Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:56 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,649 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I think El A natives can easily spot someone who's not from EL A if that particular individual is acting too non El A to be natively from El A. Pronouncing things El A'ians know are wrong like Cahuenga, Sepulveda, Wilshire are typically El A clues that someone isn't from El A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 05:10 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Correction: The 4 people who mention it every time that user posts care. There's actually a 10 page post or so about this already on the forums, where most people conceded it doesn't bother them. I think I'm going to start saying El A too just to ρiss off people who get upset over it.
The problem with this board is that some people are obsessed with controlling it and feel entitlement to do so given their longer tenure. El A is for everyone and so is this board IMO. We can all agree to disagree but to harass and stalk people IMO shows one has no life outside of these forums. I mean is it really that important for someone to keep harping on usage of El A? How do you monetize that? If you cant make money by forcing a change why bother and harass? We all know what it means. When I coined it I thought it reflected the cities Hispanic population as well as its roots with Mexico. Also, its in line with many of the Spanish street names and architecture. I love El A.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:59 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I'm a boomer who was raised in California, then moved away many years ago. We never used terms like the 405 because our freeways/highways all had Names: The San Bernadino, the Pasadena, PCH, the golden state, etc. Funny that.
Ha! And that's how you know the real natives....

Old 12-09-2014, 07:16 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Correction: The 4 people who mention it every time that user posts care. There's actually a 10 page post or so about this already on the forums, where most people conceded it doesn't bother them. I think I'm going to start saying El A too just to ρiss off people who get upset over it.
That's why I said "some." There is no correction.

Do as you please. I don't care that you find it annoying that some of us, find "El A" and "Cali" annoying as hell. I'm still going to express my hatred of those terms.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLady13 View Post
i am from florida and will be moving next year to los angeles and i am already prepared for the cold weather. i will be bringing my sweaters and warm clothes with me. and btw, it does get cold in florida at night during the winter months too. but not all the time like california.

Doesn't sound like you're very familiar with Los Angeles weather at all. It can and does get much colder at night in FL in the winter with temps in the 20s and 30s. LA normally sees winter lows at night in the 40s and sometimes 30s.

I have been in FL(Tampa area) where it has gotten down into the teens at night, never saw anything close to that in LA at night in the winter.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yNi...=RD3yNibj8LW-Q
This is much better than the Albert Hammond version.
You're mixing up two different songs. The Albert Hammond song is not this song, so they can't be versions.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:29 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
The reason I prefer living in Long Beach as opposed to, say, the Westside is because I prefer living around native Californians -- they tend to be happier, easier-going, more positive, and less pretentious than most of the transplants, many of whom seem to be from the East Coast and highly cynical of LA. I don't want to listen to their constant whining, complaining, and "kvetching." The good thing is that much of Long Beach and the South Bay, believe it or not, is very native.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:32 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
The reason I prefer living in Long Beach as opposed to, say, the Westside is because I prefer living around native Californians -- they tend to be happier, easier-going, more positive, and less pretentious than most of the transplants, many of whom seem to be from the East Coast and highly cynical of LA. I don't want to listen to their constant whining, complaining, and "kvetching." The good thing is that much of Long Beach and the South Bay, believe it or not, is very native.
Very true. Natives tend to be happier, easier-going, more positive and less pretentious than transplants. You're also right that areas like Long Beach and South bay (also SFV and SGV) have tons of natives. It's westside and hollywood filled with transplants.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Yeah that's true. In my neighborhood , I doubt there hardly any transplants , well not from the midwest or east coast types but more likely from Mexico,etc.

That's one of the things I like about the area, while it's not trendy , there's also no snob factor or attitude either.

This is also why these areas don't attract the pretentious transplant crowd ( i know not all of them are pretentious).

Most of the Valley North of Ventura Blvd is pretty down to earth and not stereotypical "L.A".

The "too cool for school" attitude is annoying, especially when it comes from someone that just moved here recently.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that's true. In my neighborhood , I doubt there hardly any transplants , well not from the midwest or east coast types but more likely from Mexico,etc.

That's one of the things I like about the area, while it's not trendy , there's also no snob factor or attitude either.

This is also why these areas don't attract the pretentious transplant crowd ( i know not all of them are pretentious).

Most of the Valley North of Ventura Blvd is pretty down to earth and not stereotypical "L.A".

The "too cool for school" attitude is annoying, especially when it comes from someone that just moved here recently.
The Valley and, until recently, Northeast LA have been the last redoubts of real Angelenos. With all the changes in NE LA the transplant population (other than Latin American and Asian immigrants) is probably rapidly increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles