Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Hi guys!

I am really puzzled.. Why would anyone move to L.A unless he/she is an actor, model, musician or someone in the entertainment industry?
Southern California has a mammoth aerospace industry a hub of which runs from El Segundo to Irvine. Most major NASA programs, military programs have deep roots and presence in Southern California. It isn't as big as it used to be though. Also there is a pretty hefty biotech industry here too - Amgen in Thousand Oaks is a huge anchor.

Heck ya, If was 22 again and some big aerospace company made me a $65K starting salary offer and I knew I wasn't interested in buying a house or interested in school quality, I'd take a job in Huntington Beach or El Segundo. I could build my experience, live the good life on the beach in a community full of single people, party, chicks, etc. I did that at Point Mugu in the 1980s.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00251/PortrushParty1_251462g.jpg (broken link)

A lot of people move to SoCal to take these jobs. It can be an economic lateral move if someone is moving from another high cost area like BOS, NY, NOVA, SF, etc.

I created a Southern California Aerospace Thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...tal-world.html

Last edited by Charles; 01-02-2008 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:08 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Southern California has a mammoth aerospace industry a hub of which runs from El Segundo to Irvine. Most major NASA programs, military programs have deep roots and presence in Southern California. It isn't as big as it used to be though. Also there is a pretty hefty biotech industry here too - Amgen in Thousand Oaks is a huge anchor.
Another economic powerhouse in Southern California is the port complex of LA/Long Beach, which moves more goods than all East Coast ports combined.

Port of Los Angeles - About the Port - Economic Impact (broken link)

Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 PM

18 posts, read 97,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Another economic powerhouse in Southern California is the port complex of LA/Long Beach, which moves more goods than all East Coast ports combined.

Port of Los Angeles - About the Port - Economic Impact (broken link)
Yes, people seem to forget about the International Trade field in LA. I work in this field ( not in CA) and have seen union clerical jobs at about $80,000 a few years ago. Made me wonder why I stay in the Midwest... However, I am sure that the competition is STIFF beyond belief for these jobs. The stevedores at the ports loading the ships are making over $100,000. Again, all union.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:35 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Hi guys!

I am really puzzled.. Why would anyone move to L.A unless he/she is an actor, model, musician or someone in the entertainment industry? I think that the main reason the above professionals move there (or in NYC) is because of their jobs. I truly beleive that if their circumstances had been different (like if they were in other professions), they would live elsewhere, but I may be wrong. I love L.A and all that it offers (except the daily car chases by LAPD!) being that it is a big city, but I can't move to a city just because "I like the weather". Do you all see what I mean? If one is a doctor, teacher, hotel manager, there are many cities in the US they can relocate to. I get the impression that L.A is only for the rich, since they have the means to really enjoy the city but for the rest of us, working 2 or 3 jobs just to have an L.A address does not make any sense. I firmly beleive that the reason people work should be to improve their lives (through savings and other investments) and not to just pay rent! There is a high cost to live in cities like L.A, NY and even Washington D.C, so one has to chose wisely and understand the meaning of life.
The industry that my husband works in (printing industry) is huge in Southern California. If we were to move to an area that was more affordable we'd make considerably less money. Since he's in sales... he has to go where the money is and it's not in Virginia, Arkansas, or any other "affordable" state.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:43 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis421 View Post
Well said. Are there any other cities you recommend moving to?
In my situation, I am looking for a warmer place to live with vibrant outdoor activities year round. Minnesota winter is way too cold and I am in involuntary hibernating mode here. It's 3F right now! lol! Skiing/Snow Boarding are nice but I heard that people can do that in LA as well? I'm a tennis player myself and not able to play during winter really hurt my game. It would be awesome if I can play tennis year round. I did explore San Fran but the weather is not as good, plus it's even more expensive than LA. Well, another reason I choose LA is because I do have a relative there.
One question I would ask is that how difficult is it to find new friends in LA? I'm in my late 20's. This is one reason I want to move out of MN. People are extremely nice don't get me wrong (Minnesota Nice), but things are so segregated it's very hard to meet new people. : ) Thanks.
I think places like Texas, Florida, Georgia, Arizona should be warm enough for you.. I have never lived in any of those states but I did pass through several times and they seem to be diverse population-wise and friendly..Why don't you research them?

Having a relative in L.A is a good enough reason to move there since family is important and living close by definetely worth it, at the same time, think about what's really important for you and list them. Remember, in every choice you make there will be trade-offs. For instance, if you hate close-minded people, don't move to Arkansas. If you don't want to spend too much time in your car going from A to B, then don't move to L.A, NY, DC where commute times of 3 or 4 hours are the norm, etc, etc. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:08 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,819 times
Well, this is a question I've often wondered. I, myself am out here by default - de fault of my dh, who happened to be living here and well-employed (outside the entertainment industry) when we got married! Anyhow, after over thirteen years, during which I have never fallen in love with L.A., we are finally approaching the time when we will be able to escape! And I can't wait! DH doesn't mind it as much as I do. We are both in the medical field although I am now a fulltime SAHM. The things he liked about it and the reason he stayed here after medical school, have primarily to do with the incredible number of outdoor activities available - boating, skiing, jogging, hiking in the mountains,golfing, bicycling, etc. all year round. But for me, I really don't like driving all that much and these freeways are scary. Everything is way too spread out and I really miss the lush greeness, trees and brick architecture of the midwest where I grew up. Besides, I am so sick of the news being overrun with stories about starlets getting arrested for DUI's, etc. and neighborhood parties with 75% of the people in "the industry," gabbing about the entertainment world...guess if I were 20 something again, it might all be exciting, but I hardly even watch TV anymore! Anyway, I think most people would agree, its not the best place to raise a family and most of the people I know out here would be moving if they could.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I'm really puzzled by your question. Most people in LA don't work in entertainment. And I think it would be reasonable to assume that those who come here to work in other industries do so for the same reasons they might locate to any other city. Better paying job, change of scenery, experience of living in another part of the country, to be closer to family/significant other, better climate, to live in a more open-minded, progressive social environment, to improve quality of life...are all some of the more common reasons that come to mind.

I recently relocated back to LA myself and in my case I did so for two primary reasons: a.) I took a new job that pays considerably more than my last position and b.) I love LA and the big city, cosmopolitan lifestyle it offers.

I could do my job in just about any other city like SF, Boston, NY, Chicago, Houston, etc. But I don't want to live in those places.
Thanks for all the replies...I think you all got my point, which was that people like you and me have a choice to live anywhere in the States, but Actors, Singers, Models, people in the entertainment industry in general don't have that choice, which is why they have to relocate to either L.A or NY. I have never heard of a famous actor living and working in Arkansas for example Those people who choose to live in L.A when they can live anywhere else do so because they recognize the fact that there will be things about life in the city that they might not like but can live with (for ex, having several roomates in order not to pay $3000.00 in rent). This is a major no-no for me because I am a selfish person. I want my privacy so I can't have roomates, which is too bad for me because it means I can never live in my favorite city: L.A! Obviously, if I got paid close to whatever the actors/entertainers make, I'd move there in a heartbeat!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
I belive most people move to big citys so they can escape the closeminded people who live in suburbs. They also want something new and refreshing. They want amazing nightlife and an overall fun time. They want a new experience. Life is too short to not do things you want to. If it dosen't work out you can always move somewhere else.
TheRealAngelion I posted after you. You pretty much said everything I was wanting to say.
All the reasons you and the realangelion posted before you are very good reasons and I do agree that life is too short not to enjoy life to the fullest but how can people enjoy a beautiful city like L.A if they are always working to pay those ridiculous rents/mortgages? It all comes down to the main issue: MONEY and contrary to what you stated above, it is not easy to move from one city to another...even for single people. These people may not have kids/husbands to worry about but they may have furniture or things they just can't throw out. They have to worry about storage fees, finding a job in a new city, hotel stays until they find an apartment, etc. The wait in this case can be long so they may run out of money, before they could even settle into their new place. All is too easily said, than done...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles