Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:22 AM

214 posts, read 330,158 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, i am from England and I am planning to move to California in the next year or two, but I am already researching and deciding on the best locations in California to live. I have been seriously considering Malibu, but from what I have read online, Malibu is very expensive and overly pretentious, but the pros to living there are that it seems to be very private and is surrounded by national parks and hills/mountains, which I like that, being a reserved nature lover and all.

Anyway, is Malibu a bad place to live and, if so, where else would you suggest as better place/s to live in California?

Thank you in advance for any advice given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:31 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Do you plan on getting a work Visa?

Old 11-17-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Do you plan on getting a work Visa?
Well, my Brother is a US resident; he lives in Florida. I plan to apply for a Visa through him. I don't know how hard it will be to gain a visa through a sibling though. I have read that it's definitely possible, so I am hoping I can gain entry via him. I also have a large monetary inheritance and would be willing to invest in a property in California.

Could anyone provide some info on investments in the USA; how much needs to be invested; what kind of investments need to be made etc?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:16 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Nothing better and safer than asking strangers for investment advice on an anonymous Internet forum! I can't help, but I know there are numerous Nigerian consultants who will be happy to place your funds for you.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:30 AM

I am talking about protocols on whether i can gain a visa via investments. I have heard that it's possible, but there must be a certain amount i would need to invest.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:06 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
You might try the US Department of State website.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Well, my Brother is a US resident; he lives in Florida. I plan to apply for a Visa through him. I don't know how hard it will be to gain a visa through a sibling though.
Sorry, your brother would have to be a US Citizen, not just a resident, to sponsor a sibling, so you'd have to go the money route:

http://reason.com/assets/db/07cf533d...b5942ef5ad.jpg

Old 11-17-2014, 10:25 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
For an investor visa, you need either 200 or 400 thousand pounds to invest in a US company, and that's the fastest way to go. Your LPR through your brother will take years and years.

You'll need a minimum of a million pounds to buy property in Malibu, and you won't get anything nice and secluded for less than 4 million pounds. You'll need at least 1000 pounds/month to find a small rental in a not great block of flats in Malibu.

If you do head for Malibu, I suggest you look for something near Point Dume, about 5-10 miles north of Malibu's town center. Anything further south is very crowded and expensive, and it sort of merges into Santa Monica/Los Angeles, which is a tired, dirty, overcrowded craphole with a severe homeless and druggie problem. Malibu's town center is wedged between crumbly sandstone cliffs and narrow sandy beaches. It's choked with tourists from LA, and I doubt you'll find it appealing. The buildable area widens out as you go north, with more nature, prettier views, quieter environments, but less stuff to do (pretty much nothing, actually).

Malibu residents are extremely snobby and rich. They mostly live in gated compounds and drive into LA to socialize. There isn't really much neighborliness or people walking around. Many neighborhoods don't even have sidewalks because nobody walks and there's nowhere to walk to. If you are--as I presume--very rich with a British accent, then you'll probably get along pretty well.

Ventura and Santa Barbara are my suggestions for better places to live. Both have lively downtowns for when you feel like going out and meeting your neighbors. Both also have secluded areas where you can be left to your own devices. This is California; pretty much everywhere that isn't city is beautiful parkland or recreational area. There are thousands of hiking trails, beaches, islands, forests, mountains, and desertscapes in pretty much every direction. It gets much quieter and more scenic the further north from LA you go. The coast is pretty wild and empty with just a few scattered towns once you get north of Santa Barbara.

If you have a half-million or more pounds to drop on a house, I'd buy one in the hills of Ventura either right above downtown or a bit east, maybe above Ventura High School or in that area. The coastal and island views are incredible! The downtown is fun when you want to go out, and nobody will bother you at home when you want to stay in and be left alone. You can just head straight up into the hills if you want to go for a nature walk, or you can bicycle (or drive) down to the beach if you want to have a quiet walk by the shore.

The beaches get a little busy during the summer, but they're mostly empty during the winter months. The weather is pretty much the same (low fahrenheit 70's) year round with mostly sunny days.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:45 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Malibu is great if you're a wealthy, retired older person. There's not much of anything to do in Malibu and the commute to the city is long.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 AM

368 posts, read 413,388 times
I wish I could afford to live in the Bu. To me, its the most beautiful place in the entire US. Love Malibu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles