Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:33 AM

399 posts, read 407,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Asbestos remediation has to be done before the structure is demolished.
This was not done.
And you know this how?

Seems to me you're just being a busybody, looking for something to complain about. Unless you've got nothing better to do with your life than sit at your front window from morning til night watching this other person's property like a hawk, you don't know that they haven't done the proper testing. You're trying to throw a wrench in these people's plans and you won't let the truth stand in your way.

Question: Did you ever discuss the lead & asbestos testing issue with the owner or general contractor? They could've cleared it up for you, and you probably would've earned some good will with them by showing that you're a concerned but friendly neighbor. Instead you'll become THAT guy, who the work crews will go out of their way to legally **** off and inconvenience just to get back at you. Don't be surprised when they start jackhammering at 7:00am on the dot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Also, although 3 inspector names are listed on the permit, they are all listed with the same telephone number and a window to call from 7 AM-8 AM (only 1 hour!).
Yes, SHOCKER: The inspectors are actually out (...wait for it...) INSPECTING, instead of sitting at the office waiting for busybodies to call in complaints. If you want to reach them you're gonna have to wake up a little earlier, although I don't think that will be a problem once the contractors find out you've been trying to put them out of work and start jackhammering at 7:00am sharp to get back at you.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:50 PM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Seems to me you're just being a busybody, looking for something to complain about.
I disagree. Lead and especially asbestos are common in older homes, and have irrefutably been shown to cause long term health effects. It is not cheap to do proper remediation, which then leads to many people trying to skirt the law by doing unpermitted work, work with unlicensed contractors, etc.

The OP's concerns are well founded and he/she should speak up. I won't shed a tear for an unlicensed contractor doing improper work getting put out of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Question: Did you ever discuss the lead & asbestos testing issue with the owner or general contractor? They could've cleared it up for you, and you probably would've earned some good will with them by showing that you're a concerned but friendly neighbor.
I see it the other way. When you're a new owner, and about to do major work on your home, you should .. as a concerned and friendly neighbor, reach out to your neighbors, let them know what's going on, and make sure they have an easy way to contact you if there are any concerns.

This new neighbor obviously did not do that.

Perhaps the reason is because this neighbor is trying to save some money by doing improper work and putting their new neighbors at risk. If this was the case, here's what (probably) would have happened:
OP reaches out and New Neighbor (NN) puts on a smiley face and says everything is taken care of, no worries. OP goes on with life, but then sees improper activities happening over there. This breeds distrust. The OP calls the NN, the NN shines them on with a smiley face, or gets mad saying "I've already told you it's all good". Then, the OP calls the city. The city checks up, shuts the project down, and six months goes by while the NN waits for proper permits. The NN now hates the OP, because NN got caught and is incapable of really assigning blame (on themself) as to why it all went pear shaped.

It's easier to let the city deal with it. That's their job, anyway.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:42 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
If the OP is so concerned s/he should have just asked the neighbor what was up. Saying that no inspections were done and never bothering to do any sort of inquiring before reporting the site is pretty ridiculous.
It's classic busybody, nosy nelly behavior and OP is the worst sort of neighbor.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
I won't shed a tear for an unlicensed contractor doing improper work getting put out of work.
I don't disagree with that. The big IF there is IF that's the case. We'll never know because OP would rather call various agencies, waste taxpayer money, and burden an already overburdened system instead of walking across the street and saying "Hi, I'm ______ from across the street. I notice you guys are tearing down the house here. I'm just a little concerned about the lead, asbestos, and dust being kicked up since I have kids/pets/elderly parents. Do you have any paperwork to show that this is safe for us in the neighborhood, and if you don't, do you know where I can find it?" Any legit contractor would at that point have shown OP the report and given OP their card so they can follow up and see that it's on the up and up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
I see it the other way. When you're a new owner, and about to do major work on your home, you should .. as a concerned and friendly neighbor, reach out to your neighbors, let them know what's going on, and make sure they have an easy way to contact you if there are any concerns.
Sure, that's good business practice. I'm not saying the developer's a saint and absolved of all guilt. He clearly dropped the ball on the PR end by not sending out a notice to the neighbors to inform them of the work, go over the work hours, and offer contact information. He's at fault, I don't deny it. I'd just rather not get the city involved when OP could've taken the situation into his or her own hands and dealt with it. Why waste people's time and money when you can just walk across the street and get your answer?

Old 10-18-2014, 11:26 PM

8 posts, read 21,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
If the OP is so concerned s/he should have just asked the neighbor what was up. Saying that no inspections were done and never bothering to do any sort of inquiring before reporting the site is pretty ridiculous.
It's classic busybody, nosy nelly behavior and OP is the worst sort of neighbor.
To repeat some info from my original post which some respondents are seemingly ignoring: The house was unoccupied for the last 5 months and the new owners have never been around to ask or talk to about anything.

From talking to real, existing neighbors, the information I have is that the original owner allowed the realtor to sell to a developer (who is the current owner)--the house was not listed for sale. The new plans for the property have yet to be approved by the city, but the developer went ahead with demolishing the house anyway. The "new neighbors" won't exist until something gets built and sold.

Pardon me for being concerned about my and my neighbors' health and well being.

BTW someone from the city, perhaps an inspector, did come by to briefly look at the property. So nice to know that the city is checking--if they find the owner is in compliance, fine.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
To repeat some info from my original post which some respondents are seemingly ignoring: The house was unoccupied for the last 5 months and the new owners have never been around to ask or talk to about anything.

From talking to real, existing neighbors, the information I have is that the original owner allowed the realtor to sell to a developer (who is the current owner)--the house was not listed for sale. The new plans for the property have yet to be approved by the city, but the developer went ahead with demolishing the house anyway. The "new neighbors" won't exist until something gets built and sold.

Pardon me for being concerned about my and my neighbors' health and well being.

BTW someone from the city, perhaps an inspector, did come by to briefly look at the property. So nice to know that the city is checking--if they find the owner is in compliance, fine.
You've got every right to be concerned. My only issue is why you took the wasteful route and got a bunch of people involved when you could have gone across the street and talked to the contractor yourself. The easiest solution is usually the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles