Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:12 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times

Advertisements

OK, someone needs to update the stereotypes of Los Angeles because we are getting a bad rap for no good reason. The whole vapid Valley girls with no discernable skills and materialistic to the core is a long gone stereotype of the 80s and 90s. I came to an LA that was greatly humbled by the violence of the 90s, the earth shattering financial crises and the lack of stable employment. The people I've met, who aren't pursuing a career in the industry, have been some of the most genuine humble people I've ever met. I've learned to love and live life and toss out old conventions I grew up with, so I get tired of the old stereotypes.

Another thing that made me think that LA's stereotypes are outdated is my younger cousin visited me last weekend and reminded me of the world's apart difference between LA and Houston. My cousin is a prime example of the new Houston young professional. I mean everything in LA was old to her, she couldn't see the beauty is some of the vintage neighborhoods like Los Feliz, her Hilton Hotel was too old, and if it wasn't a nice shiny new mixed use development town center kinda thing, it just didn't suit her tastes. She was preoccupied with keeping up with the Joneses, and has plans to get married and not work. Everything eclectic was "weird", and every guy that even approached her to say anything (not hit on her) was a "creeper". When I asked her what her overall opinion of LA was, she said it was great but dirty, i.e. a place to visit but not live in. So she will return to Texas to her McMansion in a master planned community with a fake lake and an entrance that looks like a theme park. She will shop at the latest "Town Centre" and continue to keep up with the Joneses. That's the new monied young professional life in Houston.

The point is, I know that not everyone in Texas is like that and that we have our share of this in the outter burbs and the OC, but it's unfair that we get labeled as being too whatever while places that have seen enormous booms are producing an even worse case of materialism. Combined with the traditionalism of marriage and children, it's an unwelcome mix of gaudy burb excess.

So why hasn't the media kept up with the New LA? Sure LA can still be a bit insular and a bit image conscious, but the positives far outweigh some of the lingering negatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 10:37 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
The new stereotypes of Los Angelinos seem to center around taking healthy living too seriously, being hipsters and working too many jobs to make too little money. Before I moved here the stereotypes from outsiders were the usual "everyone is vapid, flaky, materialistic and self-absorbed" but once I got here I learned that the Angelino stereotypes to actual Angelinos are very different.
My girlfriend called me a stereotype for getting 'Pressed Juicery' juices delivered to my house every week and buying tons of vinyl, not for being materialistic(which I am) or ditsy(which I am) or whatever.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:26 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,493 times
When did you arrive in LA radio libre?

You are right. The early 90's were a rough time for Los Angeles County (big earthquake, homicides/violence peaking, Rodney King Riots, aerospace bust that shed tons of high paying jobs, more smog, etc.).

This city has certainly changed a lot since the early 80's when Tom Bradley was mayor, the Olympics came to the city for a second time and that blonde, pothead named Jeff Spicoli conjured up an image that many east coasters loved to think was the daily reality of life in LA. Of course, that never really was the full picture (of course, that movie wasn't even supposed to be LA, actually San Diego).

There is a bar in Rio de Janeiro of all places called "Bukowskis" which pays homage to the now deceased LA-based bohemian writer. Bukowski was very active in those early 80's years plying his craft on Skid Row and other downtrodden districts. Late 70's and early 80's Los Angeles played host to one of the most vibrant, organic and artistic music scenes ever. From the assault of the Germs and Black Flag to the sophistication of X to the soulful roots of Los Lobos. The most groundbreaking alternative record label of the 1980's (SST) was based in supposedly "surfer heavy" South Bay. That was not a vapid, shallow city. It was a screaming inferno of ideas, passion and creativity. Yes, some shallow parts of the mass culture at the time missed that boat...but it was deep and rewarding river for those who lived it.

I am guessing your cousin would not have appreciated a $5 show at the Masque in Hollywood or Madame Wong's East in Chinatown when Los Angeles brought the slam pit (now called the "mosh") pit to national attention. Sounds like Santa Clarita is more her cup of tea. Hey to each their own...ain't that what makes LA great. We can all march to the beat of our own drum.

Last edited by StreetLegal; 10-19-2014 at 12:36 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 AM

559 posts, read 1,378,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
OK, someone needs to update the stereotypes of Los Angeles because we are getting a bad rap for no good reason. The whole vapid Valley girls with no discernable skills and materialistic to the core is a long gone stereotype of the 80s and 90s.

<snip>
What makes you think the vapid Valley Girls stereotype was accurate in the first place? Did they exist? Yes. Were they the dominant species in LA? No.

You, yourself, came here with your expectations filled to the brim with stereotypes. What would have disabused *you* of them? Carpet-bombing the nation with PSAs from Eric Garcetti? Constitutional amendment forbidding the inaccurate portrayal of Los Angeles?

If you went back in time and lectured the pre-LA BarcelonaFan, would he believe the enlightened radiolibre99?

Unfortunately, folks can't get enough of the minutiae of celebrity culture and they'll endlessly press the lever to mainline it with no threat of an OD to serve as a natural brake.

Only if the entertainment industry completely dissipates, or other aspects of LA overwhelm the interest in the biz, will there be any semblance of an accurate image of LA.

I basically agree that stereotypes die hard unless the brain in question is open to tossing them out.

So, what exactly are you proposing?

Old 10-19-2014, 05:09 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,121 times
The media will not move beyond the L.A. stereotypes any time soon. Just like Southerners are supposedly all toothless swamp dwellers, Texans are loudmouth rednecks, and Midwesterners are simpleton hayseeds. The East Coast dominated mainstream media will continue to beat these stereotypes to death. A reporter who covered California for Time or Newsweek in the 70's was constantly told by his Editor to bring him stories about "wacky Californians." Nobody wants to read about the successful businesses and creative innovators that are alive and well in L.A. They just want to know what bimbo is dating which rapper this week.

As for your cousin in Houston, she is sadly mistaken if she thinks there are no "old" areas of that city.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:57 PM

171 posts, read 195,449 times
Is it true that all Los Angelenos drive a BMW, Prius, or old truck with landscaping equipment hanging off the back?

Old 10-20-2014, 02:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
What makes you think the vapid Valley Girls stereotype was accurate in the first place? Did they exist? Yes. Were they the dominant species in LA? No.

You, yourself, came here with your expectations filled to the brim with stereotypes. What would have disabused *you* of them? Carpet-bombing the nation with PSAs from Eric Garcetti? Constitutional amendment forbidding the inaccurate portrayal of Los Angeles?

If you went back in time and lectured the pre-LA BarcelonaFan, would he believe the enlightened radiolibre99?

Unfortunately, folks can't get enough of the minutiae of celebrity culture and they'll endlessly press the lever to mainline it with no threat of an OD to serve as a natural brake.

Only if the entertainment industry completely dissipates, or other aspects of LA overwhelm the interest in the biz, will there be any semblance of an accurate image of LA.

I basically agree that stereotypes die hard unless the brain in question is open to tossing them out.

So, what exactly are you proposing?
I actually knew a few women in the 80s who reflected that stereotype. My observation was almost none of them were from the SFV. A few were from places further west (e.g. Conejo Valley, Oxnard Plain) and a few were from Bay area burbs that are a bit further from SF (680 corridor, Northern Marin, etc).

Old 10-20-2014, 02:34 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
Is it true that all Los Angelenos drive a BMW, Prius, or old truck with landscaping equipment hanging off the back?

This stereotype is true in the Westside. Everyone has Mercedes, BMW or prius, and there are pelnty of old trucks because of the Latino workers. A huge number of those mercedes and bmw are leased though - not everyone in the westside can afford to pay cash on that!

Old 10-20-2014, 06:01 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
The media will not move beyond the L.A. stereotypes any time soon. Just like Southerners are supposedly all toothless swamp dwellers, Texans are loudmouth rednecks, and Midwesterners are simpleton hayseeds.
Well some of these are pretty true.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:07 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Stereotypes die hard. People still squeal "Oh, JOI-sey!" at me when I tell them I'm originally from NJ. I never once in 38 years of living in the northeast heard a person who was actually from NJ, call it "Joisey." I don't even know where "Joisey" came from. It sounds like a Brooklyn accent to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles