Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:37 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times

Advertisements

Do what you're supposed to and they won't bother you. Do otherwise and you might get your a$$ kicked.

The answer to the question is yes. It's not all bad, in some cases they get more done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:16 PM

30 posts, read 126,147 times
LAPD is probably the finest police force in the United States, IMO.

I know when they show up, things will get under control, one way or another. I feel they are top notch.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:03 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
I don't think their Corrupt,but they can be Brutal depending on the situation and the type of people they are running into,such as Gangsters,Druggies,Criminal Types or even Disrespectful People.

Remember that when your a Cop you can't show your weak,because that's when the types of people I previously mentioned will take advantage.

I applaud the LAPD for all their works and efforts.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:05 PM

49 posts, read 200,466 times
Is the whole LAPD corrupt and brutal?

No. I've met a few respectful officers who were just doing their job. The veterans cops are usually very nice.

Are their individual LAPD officers that are corrupt?

Yes.

Some officers do illegal things everyday themselves. Whether cutting across stop lights or searching vehicles without reason. Some show force and attitude immediately. Some involve themselves in drug trades. Some are racist and pull people over based on their color. Some instigate gang wars. Some murder and cover it up("sprinkle a little crack on em"). And Some are simply just gangsters with badges. And many understand the art of mindgames and manipulation.

While some of them are just humble people who can differentiate when they should be forceful and when they should be respectful.

It runs the gamut.
I've been treated like a criminal all because I rode a skateboard. On two seperate occasions I was disrespected and asked to lay on the hot concrete face first while they put handcuffs on me(i was 15 at the time).
One time I was pulled over with a friend, because of an assumption we were buying methamphetamines. Only because my friend we dropped off happened to live in a ****ty area. The cops knew they harrassed us, so all they could say is for me to throw my Marijuana out(which by the way he stated Marijuana is not worth his time) True talk.

But at the same time..I've had cops ask me nicely to come back to skateboard the H.S. after 5:00p.m. when less people were around. He acted with respect, so I had respect for him.
When cops immediately treat others with dis-respect, then they are nothing but high school bullies who got a badge. Officers have no reason to show immediate force to others without a reason. Just because you wear sneakers, shaved head, khakis/dickies, and plain t-shirts, doesn't give any officer a reason to assume you're a criminal. This is simply a So-Cal style/fashion.

Last edited by Sakana; 06-14-2008 at 07:49 PM..

Old 06-14-2008, 07:25 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah M View Post
What's their "record of racism"? Where can I read this alleged record?

As far as I know, the LAPD shows hostility towards criminals, which they should since its the LAPD's job to protect us. I don't know if they show hostility to anybody simply for being a "minority". Have any proof of this behavior?
Are you a minority? I'm guessing not because if you were one or drove in the car with one on a regular basis you would see how many of us get harassed with routine stops for no other reason but to check our license and registration. Since no ticket is issued, I don't know how much goes on record but the cops usually act like A*** the whole time they are asking for the information like 2 seconds is taking too long. I've actually contemplated doing some type of hidden camera story since most non-minorities will never understand how getting stopped (even if not being issued a ticket) just because you're a minority in a nice car is quite annoying. This happened to me within a month of moving here (never happened to me previously and I'm from the South) and several of my minority friends/co-workers here had similar stories to tell once I shared my incident with them. I have never been afraid of cops but now that I'm here, I often drive in fear, not of criminals but rogue LAPD police officers that may try to harm me or plant evidence...

It's ashame because my other experiences with L.A have been positive.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:01 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,953 times
I've been meaning to ask this for a while. How would the LAPD act if they saw people in interracial relationships? There's a movie coming out called "Lakeview Terrace" about that.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:14 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
some of you dont live the experience of a black or brown person in LA. and it shows.

so, the LAPD DOES have a history of being corrupt

but as a dept... they are not corrupt.

are they brutal?

very.

this is from personal experience as well as having cop friends.

the truth is that they have the power and even if you are not doin anything illegal you can get caught up in some mess.

the worst thing you can do is question them.

i have had to step out of the car on a couple of occasions and the one time i asked "why", "whats the problem", they had me up against a fence.

it aint so much about race as much as it is about power.

the worst cops to me have been the same complexion as me. and no matter what i say, some of them aint having it. im a home owner. i pay taxes. professional job. have a family. they dont believe it. its because they already dont trust the people.

all you can really do is bo-bo along. be a lil monkey following ques.

it sucks but thats the way it is.

i fear the cops as much as the thugs.

i always make sure to not have anything in my lap, always show my hands. pull my hat, hood, whatever off.

it sucks. but i'd rather these power tripping punks waste my time and no my life.

i do have cop friends. LAPD, other depts. and sherriffs. even messed with a few. they were the good guys, but they sure shared (in confidence) what theyre partners did.

everyhting portrayed in the movies happens. this is the reality. not all cops are like that. but its funny that for every good cop i know, they all tell me about plenty bad ones.

they also know the tricks. as long as you use your hands, you dont have to report hitting a perp. use your batton, then well you have to write that in. lots of lil "tips" i would rather not divulge. and thats not even getting into "missions"

all you can do is

BO BO along.

being a cop in LA is tuff, even tuffer in the hood. they get jaded pretty quick. i have had some friends tell me that they dont respect black people after working 77th. they know that mentality is not right, but they dont trust many people after what they have seen. cops see the worst of the worst. its hard to seperate that from the rest of the population.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:33 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
some of you dont live the experience of a black or brown person in LA. and it shows.

so, the LAPD DOES have a history of being corrupt

but as a dept... they are not corrupt.

are they brutal?

very.

this is from personal experience as well as having cop friends.

the truth is that they have the power and even if you are not doin anything illegal you can get caught up in some mess.

the worst thing you can do is question them.

i have had to step out of the car on a couple of occasions and the one time i asked "why", "whats the problem", they had me up against a fence.

it aint so much about race as much as it is about power.

the worst cops to me have been the same complexion as me. and no matter what i say, some of them aint having it. im a home owner. i pay taxes. professional job. have a family. they dont believe it. its because they already dont trust the people.

all you can really do is bo-bo along. be a lil monkey following ques.

it sucks but thats the way it is.

i fear the cops as much as the thugs.

i always make sure to not have anything in my lap, always show my hands. pull my hat, hood, whatever off.

it sucks. but i'd rather these power tripping punks waste my time and no my life.

i do have cop friends. LAPD, other depts. and sherriffs. even messed with a few. they were the good guys, but they sure shared (in confidence) what theyre partners did.

everyhting portrayed in the movies happens. this is the reality. not all cops are like that. but its funny that for every good cop i know, they all tell me about plenty bad ones.

they also know the tricks. as long as you use your hands, you dont have to report hitting a perp. use your batton, then well you have to write that in. lots of lil "tips" i would rather not divulge. and thats not even getting into "missions"

all you can do is

BO BO along.

being a cop in LA is tuff, even tuffer in the hood. they get jaded pretty quick. i have had some friends tell me that they dont respect black people after working 77th. they know that mentality is not right, but they dont trust many people after what they have seen. cops see the worst of the worst. its hard to seperate that from the rest of the population.
Agree with much of what you wrote.

Reminds me of a cop wanting to beat me down when I asked(slowly and clearly) if I could remove my jacket and place it on top of my car cuz I was sweating bullets.

In retrospect that was pretty dumb of me, but at least I didnt just try to take it off. Im 100 percent positive I wouldve wound up with a bullet in my forehead.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
One thing some people seem to forget is that police officers are human beings. They are just like you. There will be good ones and there are bad ones. They will make mistakes. Yet, they are held to a much higher standard. Being a firefighter, I get this a lot. If someone does something wrong, they make the paper and it becomes a big deal because they are fire or police. You hear about the few bad apples, but never about the hundreds or good ones in the city. They are all there doing their job, but the good ones never make the news.

These days though, it's nearly impossible to get hired with anything on your record as a firefighter. As police, it's a little easier because less people want the job, but it's still tough.

Also, like others have said, this is the LAPD. Of course they will be a little more agressive. You can't walk around being Mr. Nice Guy all of the time. Then people will take advantage of you. When you see murders on a weekly basis, your atitude on the job WILL change. It NEEDS to change.

These men and women put up with a lot of crap just to protect everyone. I'm sure most have risked their lives at one point or another. Seeing the crime and deaths has an effect on someone. I don't work in LA, but I still see a lot here in Milwaukee. I'm only 20 and I've already seen more dead people than most do in their lives. It has definitely changed me and my opinions on people.

Just remember that these men and women are there to protect you. Sure they are tough, but where would you be without them? The LAPD is definitely top notch and in my opinion, the best in the country.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
I wouldn't say they're corrupt, but probably more vigilant. But hey, I've never had experiences with them and hopefully never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles