Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 06:08 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Jack View Post
What's the difference? From my limited reading it seems that the San Gabriel is heavily Asian and SFV is heavily Latino?
yeah but the southern Valley communities are heavily white. Woodland Hills, Tarzana, Encino, Sherman Oaks, an Studio City. And Burbank which is its own city but still part of the valley. Canoga Park, Reseda North Hollywood, Tujunga, Sunland, Sylmar, Lakeside Terrace have some whites too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
I was from Chatsworth, and I always considered it a melting pot compared to the Southern Colorado area that I live in now.

I had friends who were white, Chicano as they described themselves, African-American, Asian... such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc., South Pacific... even a Russian.

We moved out in 77' for Colorado and it (SFV) became quite the concrete and industrial jungle. I lived about two blocks from where they filmed Bad News Bears. I'd met Reggie Smith's son. Anybody remember Reggie Smith? He played for the Dodgers.

Last edited by McGowdog; 12-15-2014 at 06:35 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 06:38 PM

26 posts, read 42,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
yeah but the southern Valley communities are heavily white. Woodland Hills, Tarzana, Encino, Sherman Oaks, an Studio City. And Burbank which is its own city but still part of the valley. Canoga Park, Reseda North Hollywood, Tujunga, Sunland, Sylmar, Lakeside Terrace have some whites too.
So these are more "middle class" communities for white folks in LA?

I have a question, I know a few people (well my best friend and his wife both Irish Bahhston people) who moved to Hawaii which has a similar percentage of non-Hispanic English speaking white people..and while they encountered no problems their kids (in junior high school) had a real problem at school with being bullied for being "Anglo". Kids are always horrible but in a place like LA would this be a concern for a kid in public school?

LA has nice weather and is a bit more moderate politically than the people up north in the Bay Area and certain areas seem to have what I am looking for so it's on the consideration list for me to gtfo of Boston. I am single but eventually I want to have a family and want to know what school would be like for them?

Old 12-15-2014, 07:15 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Kids are always horrible but in a place like LA would this be a concern for a kid in public school?
I am single but eventually I want to have a family and want to know what school would be like for them?
How do you already know your children are going to be White?

I mean, if you were to move to LA, there's no guarantee that the woman you fall in love with will also be White.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:33 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
So these are more "middle class" communities for white folks in LA?

I have a question, I know a few people (well my best friend and his wife both Irish Bahhston people) who moved to Hawaii which has a similar percentage of non-Hispanic English speaking white people..and while they encountered no problems their kids (in junior high school) had a real problem at school with being bullied for being "Anglo". Kids are always horrible but in a place like LA would this be a concern for a kid in public school?

LA has nice weather and is a bit more moderate politically than the people up north in the Bay Area and certain areas seem to have what I am looking for so it's on the consideration list for me to gtfo of Boston. I am single but eventually I want to have a family and want to know what school would be like for them?
Based on your post about the Pac NW, i'd say LA is most definitely not for you. Just MHO based on your stated preferences.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Based on your post about the Pac NW, i'd say LA is most definitely not for you. Just MHO based on your stated preferences.
Agreed... OP's hesitation about all things non-white indicate LA is NOT for him. Portland, Oregon could be ok. Utah, Idaho. Iowa, Minnesota. Kansas. Nebraska. But not LA, or California for that matter.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Agreed... OP's hesitation about all things non-white indicate LA is NOT for him. Portland, Oregon could be ok. Utah, Idaho. Iowa, Minnesota. Kansas. Nebraska. But not LA, or California for that matter.
He needs somewhere far right wing, like Colorado Springs, or Effingham, IL. Even the two fairly conservative cities he suggested for himself in WA and OR aren't right wing enough.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
He needs somewhere far right wing, like Colorado Springs, or Effingham, IL. Even the two fairly conservative cities he suggested for himself in WA and OR aren't right wing enough.
Mesa, AZ is the most conservative big city, but it has too many Hispanics for the OP. Even Colorado Springs at 30% nonwhite might be too ethnic. Where can he go? Couer d'Alene I guess, it's 93% white.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Mesa, AZ is the most conservative big city, but it has too many Hispanics for the OP. Even Colorado Springs at 30% nonwhite might be too ethnic. Where can he go? Couer d'Alene I guess, it's 93% white.
CDA was actually another place I didn't consider conservative enough.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:51 PM

26 posts, read 42,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
How do you already know your children are going to be White?

I mean, if you were to move to LA, there's no guarantee that the woman you fall in love with will also be White.
Because before I am white I am an Irish American and my culture is very important to me. I have no problem with people dating interacially but I like blonde hair blue eyes types preferably irish or English so I can raise my kids in my culture. Also I am as blonde as they come and if my future spouts isn't my kids probably wouldn't be and I would like that. I am not trying to get into an argument about interracial relationships because I don't care if others do it, but I do not. I wouldn't even be with an Eastern European or Italian woman because I want to preserve the culture that my grandparents brought from the old country and got passed down. Also Marriage (pre-req for me to have kids personally) is about more than love but also about shared values, cultures, how you want to raise kiddies, feelings toward religion, politics, education level. That's another topic for another thread though..so ANYWAYS

As for the other question about LA not being right...idk why I am not a bigot and I can see myself only really spending time in areas where English is spoken (all Americans speak english not just white people) and it seems Southern California is less crazy liberal opposed to the Bay Area. I can make sacrifices because I would prefer to be on a coast (not the MS gulf coast)

I am looking at La Canada Flintridge, La Crescenta, Woodland Hills, Sherman Oaks, the Fairfax district, Agoura Hills et. al. I would probably try to work in a hospital around there (I'm an EMT and a Veteran) to best avoid venturing deep into the city which I wouldn't want regardless if I was in LA, Portland, Boston or Dublin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles