Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 10:13 AM

822 posts, read 1,284,512 times

Advertisements

If you are a tourist and you come to El A and stay say in the McArthur Park area I think you would be in culture shock and wonder if this is the U.S. and not a third world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 12:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
LA might be disappointing to people who arrive expecting a city that automatically caters to tourists like NYC. The thing I found out that was surprising is how much the city of LA doesn't realize its a world renown city. It runs its affairs without that in mind. It knows tourists come and visit Hollywood or Santa Monica but it's not really screaming Welcome to LA. A tourist might feel underwhelmed, as though they landed in just another big city with a few tourist attractions.

The stuff that's not advertised as much is even better than the stuff that is; Getty museum and villa, griffith observatory, griffith park, the hidden beaches, Koreatown BBQ, etc.
Even though I am not a lover of Los Angeles anymore, I totally agree with you: stay away from the real touristy part of the city, be sure to allow enough time to really see things and don't try to do the area without a car. Along with things like Getty museum, Griffith Park, there are things like the Huntington Library and gardens, the missions,especially San Gabriel, the arboritum in Arcadia, reataurants that have been around for 70 or more years, Grand Central market, and on and on and on. I would never choose to live in or near the city again, I don't find it particularly friendly but I do love to visit.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:42 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
This article is from fox news.

I don't think anything else needs to be said.
How about is "the pot calling the kettle black"?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:44 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
LA might be disappointing to people who arrive expecting a city that automatically caters to tourists like NYC.
Does NYC cater to tourists? The city itself is more tourist-friendly by virtue of being denser and having better public transit, but New Yorkers hate tourists. Stop to take a picture of the skyline? Get cussed out by a New Yorker for slowing him down. Take an extra few seconds to familiarize yourself with the public transit? Get cussed out by a New Yorker for getting in his way. Ask a New Yorker for directions somewhere? Get cussed out for not knowing where you're going. Etc.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:31 PM

496 posts, read 574,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Does NYC cater to tourists? The city itself is more tourist-friendly by virtue of being denser and having better public transit, but New Yorkers hate tourists. Stop to take a picture of the skyline? Get cussed out by a New Yorker for slowing him down. Take an extra few seconds to familiarize yourself with the public transit? Get cussed out by a New Yorker for getting in his way. Ask a New Yorker for directions somewhere? Get cussed out for not knowing where you're going. Etc.
since i was a child, I heard new yorkers are "mean" to tourists....maybe there is some truth to that.....being a 28 year old native LA native....I STILL have not been lol but hoping to see it soon.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:40 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,512 times
Quote:
I almost got ripped off by a livery driver who decided to take the long way to JFK. I was so pissed I kicked his seat and nearly put the guys head through the windshield and the car came to a screeching halt. He was so shaken he took me to the airport without charge. Another time, I apparently undertipped a Pakastani cab driver. The guy was so pissed he ran out and punched me in the back. That is one crazy place.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
If you are a tourist and you come to El A and stay say in the McArthur Park area I think you would be in culture shock and wonder if this is the U.S. and not a third world country.
it's funny you mention this. i was taking the redline home from a work engagement in universal city a handful of years ago and started talking to some 20 something female aussies that were also on the train back to their hotel from the universal studios. their travel agent had them staying on wilshire in macarthur park. they were wondering where all the americans were. i mentioned the westside would have more famous attractions (rodeo dr., venice beach, santa monic pier, etc.), but they were without car and weren't interested in using the bus. i'm certain they left LA with a very bad taste in their mouth. i personally don't care, they should have been better prepared. I am empathetic to the hotel location though, i would be pissed at my travel agent if i was in their shoes. the funniest part though was that they were on there way to miami in the coming days. they were shocked when i told them that miami had a higher percentage of latinos than LA.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
I'm a LA native and feel a culture shock whenever I'm in the area. Langer's Pastrami on Alvarado can't be beat though! That restaurant is way out of place in that neighborhood as an old LA relic.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:06 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
NYC has some areas like that. Areas of NYC that are majority immigrant or just haven't even gotten a whiff of gentrification can feel like you stepped into a different country. But the thing is no one who visits NYC goes to those areas so they never know about them. Dummies who come to Los Angeles to visit Hollywood thinking it's going to be 20 square miles of Rodeo Drive see a shabby, slummy area and say the entire city is crap. It's pure ignorance.
Since I moved here I've had several family members and friends from back East come out and they've all had great stays. I take them to cool, fun areas and good restaurants, not the tourist spots. A few have wanted to get pictures near the Hollywood sign, and that's fine, but even I don't spend much time in Hollywood proper and I live in WeHo. It's all about how you plan your trip because Los Angeles is a massive city with ridiculous diversity in every aspect. If you don't do any research and expect things to be like in the movies then you're setting yourself up for a bad time.
And the Pyramids are ****ing breathtaking. This article is stupid.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:31 PM

496 posts, read 574,469 times
Quote:
NYC has some areas like that. Areas of NYC that are majority immigrant or just haven't even gotten a whiff of gentrification can feel like you stepped into a different country. But the thing is no one who visits NYC goes to those areas so they never know about them. Dummies who come to Los Angeles to visit Hollywood thinking it's going to be 20 square miles of Rodeo Drive see a shabby, slummy area and say the entire city is crap. It's pure ignorance.
Since I moved here I've had several family members and friends from back East come out and they've all had great stays. I take them to cool, fun areas and good restaurants, not the tourist spots. A few have wanted to get pictures near the Hollywood sign, and that's fine, but even I don't spend much time in Hollywood proper and I live in WeHo. It's all about how you plan your trip because Los Angeles is a massive city with ridiculous diversity in every aspect. If you don't do any research and expect things to be like in the movies then you're setting yourself up for a bad time.
And the Pyramids are ****ing breathtaking. This article is stupid.
this was written perfectly!!!! sooooo many people think hollywood blvd is rodeo drive and its NOT!! lol people need to research before they travel! LA is soo much more than hollywood blvd people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles