Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 06:54 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
You and GOogle employees didn't work all that hard. You don't work all that hard for a white collar cushy job. You just get lucky. It's luck of the draw. That's all it is. Not smarter, not better, not more hard working.

Google will bring in 2500 a month studio apartments, $20 hamburgers, and more congestion and traffic than you could imagine
are you trolling? If not, you are obviously clueless as to how somebody reaches the point in their lives where google will consider hiring them. it has nothing to do with luck, it has to with hard work and excellent decision making skills (i.e. deciding to study rather than get drunk with friends). obviously white collar workers don't work hard in a physical sense, but many work very hard in the amount of hours they put in and the stress they deal with. sure some people may get lucky, but in a company with thousands of employees most certainly earned their place at the table. even if some of the workers do have it fairly easy, they work in positions that generate value for a high earning company. if you worker harder that someone at google, make less money that this person, and are upset about it, maybe you chose the incorrect career path. if you want to make money, you don't become a teacher. if you want to change lives, good for you, but you don't expect to become rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 07:18 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
are you trolling? If not, you are obviously clueless as to how somebody reaches the point in their lives where google will consider hiring them. it has nothing to do with luck, it has to with hard work and excellent decision making skills (i.e. deciding to study rather than get drunk with friends). obviously white collar workers don't work hard in a physical sense, but many work very hard in the amount of hours they put in and the stress they deal with. sure some people may get lucky, but in a company with thousands of employees most certainly earned their place at the table. even if some of the workers do have it fairly easy, they work in positions that generate value for a high earning company. if you worker harder that someone at google, make less money that this person, and are upset about it, maybe you chose the incorrect career path. if you want to make money, you don't become a teacher. if you want to change lives, good for you, but you don't expect to become rich.
They hit the genetic lottery - not in looks (usually) but with innate math and science and computer skills. This applies to engineers and any computer scientists/programmers. Laziest people who barely work and get paid an incredible amount. They work hard? Please what about the poor person who works 3 jobs and now can't afford rent?

Old 12-05-2014, 07:32 PM

399 posts, read 406,784 times
Quote:
They hit the genetic lottery - not in looks (usually) but with innate math and science and computer skills. This applies to engineers and any computer scientists/programmers. Laziest people who barely work and get paid an incredible amount. They work hard? Please what about the poor person who works 3 jobs and now can't afford rent?
Not all work is equal. Doesn't matter if you're working 3 jobs or 10. The reason you have to work 3 jobs in the first place is because what you do isn't very important and can be done by most people. That's kinda the reason people learn skills and better themselves.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:46 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
"You didn't build that."

Old 12-05-2014, 09:49 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post

You used to contribute some insightful opinions on these forums
I doubt it.

Quote:

instead of veiled insults.
Was is veiled? I felt it was pretty straight forward.

Quote:

So worthless seems pretty relative here.
Odd that your opinion of me changes after we have a disagreement in another thread.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:20 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Not happy about it. The Marina and Venice Beach and Culver City are all very expensive already. If Venice Beach turns corporate and gets over run by techies, the westside is over. That already happened to downtown SaMo. We don't need another soulless downtown SaMo. That seems to come along with the tech industry like what's happening in the Bay Area. Affordable apartments will be virtually non-existent on the westside with Google and most likely more tech companies moving in.

Aside from just the costs, think about the people. The techie crowd in SF has culturally ruined the city. I pray that doesn't happen to the westside.

Hopefully Google can seamlessly move in, contribute to the area financially, and live side-by-side with the previous residents. That seems impossible for Google to do, but maybe LA is the place where this can happen.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:27 PM

399 posts, read 406,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Affordable apartments will be virtually non-existent on the westside with Google and most likely more tech companies moving in.
"Affordable" is a relative term. I'm sure they'll be quite affordable for the Google employees who decide to live there. What makes you feel you deserve the apartment for less money than the guy next to you is willing to pay?

Quote:
We don't need another soulless downtown SaMo. That seems to come along with the tech industry like what's happening in the Bay Area... The techie crowd in SF has culturally ruined the city.
Yes, the schizophrenic homeless bums, druggie transvestites, and other melange that makes San Francisco a melting pot of wonderful will be greatly missed. High culture indeed. Best visit the Bay Area before these cultural treasures are completely wiped out by the evil techie. Don't forget to bring your pepper spray.

Quote:
Affordable apartments will be virtually non-existent on the westside with Google and most likely more tech companies moving in.
They won't be sitting empty, that's for damn sure. So, not to worry, there will ALWAYS be affordable housing on the Westside.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:46 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,589 times
Quote:
Do you know how your TV works? What your blender does to blend? How your computer receives information from the internet? Why the car you drive to work drives? Programmers and engineers are why these things work. And if you think they were programmed or engineered by some dude sitting on his butt all day not working, maybe you should pickup programming TVs since any lazy person can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Odd that your opinion of me changes after we have a disagreement in another thread.
My opinion of you changed not because we disagreed, but because I thought you were one of the few users capable of having intelligent discourse with informative rebuttals. But you basically just boiled your stance down to "lol ur wrong and PC, u suck" and then proceeded to insult the people commenting after. Your comments here are a rinse and repeat and I've quickly learned there's not much substance behind the keyboard.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:26 AM

822 posts, read 1,283,791 times
Quote:
You and GOogle employees didn't work all that hard. You don't work all that hard for a white collar cushy job. You just get lucky. It's luck of the draw. That's all it is. Not smarter, not better, not more hard working.

Google will bring in 2500 a month studio apartments, $20 hamburgers, and more congestion and traffic than you could imagine
To work at Google, you have to have very good standardized test scores, went to an elite school meaning an Ivy, MIT, Cal Tech, Stanford or a lower tier school i.e. Cal, UCLA and USC etc. but were ranked at the top or near the top of your class. Google doesn't hire people from LACC. Some of their employees are from India and went to IIT, which is the equivalent of MIT but frankly having worked with grads from their in another field they are smart. Much smarter than your top ranked American. Its not luck of the draw. These same kind of qualifications are required to go into elite fields such as investment banking, trading and money management. If you didn't make the cut, bad luck may have played a part but it also means you didn't have the mental bandwith, stamina and sense of urgency desired. I'm not saying you are a loser. But when you try to discount people with better jobs and make more money don't think they didn't earn that position. When you say that you are the loser.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:18 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
My opinion of you changed not because we disagreed, but because I thought you were one of the few users capable of having intelligent discourse with informative rebuttals. But you basically just boiled your stance down to "lol ur wrong and PC, u suck" and then proceeded to insult the people commenting after. Your comments here are a rinse and repeat and I've quickly learned there's not much substance behind the keyboard.
But you weren't trying to engage in intelligent discourse. You were being intellectually dishonest by challenging people without committing to a single stance or opinion of your own, just to avoid taking a stand of any kind on the issue. You were constantly saying "but I never stated my opinion" to exasperated posters because you were being so flippant and condescending while also being vapid and standoffish. And even though you refused to stand by an opinion of any kind you still derided people that you disagreed with. Intellectual dishonesty. You brought absolutely nothing to that discussion.
You don't get to play righteous and indignant while "playing devil's advocate."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles