Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 06:09 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times

Advertisements

My Heart goes out to these people
Quote:
REDONDO BEACH, Calif. — When a driver plowed into a crowd after a school Christmas concert in Redondo Beach on Wednesday night, a boy was trapped under the tire of a car, and witnesses scrambled to free him.
"It was a little boy and the left front tire was on top of him," said witness Michael Tovar, 61, of Lomita.
"I thought it was a jacket lying on the ground."
Tovar, who had just watched his granddaughter sing in the Christmas concert at St. James Catholic Church, said a man started screaming, "We've got to move the car! We've got to move the car!"
Tovar said after he helped to free the boy, two men knelt next to the child and covered him. The Lomita man then looked around and saw people he had seen tossed into the air just moments before now receiving care.
Three women were killed and a child and adult critically injured when a car driven by 56-year-old Margo Bronstein ran into the crowd outside St. James.
Thirteen people, including Bronstein, were injured or killed in the crash. Five children, ages 5 to 14, were among those hurt. One was critically injured, as was an adult.
"Everyone was crossing from the event we were just at," said Tovar, who was stopped at a red light in his car next to the church, the third vehicle back. "All of a sudden, I just saw people flying in the air."
After striking the crowd, Bronstein's car then collided head on with another vehicle in the left turn lane next to him, he said.
"My wife started screaming bloody murder, and I jumped out of my car," Tovar said. "I came to the front of my car and saw people scattered everywhere, everywhere."
Three people among the crowd in the crosswalk died. They were identified as Torrance residents Martha Gaza, 36; Mary Anne Wilson, 81; and Saeko Matsumura, 87.
Bronstein, of Redondo Beach, suffered minor injuries and was arrested on suspicion of felony vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated. The driver of the second vehicle also suffered minor injuries, police say.
Lt. Joe Hoffman said Thursday that investigators believed Bronstein had prescription drugs in her system after evaluating her at the scene, although no medications were found in car. Police are waiting results from a toxicology report to make a final determination.
According to Department of Motor Vehicles records, Bronstein had a clean driving record. She had specific driving restrictions, including hand-controlled brakes and was required to drive a vehicle with an additional right-side mirror.
One of the five children hurt suffered critical injuries, including head trauma and a bruised lung. Another child, who police said was in stable condition, sustained a broken collarbone.
The other critically injured person was an adult who suffered head trauma and a broken leg. One other adult suffered a broken leg. Others had minor abrasions and complained of pain.
Bronstein is currently jailed on $300,000 bail and is expected to appear in court Friday.
Monica Valencia, director of media relations for the archdiocese of Los Angeles, said children, families and parishioners were receiving counseling at the church Thursday.
"It's difficult. Everyone is just trying to make sense of something so tragic and incomprehensible," she said.
3 killed, others critically injured after car hits crowd after Christmas concert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:14 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
She made a selfish decision. Lock her up and throw away the key!

Old 12-20-2014, 08:55 PM

362 posts, read 543,788 times
My 15 year-old son was christened at that church. What a tragedy.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:11 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Prayers, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles