Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:33 PM

126 posts, read 673,830 times

Advertisements

Thinking about buying a house about 1/5 mile from the foothills (like, the wide-open mountains) in the Arcadia area. The street dead-ends into the foothills, but the house does not directly abut open space. Talked to a neighbor up the street (closer to the foothills) who mentioned the occasional bear sightings and even a mountain lion sighting a few years back. The house is great, but I'm concerned about these large animals as I have small kids, nieces, nephews, a dog, etc. Is this an unnecessary risk to my family? I have no way to evaluate this as I have only ever dealt with the occasional coyote. Am I being paranoid?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 08:44 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Paranoid? Yes. I can only think of one human death caused by mountain lion in my entire life and it was on a dirt trail in orange county nowhere near homes. As for animals, don't leave them outside over night and you won't have any problems.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:00 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Proximity to nature comes at a cost. But the biggest risk is wildfires. Insurance companies often charge an elevated premium for coverage.

Oh, and don't forget the rattlesnakes.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:17 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,924 times
Yeah, fires, floods, and mudslides are something to seriously consider when living so close to the foothills.

I wouldn't worry much about bears and mountain lions, but more about coyotes attacking unsupervised small pets and children.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:08 AM

221 posts, read 347,669 times
I lived in the mountains for years with bears, mountain lions, and coyotes. I never heard of coyotes attacking children, even in the Sierra mountains where my father lived when I was a child. Coyotes will kill cats and small dogs, so keep them supervised or indoors.

Mountain lions -- in all my years of being in the mountains, I only ever SAW one. Very briefly on the road at about 5 am. They are elusive and rarely even show up.

Bears are largely afraid of both people and dogs. The braver ones that get used to people can be a nuisance but they are nothing to worry about. They will go away if you shout at them and bang on something like pots/pans. All you have to worry about are trash cans. You have to lock up your trash if bears roam the neighborhood. They will otherwise open your cans and throw trash everywhere. They will also come eat out of your garden if you grow veggies.

I'd worry more about wildfire and mudslides. Have a good evacuation plan including what you'd grab in one carload if you needed to. Mudslides -- be aware if you are adjacent to a wash that you could face flash flooding. I went through a couple floods in the mountains. The big ones took entire houses out that were adjacent to small streams.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post
I lived in the mountains for years with bears, mountain lions, and coyotes. I never heard of coyotes attacking children, even in the Sierra mountains where my father lived when I was a child. Coyotes will kill cats and small dogs, so keep them supervised or indoors.
Some coyotes in urban environments aren't afraid of humans. I've seen coyotes strolling down my neighborhood's residential streets and even staring at me in my own front yard in broad daylight. I wouldn't trust these "urbanized" coyotes to not attack little kids.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
We recently had a near-fatal mountain lion attack here in the Bay Area. It was during daylight in an area that gets swamped by runners and hikers. The victim was a tween kid (11 or 12 I think).

Garbage-addicted predators are unpredictable. I suspect that being garbage addicted is their equivalent of bath salts. After all, imagine what they end up inadvertently ingesting when they belly up to the easy opening "Waste Zero" curbside cans.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:29 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
I've seen a mountain lion running across a major street at 9pm here and some pretty bold coyotes right on the sidewalks, lots of skunks, which are now the #1 rabies carriers in CA, and a bunch of rattlesnakes, one right in my backyard. Wildlife is around, and with the drought, they come in closer.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:08 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
A family of bears visited a Monrovia neighborhood a couple of months ago.
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...277240641.html

A bear caught on film by a La Canada Flintridge resident (the bear ate the family's Halloween pumpkin): http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...280897892.html

A family of mountain lions caught on film in the Glendora Foothills in October: http://abc7.com/news/mountain-lion-f...ndora-/360537/

Last edited by CA4Now; 12-17-2014 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-17-2014, 08:19 PM

A bear attacked Santa in Glendora: Santa Is No Match For Wandering Bear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles