Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 04:34 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times

Advertisements

The arrests keep coming ...looks like over 300 arrests total so far . I wonder how many millions this will cost the city. How much is it delaying the 911 response times?

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...283991451.html

From the looks of the photos , most of the L.A crowd seems pretty young versus photos from other cities.

It seems people are using this as an opportunity to 'attack racism' even though there is no proof this was an act of racism.

It also seems a lot are going out there to blow off steam and to feel a 'part of something historic'

I find it interesting there are so many young people that have the time to protest for this , but how many of them protest issues that happen in our own city?

Where is the protest against the 'phantom' LAPD police cars?

Where is the protest against a failing LAUSD school system ?

Where is the protest against corrupt politicians in LA?

Where is the protest against overspending of our tax money which threatens the city?

Where is the protest about the delay of the freeway construction?

Instead what do the L.A residents go all out for? The issue that is trending on Twitter and being blasted worldwide on CNN and the other major news networks of course .

The issues I listed above are serious issues that daily affect the residents of L.A ...but they aren't sexy enough to speak out against.

Instead all these people are getting arrested in the name of a Bully robber that decided he was above the law. Pharrell Williams is the only celebrity so far that had the balls to call him a Bully . Finally someone to say something TRUE, but "politically incorrect"..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-officer.html

Reminds me of that famous song, "I fought the law, and the law won"

I'm not happy that someone was killed here, but I think it's important to realize that one's actions have consequences too.

There have been over a dozen teens killed by police since Michael Brown. It's an epidemic right?

But if you look at WHY the police shot, it makes sense the lives of others or their own lives were at risk.

If cops were randomly shooting innocent people because of their skin color, I'd join in these protests too.

The best way to protect against being killed by a cop is by not being a criminal and not attacking police officers.
It's pretty simple and common sense...but common sense doesn't seem to be too common these days..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 07:59 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Where is the protest against the 'phantom' LAPD police cars?

Where is the protest against a failing LAUSD school system ?

Where is the protest against corrupt politicians in LA?

Where is the protest against overspending of our tax money which threatens the city?

Where is the protest about the delay of the freeway construction?
Um, you're looking at it, bub. This is a release of generalized frustration and sense of social powerlessness. If those issues you list, and others more similar, didn't exist, and this tragedy was a one off failure of the system, the citizenry would simply express regrets rather than boil over.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:12 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Good, lock them up. They're terrorizing innocent people.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:57 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Wonder if the jails serve the traditional Thanksgiving dinners?

Old 11-27-2014, 09:15 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
I think your "trending on twitter" comment says it all.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Ironically, that's exactly what's being protested: innocent people being terrorized the defacto institution of power and control in our society. In this case, the symbol of "innocent" may not have been innocent. But that is the pent up frustration.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:38 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Great post, I'd give you reputation if I could. Funny how these "victims" blame everyone but the people that actually hurt them... gang members, etc.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:54 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
I can see that they are using Mr. Brown as a poster child for the 'cause' .
Looking at the crowd in L.A at least it feels like it's a bunch of the same people that might have been involved in Occupy Wall Street.

I feel like with Occupy Wall Street though , I could see that there were valid arguments especially against the big banks and their crooked activity . Pretty much all the big banks paid huge fines of billions because of their greedy actions, etc.

In this case though, I wonder if these protesters even did a little research.

The problem is they just don't seem to care.

They needed SOMETHING to use to, to jump on and the major media on BOTH sides gave them something to get pissed about ..media on both sides did this..

People need a scapegoat , because actually fixing things is so much work.

A famous peaceful protester and amazing Leader named Gandhi once said

"'Be the change that you wish to see in the world."

That takes work. It means showing up every day. Being a parent that teaches your child respect, values and hard work. Being a student that doesn't just get good grades, but actually has an INTEREST in learning inside and outside of the classroom.
Having some intellectual curiosity.

So many people are their own worst enemy and they don't even realize it. It's tragic.

People have more power to change themselves than anything else. Why not start there?

It's so much easier to point the finger and yell "YOU/THEY NEED TO FIX THIS!" instead of yelling to yourself "I NEED TO FIX ME"

We can't wait on politicians to change ourselves. We can't wait on Preachers to change ourselves. We can't wait on the schools to fix us or our children.

I wish people like Rev . Al Sharpton , if he wants to be a leader would encourage people , to just fix one thing about themselves. None of us are perfect. Maybe it means to fix not having a degree. Or fix not having a good relationship with our kids. Or fix our income.

Sadly this is not a popular thing to say.

I think he could channel his powerful voice for good. He's got a loud voice, but for him to truely speak to all Americans no matter their background.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone , let's all try and be that change we want to see.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:54 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,980,674 times
Many of these people are not protesters. They are thugs taking advantage to loot and destroy their own neighborhoods and the jobs that come with them.

Great post.

It is happening here in Oakland also.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I can see that they are using Mr. Brown as a poster child for the 'cause' .
Looking at the crowd in L.A at least it feels like it's a bunch of the same people that might have been involved in Occupy Wall Street.

I feel like with Occupy Wall Street though , I could see that there were valid arguments especially against the big banks and their crooked activity . Pretty much all the big banks paid huge fines of billions because of their greedy actions, etc.

In this case though, I wonder if these protesters even did a little research.

The problem is they just don't seem to care.

They needed SOMETHING to use to, to jump on and the major media on BOTH sides gave them something to get pissed about ..media on both sides did this..

People need a scapegoat , because actually fixing things is so much work.

A famous peaceful protester and amazing Leader named Gandhi once said

"'Be the change that you wish to see in the world."

That takes work. It means showing up every day. Being a parent that teaches your child respect, values and hard work. Being a student that doesn't just get good grades, but actually has an INTEREST in learning inside and outside of the classroom.
Having some intellectual curiosity.

So many people are their own worst enemy and they don't even realize it. It's tragic.

People have more power to change themselves than anything else. Why not start there?

It's so much easier to point the finger and yell "YOU/THEY NEED TO FIX THIS!" instead of yelling to yourself "I NEED TO FIX ME"

We can't wait on politicians to change ourselves. We can't wait on Preachers to change ourselves. We can't wait on the schools to fix us or our children.

I wish people like Rev . Al Sharpton , if he wants to be a leader would encourage people , to just fix one thing about themselves. None of us are perfect. Maybe it means to fix not having a degree. Or fix not having a good relationship with our kids. Or fix our income.

Sadly this is not a popular thing to say.

I think he could channel his powerful voice for good. He's got a loud voice, but for him to truely speak to all Americans no matter their background.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone , let's all try and be that change we want to see.
Very good thoughts, Jim. But yeah, intellectual laziness is, curiously, endemic to our very species - where intellect is the one distinguishing tool we have over all other species. Easy to throw in with packaged ideologies rather than think things through rationally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles