Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 01:25 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
True, but your post speaks to the wealthy only. LA can be a super frustrating city when it offers so much but it's extremely expensive and out of reach to most. Your 5 star meal in Beverly Hills and comedy show on Sunset is a good example. Working class people, especially those with families, would be advised to move to a suburb or small town where they can actually live decently.
Quote:
The examples the poster used are very much tied into being wealthy.. "5 star Beverly Hills restaurant" and "Sunset blvd comedy club." If he said something like laying at the Malibu coast or hiking Runyon Canyon, those would be LA experiences for people of all incomes. I know that wasn't his intention but there are ways to describe LA's uniqueness that are more egalitarian.
Hiking and swimming are free, and the best comedy show in Los Angeles happens in the back of a comic shop every Wednesday evening for less than $20. Sure, a 5-star meal is expensive, but it's not like I'm eating them every day. I occasionally treat myself to a fine dining experience but I usually make my own meals or order in.
And my point still stands. These are all things that are available to you in Los Angeles. Just because most people can't afford a 5-star meal doesn't mean the restaurants providing them cease to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 02:20 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Hiking and swimming are free, and the best comedy show in Los Angeles happens in the back of a comic shop every Wednesday evening for less than $20. Sure, a 5-star meal is expensive, but it's not like I'm eating them every day. I occasionally treat myself to a fine dining experience but I usually make my own meals or order in.
And my point still stands. These are all things that are available to you in Los Angeles. Just because most people can't afford a 5-star meal doesn't mean the restaurants providing them cease to be.
Hiking and swimming were my examples, I was saying you should be those instead of 5 star restaurant and comedy show (which, ok, it may ocasionally be a $20 night, but mostly it ends up being $100-200 when all is said and done). Nothing wrong with your post but it spoke mostly to people of your income. And yeah LA is WAY more fun and cool if you're in the top 1%.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Well, illegal immigration is a problem but it's not what's affecting housing costs. We can blame that on foreign money which has caused real estate to skyrocket, forcing individuals who usually buy homes into the rental market, driving up rent. Then there's rich foreigners who rent at corporate apartments, hence why you are starting to see 3000/mo studios
Prices would go down if all the poor people moved out. This is because the supply of housing would be high and the demand would be lower.

It's not just the rich or foreign money that makes housing prices higher.

There are many places in America where housing costs are much LESS than in the ghettos of L.A and the average income is higher.

People are paying mortgages on houses in nice/safe areas that are less than renting a rundown 1bedroom in a place like Panorama City.

Also it's crazy to think that illegal immigrants aren't buying houses or contributing to mortgages in L.A

Old 11-26-2014, 04:15 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
The examples the poster used are very much tied into being wealthy.. "5 star Beverly Hills restaurant" and "Sunset blvd comedy club." If he said something like laying at the Malibu coast or hiking Runyon Canyon, those would be LA experiences for people of all incomes. I know that wasn't his intention but there are ways to describe LA's uniqueness that are more egalitarian.
The UCB theater on Sunset is probably one of the best in the nation and most shows are 10 bucks or less. Sure I guess the Laugh Factory has a high cost of admission but if you are paying to go there you are a tasteless fool. I saw ReAnimator the Musical for 20 bucks last month.

Just saying comedy / arts in LA are very accessible for people of all incomes. The restaurant, yeah that is exclusive for the rich. But like Nslander said, that would be true of all big cities, and even in food PA is more accessible for the working class than many other major cities.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:17 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
It's gonna be sad when Nerdmelt / meltdown has to move for that new development.

Which comedy show are you referring to? I'm a big fan of Harmontown.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:16 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The UCB theater on Sunset is probably one of the best in the nation and most shows are 10 bucks or less. Sure I guess the Laugh Factory has a high cost of admission but if you are paying to go there you are a tasteless fool. I saw ReAnimator the Musical for 20 bucks last month.

Just saying comedy / arts in LA are very accessible for people of all incomes. The restaurant, yeah that is exclusive for the rich. But like Nslander said, that would be true of all big cities, and even in food PA is more accessible for the working class than many other major cities.
OK, you're right there is cheap comedy in LA, but when people say a "comedy club on Sunset" you think Laugh Factory or Comedy Store which is easily $100 a head when all is said and done.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
True, but your post speaks to the wealthy only. LA can be a super frustrating city when it offers so much but it's extremely expensive and out of reach to most. Your 5 star meal in Beverly Hills and comedy show on Sunset is a good example. Working class people, especially those with families, would be advised to move to a suburb or small town where they can actually live decently.
What percentage of L.A.'s population has ever had a 5 star meal in Beverly Hills? Probably a pretty low percentage.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What percentage of L.A.'s population has ever had a 5 star meal in Beverly Hills? Probably a pretty low percentage.
And honestly, the longer I live the less I care about BH meals. Generally overpriced and small portions. I know, I know, I am supposed to admire the artistry of the presentation and savor the flavor whilst preserving my svelte outline.

But keeping it real, I'm all over real food. Eclectic comfort food places in so called hipster and transitional areas, as well as ethnic fare in the likes of Armenian Town, Thai Town, K-town, and of course I've had a soft spot for excellent Mexican food ever since I was a kid (that started up here in Nor Cal). On a different front, I can appreciate good stick to your ribs stuff (perhaps dwindling a bit these days) that I used to hit up in Bellflower and the LBC. I miss the late and great Russell's.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:30 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Prices would go down if all the poor people moved out. This is because the supply of housing would be high and the demand would be lower.

It's not just the rich or foreign money that makes housing prices higher.

There are many places in America where housing costs are much LESS than in the ghettos of L.A and the average income is higher.

People are paying mortgages on houses in nice/safe areas that are less than renting a rundown 1bedroom in a place like Panorama City.

Also it's crazy to think that illegal immigrants aren't buying houses or contributing to mortgages in L.A
No Jim. If all the poor people moved out the area would become more upscale. That equals increased desirability / prices.

"Other places in America" aren't LA.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:31 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
There aren't really that many restaraunts in Beverly hills . Many more options on the high end in West Hollywood and downtown la likely has more high end places than both combined these days .

The flashy places in LA likely have better food than in other cities , but you are paying of course for the "atmosphere ".

The reason the higher end is better in cities like LA NyC or SF is because they are foodie cities and people there " know " food.

The food truck scene is an example of bringing quality or gourmet food to the masses .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles