Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 05:23 PM

27 posts, read 28,715 times

Advertisements

So I've been wanting to move to LA for a long time now, and I'm beginning to put the wheels in motion so I can finally do it, but I started really thinking about earthquakes, and it's beginning to freak me out. This 'big one' that's overdue is worrying me. Can LA withstand a major earthquake? I know I have a greater chance of dying in a car accident on an LA freeway, but this still scares me.

Please convince me that I'm being irrational. I really love southern California and want to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 05:46 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
Which natural disaster-free region of the country are you coming from?

Old 12-10-2014, 05:50 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,589 times
Don't live your life in fear of the unexpected. A hurricane, tornado, tsunami, flood, fire could take you out at any moment wherever you currently live. While they keep saying the big one is overdue, you can do as much as possible to protect yourself. Invest in earthquake insurance for your home, property, or car. Typically earthquakes are not covered under normal insurance policies. Have a supply of food, flashlights, batteries, and water in case there is an emergency where the power will be out for an unspecified time. There are minor earthquakes every week that you won't even feel. The March Westwood quakes were a bit of a wake up call because we hadn't experienced severe ones in a quite a while. If you want to move to LA, do it.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:52 PM

539 posts, read 523,196 times
No that would never deter me... Although I am from Pittsburgh and I cannot think of any natural disaster that could hit that city except a blizzard (?)

Old 12-10-2014, 05:57 PM

I'm coming from Montreal where the weather is awful for pretty much half the year. but at least we're relatively safe. I don't think there's a real risk of any natural disaster wiping out Montreal.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:17 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP Plumbing View Post
I'm coming from Montreal where the weather is awful for pretty much half the year. but at least we're relatively safe. I don't think there's a real risk of any natural disaster wiping out Montreal.
We used to think that in New York City, too. Last few years have taught us otherwise.

Nature is nature. She'll do what she wants when she wants. Just try and learn from the past and be prepared.

We are moving to LA within the next two years and whatever happens, will happen.

Pretty much everything else is worth the roof falling in every so often!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:17 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Los Angeles isn't overdue for a big earthquake. There is no timeline on earthquakes. They're unpredictable, just like everything in life.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
We used to think that in New York City, too. Last few years have taught us otherwise.

Nature is nature. She'll do what she wants when she wants. Just try and learn from the past and be prepared.

We are moving to LA within the next two years and whatever happens, will happen.

Pretty much everything else is worth the roof falling in every so often!
What natural disasters has NYC had that's on the same level as a massive earthquake?

Old 12-10-2014, 07:08 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP Plumbing View Post
What natural disasters has NYC had that's on the same level as a massive earthquake?
Superstorm Sandy came pretty close. Some people are still rebuilding.

Two years before that we were hit with a couple of tornadoes that killed a few people.

Point is we never had anything like that happen before and never know when it might happen again. They say the next time a big storm like Sandy hits half the city could flood.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:24 PM

527 posts, read 708,577 times
Why move from Montreal? It's an amazing city! Je me souviens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles