Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:46 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,634,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I've heard that their live traffic enforcement police makes LAPD look like school crossing guards
Could you elaborate?

I'm a transplant who got here in March who lives in the city, Weho/Western Hollywood section.

I feel like it's hard to get a ticket here in LA (at least in and broadly around my neighborhood) for several reasons:

1. Traffic just flows, and everyone pretty much knows how to drive well. People don't have time to pull stupid *****, and there's no room/time to speed. If you are stupid and wreckless you're just going to probably cause an accident which will get police attention, but like I said, traffic just flows for the most part.

On another note, I understand the snob/prestige/gotta-have-it factor, but I think driving a Ferarri or Lambo is about the stupidest and most impractical (and uncomfortable) car to drive in the thick of LA traffic. Buy a comfy Rolls-Royce with 350k, not a track car that you'll never use.

2. Cops never just sit and wait to bust people. The majority of the time I see a cop it's when they're blaring their sirens. I feel like they have way bigger fish to fry than traffic violators. I was realllly worried about coming here to LA with 5% tint all around and considering having it stripped, but quickly realized it's definitely not a problem.

3. This isn't really a reason, but I notice soooooo many cars with expired tags. I spot one or more at virtually every intersection. This also tells me they have bigger fish to fry, or just aren't there to spot said expired tags. It's like playing a video game with my husband in the car, who sees one first gets the most points, lol.

I've heard that cops ticket lots more people around OC and that the CHP gets people all the time. I guess this happens in Burbank too? Burbank is more spread out than my part of LA, but not by much. I never notice any increased amount of police presence when there (but granted that's not super often).

How bad is it there? How is it easier to get ticketed in Burbank, or did I merely answer my own question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 05:29 AM

12,271 posts, read 7,978,924 times
An example was turning when someone steps into the crosswalk on the opposite corner of a four lane street will draw a ticket in Burbank while being ignored in the rest of the state.

Most cop's ignore expired tags unless they need probable cause. Politically it is many things that ride along with illegal aliens not having license and special order 40. It is parking enforcement that issue tickets for expired registration

Old 01-07-2015, 02:06 PM

329 posts, read 652,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Yes, Cerritos does have them especially around the shopping center.
Are Artesia and Cerritos twin cities?
Does Artesia have any redlight cameras?

Old 01-07-2015, 04:35 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,818,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Could you elaborate?

I'm a transplant who got here in March who lives in the city, Weho/Western Hollywood section.

I feel like it's hard to get a ticket here in LA (at least in and broadly around my neighborhood) for several reasons:

1. Traffic just flows, and everyone pretty much knows how to drive well. People don't have time to pull stupid *****, and there's no room/time to speed. If you are stupid and wreckless you're just going to probably cause an accident which will get police attention, but like I said, traffic just flows for the most part.

On another note, I understand the snob/prestige/gotta-have-it factor, but I think driving a Ferarri or Lambo is about the stupidest and most impractical (and uncomfortable) car to drive in the thick of LA traffic. Buy a comfy Rolls-Royce with 350k, not a track car that you'll never use.

2. Cops never just sit and wait to bust people. The majority of the time I see a cop it's when they're blaring their sirens. I feel like they have way bigger fish to fry than traffic violators. I was realllly worried about coming here to LA with 5% tint all around and considering having it stripped, but quickly realized it's definitely not a problem.

3. This isn't really a reason, but I notice soooooo many cars with expired tags. I spot one or more at virtually every intersection. This also tells me they have bigger fish to fry, or just aren't there to spot said expired tags. It's like playing a video game with my husband in the car, who sees one first gets the most points, lol.

I've heard that cops ticket lots more people around OC and that the CHP gets people all the time. I guess this happens in Burbank too? Burbank is more spread out than my part of LA, but not by much. I never notice any increased amount of police presence when there (but granted that's not super often).

How bad is it there? How is it easier to get ticketed in Burbank, or did I merely answer my own question?
You are right on some accounts and wrong on some others.

1. There are plenty of streets where there is absolutely no traffic. The Woodley stretch after Burbank, Vanowen around Fry's electronics, Sunset between Doheny and Beverly Glen, I could go on and on. People do stupid crap all the time. Your traffic just flows statement and drivers can't pull stupid crap because there's no room/space/time seem to be confusing contradictions.

2. I can name three spots off the top of my head where cops sit and wait to snag people. There's a motorcycle cop that sits in a driveway off Laurel Canyon heading southbound towards Mulholland to catch people speeding up the hill. I see this cop at least biweekly, less now that it is winter. Another cop sits at the intersection of Hauser and 6th street to catch people making an illegal left turn onto Hauser during 4 - 7pm. I've encountered them at least once a month during my old commute. There's another cop spot in West Hollywood off of Formosa and Willoughby where they wait to catch people making the illegal northbound turn there.

3. You may not have experienced it yet, but I know a few people with heavy tints that were issued Fix-It tickets. Lack of license plates or updated tags seems to be one of the more forgiveable acts in Los Angeles, so I agree with you there.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:43 PM

99 posts, read 124,405 times
Are radar detectors permitted in LA county? This may solve your problem, good radar detector will find majority of the cameras and traps on the road. You can get one for $200, or get the ultimate Valentine1 for about $400. It will pay for itself in no time.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:15 PM

6,324 posts, read 7,671,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
When El Monte got rid of theirs it was said the real effect of the cameras were panic stops in situations SoCal drivers would normally go in. Causing a spike in rear ender accidents with no change in intersection T boning.
Up in the High Desert, (part of Los Angeles county), the city of Lancaster removed their red light cameras for this very reason. The city council admitted they were installed for the financial benefits to the city and not to improve safety. Also up here, none of the other cities ever had them, (i.e., Palmdale, Quartz Hill, Littlerock, Pearblossom, Lake Los Angeles, Acton).

Old 03-18-2015, 08:25 PM

Default Cerritos - RLC

Is it true that there are only three red light cameras in Cerritos?

"South Street and Gridley Road
South Street and Studebaker Road
Bloomfield Avenue and Artesia Boulevard"

Do these cameras catch violators in all directions?

I may be renting closer to Cerritos and wanted to get an understanding of the area in advance.

Is it possible to completely avoid these intersections by taking parallel & perpendicular roads? I saw from google maps they are located close to malls.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2015, 02:21 AM

84 posts, read 109,444 times
what they need is reckless driving cameras. Of coarse, with such evidence, 1,000,000 people would end up in jail.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizzer25 View Post
Good to know.

How do they do it in Burbank?

Updated List

Have:
Culver city
Valencia
Long Beach
West Hollywood
Cerritos

Doesnt Have:
Santa Monica
Beverly Hills (mostly)
ElSegundo
Torrance
Glendale
Pasadena
Burbank
I was going to my friends place in Pasadena taking exit on 710 N - valley view street. Are there any red light cameras in Alhambra?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles