Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHook View Post
It doesn't matter cuz the Pistons are gonna kick Lakers butts in the finals!!!
They should beat BOS tonight, I hope. I hope they beat Boston in Boston in game 7, they might.

I think conservatively. I figure the Lakers have about the same chance against either team (it's debatable, but that's my assumption). However, if the Lakers were to lose, I'd rather lose to Detroit than Boston. However, it would feel better to beat Boston. Nothing in sports feels better than beating Boston.

Realistic scenario? Lakers split on the road, win two of three at Staples, then win game six.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 11:09 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
are you certain of the 2-3-2 setup for the finals?

Old 05-30-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
are you certain of the 2-3-2 setup for the finals?

Yes.

ESPN - 2008 NBA Finals Schedule - NBA

NBA FINALS - BEST OF SEVEN (2-3-2)
Date, Time Matchup Network
Thursday, June 5 (9 p.m. ET) Lakers at Pistons or Celtics abc
Sunday, June 8 (9 p.m. ET) Lakers at Pistons or Celtics abc
Tuesday, June 10 (9 p.m. ET) Pistons or Celtics at Lakers abc
Thursday, June 12 (9 p.m. ET) Pistons or Celtics at Lakers abc
#Sunday, June 15 (9 p.m. ET) Pistons or Celtics at Lakers abc
#Tuesday, June 17 (9 p.m. ET) Lakers at Pistons or Celtics abc
#Thursday, June 19 (9 p.m. ET) Lakers at Pistons or Celtics abc

Old 05-31-2008, 03:31 PM

108 posts, read 305,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
you wish buddy!
OK...OK....I put my foot in my mouff . Rasheed sold us out! Anyway: go Celtics!

Old 05-31-2008, 04:33 PM

Here is something fascinating to watch, Lakers Celtics Game 7, 1969. Wilt, Elgin, Jerry, Bill Russell, etc.

YouTube - NBA on ABC 1969 Lakers/Celtics Game 7 4th Qtr - Part 1/5

Old 05-31-2008, 08:37 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
i'll never understand why everyone's so obsessed with this whole "Beat LA" thing. i know celtics fans started the chant back in the day, but these days it seems everyone else has copped it (sf giants, sacramento kings, golden state warriors, etc). why all the hate? LA fans in my book are pretty chill, esp compared with the fans back east where i'm from. new york fans can be incredibly arrogant, with a sense of entitlement that knows no bounds (believe me, i'm from there and i find some of my fellow new yorkers to be insufferable). a lot of boston fans are pretty obnoxious, too, esp over the past few years. and philly fans are just angry all the time, with a defeatist mentality toward their own teams. the thing that's a real turn-off to me is that they have such a massive inferiority complex toward new york (as does boston) that they revel in even the smallest victories over a new york team.

now that i think about it, maybe the way that philly and boston act toward ny teams is similar to how sf, oakland, diego, and sacramento feel about la - they have a small city complex (even though 2 of these cities are not small) and hate la bc it gets all the attention. that's lame, but i guess that's how it goes. just shows their insecurity IMO. and it seems to me that these rivalries are pretty much one-sided - all the smaller cities on the west coast hate la (if not ny, too) and all the smaller cities on the east coast hate ny (if not la as well), yet angelenos and new yorkers don't seem to really care about these other cities - out of sight, out of mind. that probably ticks off these small-to-medium cities even more.

sf is particularly puzzling to me bc that city has so much going for it. why hate la when your own city is great in its own right? yet everyone i've met up there told me that it's practically verboten to express any sort of like for la; it's like a religion to hate anything la, it seems.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i'll never understand why everyone's so obsessed with this whole "Beat LA" thing. i know celtics fans started the chant back in the day, but these days it seems everyone else has copped it (sf giants, sacramento kings, golden state warriors, etc). why all the hate? LA fans in my book are pretty chill, esp compared with the fans back east where i'm from. new york fans can be incredibly arrogant, with a sense of entitlement that knows no bounds (believe me, i'm from there and i find some of my fellow new yorkers to be insufferable). a lot of boston fans are pretty obnoxious, too, esp over the past few years. and philly fans are just angry all the time, with a defeatist mentality toward their own teams. the thing that's a real turn-off to me is that they have such a massive inferiority complex toward new york (as does boston) that they revel in even the smallest victories over a new york team.

now that i think about it, maybe the way that philly and boston act toward ny teams is similar to how sf, oakland, diego, and sacramento feel about la - they have a small city complex (even though 2 of these cities are not small) and hate la bc it gets all the attention. that's lame, but i guess that's how it goes. just shows their insecurity IMO. and it seems to me that these rivalries are pretty much one-sided - all the smaller cities on the west coast hate la (if not ny, too) and all the smaller cities on the east coast hate ny (if not la as well), yet angelenos and new yorkers don't seem to really care about these other cities - out of sight, out of mind. that probably ticks off these small-to-medium cities even more.

sf is particularly puzzling to me bc that city has so much going for it. why hate la when your own city is great in its own right? yet everyone i've met up there told me that it's practically verboten to express any sort of like for la; it's like a religion to hate anything la, it seems.
Your observations make a lot of sense, especially with all the western division cities in the various sports.

The giants especially hate LA as LA won all the world series and the giants haven't won the series in over 54 years. (The A's won three in a row in the early 1970s.) San Diego has never won anything.

Also "Beat LA" is the perfect three syllable chant.

The boston Beat LA thing probably got started when the Lakers won the championships in the early 1980s and the glitz and glamour of LA was so contrast to the "blue collar" culture of the celtics, bruins, boston garden.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:11 PM

9 posts, read 34,998 times
Default Lol Clipper Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
na...im a clippers fan. too much hype on the Fakers. clippers all the way.
=====================================
You are obviously a very angry man. How could you not be...being a Clipper fan...LOL Sterling is the owrse owner in any sport...PERIOD!!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:30 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
you know what was weird the other night? after beating the pistons to advance to the nba finals, the celtics players started chanting "Beat LA!" in the locker room - including paul pierce, who grew up in inglewood rooting for the lakers during the "showtime" era.

i realize that pierce - like everyone else on the celtics - got caught up in the moment, but it was still kind of odd. it's one thing if the chant were "lakers suck" or something like that (in other words, "my team is gonna beat your team") but the "Beat LA" chant seems to imply getting the best of anything associated with the city of angels. at least that's how i always interpreted it.

so i thought it was funny that someone who spent his formative years in la would take up that specific chant. i know it's not really that big of a deal, but just saying...

Old 06-11-2008, 10:48 AM

Looks like we have a series. So far I've been wrong on everything. I was more afraid of San Antonio than Boston. I thought the Lakers would split in Boston.

I thought last night's game was pretty sloppy. Odom, Gasol, Garnett, and Pierce all had horrible games. What are the odds of that?

Anyone else feel both teams sort of wimped out during the last 20 seconds? Boston didn't foul. Kobe and Pierce cracking jokes. Seemed odd...especially after the ex-NBA official's testimony of hanky panky refereeing during the playoffs a few years ago.....

I always like to read the other city's papers in big championships:

Coast trip: Misfiring Celtics lose to Lakers in Game 3 - The Boston Globe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles