Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 11:01 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times

Advertisements

There are a large number of young(er) professionals, lets say late 20s to 40ish in age, who make six figures in Santa Monica. By wealthiest part of LA county I mean Santa Monica is a fairly large city (about 100,000 people) and has some of the highest home prices and THE highest rents in LA county. The bar scene in Santa Monica also attracts young people in neighboring areas that aren't as pricy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:20 AM

45 posts, read 46,911 times
How is the social scene in a place that's a little more reasonably priced and inland, like Brentwood? From my research, it looks like the crowd there is a little younger since it's close to UCLA, the housing in walkable area's is more scarce, but more reasonably priced, and it's still relatively close to the beach.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:41 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
If you want more of a Bohemian vibe like you'd find in Austin, you're not going to find it in SaMo or one of the Beach Cities -- you'd have to search farther inland (i.e., Silver Lake, Pasadena).

Old 12-15-2014, 11:23 AM

Or Venice, but not sure OP wants a Bohemian vibe.

Brentwood (which doesn't really have any late night bars, so I mean West LA and Westwood) and Santa Monica have interchangeable social scenes. Unless you're trying to hang with exclusively undergrad college kids, you will find plenty of people from 25-35 in Santa Monica bars, as well as Westwood and West LA bars. around 30 is the median, your age. I don't think there's much if any age difference between the Beach Cities and Santa Monica/West LA bar scenes.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:38 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
If you want more of a Bohemian vibe like you'd find in Austin, you're not going to find it in SaMo or one of the Beach Cities -- you'd have to search farther inland (i.e., Silver Lake, Pasadena).
venice is probably the most bohemian part of LA and is on the coast, so i don't agree with you. silver lake is bohemian as well, but also very hipster and much less 'weird'.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:04 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Or Venice, but not sure OP wants a Bohemian vibe.

Brentwood (which doesn't really have any late night bars, so I mean West LA and Westwood) and Santa Monica have interchangeable social scenes. Unless you're trying to hang with exclusively undergrad college kids, you will find plenty of people from 25-35 in Santa Monica bars, as well as Westwood and West LA bars. around 30 is the median, your age. I don't think there's much if any age difference between the Beach Cities and Santa Monica/West LA bar scenes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
venice is probably the most bohemian part of LA and is on the coast, so i don't agree with you. silver lake is bohemian as well, but also very hipster and much less 'weird'.
It sounds like the OP wants something a little more upscale, which is why I didn't suggest Venice.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:29 PM

556 posts, read 762,689 times
OP, I understand that it's tempting to take your same salary from Austin to LA because of the decline in office hours, but if your job is really outside sales, then you replace 60 office hours with 30 driving hours in awful traffic, plus two days a week in your home office for a total of 46 to 50 non-traditional office hours. I'd rather work 10 more office hours than be stuck in traffic three days a week in a place that I make the same money, but doesn't go as far due to higher costs, taxes, etc.

It's alluring, but really think about the opportunity costs here as well.

That being said, if you're dead set on it, SM seems like a good fit. Manhattan and Hermosa are also nice, but a little "bro-ier" and still fairly pricey.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
It sounds like the OP wants something a little more upscale, which is why I didn't suggest Venice.
Parts of Venice are very upscale these days. More so than Silver Lake.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I can't understand, if you enjoy living in Austin why you would relocate for the same salary, but what do I know? As long as you think this is what you want to do, I would consider one of the beach communities, they will be liberal or somewhat so, Silver Lake or maybe west L.A. Good luck and enjoy your new adventure as long as you really think this is what you want to do.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:33 PM

45 posts, read 46,911 times
While I'm a big fan of Austin, I'm not much into the hipster side. I also tend to date women younger than me ~25-29. Which is why Austin is great for me since it's got a large college population and graduates tend to stick around for the job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles