 times
You won't be trapped in Houston forever. Make a name for yourself there, and move to LA when you can do so comfortably.

The Beatles only moved to London from Liverpool after they had a record deal.

Moving up in the music industry means generating momentum for yourself, usually. Staying put and becoming a force in your area. Prince is synonymous with his hometown, Minneapolis, where he continues to live and work.

Bob Dylan is one exception. When he was a mere 19 years old he drove to New York from Minneapolis (coincidentally) to become involved in the folk singing community, and was "discovered" within months just by playing covers. The difference was back then New York was more accessible, less competitive, and more AFFORDABLE. However, Dylan only moved to New York to become involved in a specific scene. If you need to move, why not move to an area where your genre has an established home?

How much do you want to become star? Staying in Houston you still have a shot and won't have to work most the time, and spend the remainder in traffic. You'll have more time to work on your music! HOWEVER, there are more connections to the mainstream industry in LA, but you will have to get lucky to successfully vie for them. In Houston you can become a renowned local act, not at the same level as Katy Perry but can make a living doing what you love, in LA you will either fail or succeed. There is no middle ground.

You want to move because you are bored of your life and city. I would make your life more exciting and become successful in your area first. Maybe you will never want to leave?

Old 10-15-2014, 02:05 PM

I've tried out for X-Factor & when they didn't accept me through the first try out to go audition for the one on TV w/ Simon, I figured those shows were a hoax. I believe I have a voice & have witness ppl with little singing capability make it to the TV audition w/ Simon & I was baffled as to how someone who can actually sing not make it through round 1, but the "funnies" for TV ratings make it that can't hold a note make it through round 1. So ever since then, I've been skeptical about those shows!! @thelopez2

--- @Cryinbaby love what you said! I'm not bored at all here in Houston, I'm just scared to be stuck here off comfort-ness. Texas is low on living, & comfortable for settling families, but I'm young & have so many goals to accomplish before I settle & with my music I want to travel & not just become a Houston artist, I want to be international or global not just local! Sounds crazy I know, but I dream big & I'm matching my ambition with that as well! But I see now I should just start my fan base here first then once I'm financially set move or travel. I just don't know how I'll start it lol

Old 10-15-2014, 02:41 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
LA is an entire city of crushed dreams. Unless you move with a gig set up, or with any type of stable full time job to keep you going while pursuing your dream on the side, don't do it. It might sound harsh, but the chances of you making it are slim to none. My best suggestion would be to really make it big in Houston...as big as you think you can in Houston. After that, I'd say the next step is Austin or Nashville. The chances of being a Beyonce or Ariana Grande or whoever you idolize are extremely slim. If it's truly your passion, then the big bucks of LA record labels shouldn't mean as much. In Austin and Nashville you'll be surrounded by more similar people and not be just another Hollywood-chaser. "Hollywood" isn't what it used to be. It's a soul-crushing industry unless you already have connections within promoters and talent scouts and labels.

So in a nutshell, don't move here...yet. Make a name for yourself in Houston and then Austin/Nashville. At least if your dreams fail there, your finances won't take as hard of a hit as they will in LA. If you can network well in those cities, that'll open the doors to LA. Best of luck!

Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
If your going to let people on an internet forum sway how you should live your life than you probably should stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles