Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,024 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to LA in the next few months. I am an educator and a musician. My plan for money is to work as a substitute teacher. I am wondering what is this like in LA and how is the market for it? I am quite familiar with a chunk of the city as I've visited a few times. I am wondering where is a good place to search for housing? Cars? Jobs? What are somethings I should possibly know before I go and any other advice tips would be greatly appreciated. If possible I would like to secure something before my arrival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 08:35 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Secure a job before you come. Once you know where you'll be working you can plan from there. You'll want to live as close to work as possible and know your income before making the decision where to live.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Get the right work visa first:

Canadians in U.S.A. - Working in the U.S.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:35 PM

164 posts, read 606,874 times
No work visa, no move.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:02 AM

I'm aware about visas. My main question is the accommodation, buying a vehicle, and what the job market is like for my field. If anyone has answers regarding those 3 questions I would appreciate it.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanisJane View Post
I am thinking of moving to LA in the next few months. I am an educator and a musician. My plan for money is to work as a substitute teacher. I am wondering what is this like in LA and how is the market for it? I am quite familiar with a chunk of the city as I've visited a few times. I am wondering where is a good place to search for housing? Cars? Jobs? What are somethings I should possibly know before I go and any other advice tips would be greatly appreciated. If possible I would like to secure something before my arrival.
None of us are going to be able to help you until you get the visa and the job. You have to have both before you can move to America. A subtitute teacher isn't going to qualify you for a work visa I don't think. You need to discuss your plan with the Embassy. You also can not come just to visit, secure work and then apply for the visa. I know you say you are familiar with the requirements, but I am not sure you realize you must have the job first. You say you want to move in the next few months. Even if your desire to be a substitute teacher would work, you are talking about a lot more than a few months to secure a position and make the move.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
None of us are going to be able to help you until you get the visa and the job. You have to have both before you can move to America. A subtitute teacher isn't going to qualify you for a work visa I don't think. You need to discuss your plan with the Embassy. You also can not come just to visit, secure work and then apply for the visa. I know you say you are familiar with the requirements, but I am not sure you realize you must have the job first. You say you want to move in the next few months. Even if your desire to be a substitute teacher would work, you are talking about a lot more than a few months to secure a position and make the move.
I am only just trying to get an idea about those 3 things. There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing so and multiple people usually ask such questions before opting to move.

So far every response has been about the visa yet not one person says anything about the job market for the field I asked about. Unless I have a better idea of that I am not going to bother applying for anything. I said I am thinking about it. I am in no rush to pick up and leave right now. If you or anyone can help answer those questions great if not that's ok too I'll ask around elsewhere. Thanks for your time.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:56 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
"Educator" is pretty vague.

Are you a Certificated schoolteacher? Elementary or Secondary? What subjects? Any specialized credentials? Do you have experience? What kind? How many years? Do you have a Masters degree?

Old 12-20-2014, 11:10 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Well in order to teach in CA you have to take and pass an exam called the CBEST(California Basic Educational Skills Test). It is only given a few times a year.

But you can't sub in LA County without it.

Now perhaps if you're a fully credentialed teacher in Canada, you may not have to do this, but you're vague as to what you're actually certified in.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanisJane View Post
I am only just trying to get an idea about those 3 things. There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing so and multiple people usually ask such questions before opting to move.

So far every response has been about the visa yet not one person says anything about the job market for the field I asked about. Unless I have a better idea of that I am not going to bother applying for anything. I said I am thinking about it. I am in no rush to pick up and leave right now. If you or anyone can help answer those questions great if not that's ok too I'll ask around elsewhere. Thanks for your time.
i did, I said as clearly as I could: you can not come to this country expecting to be a substitute teacher. You would have to have a school district recruit you and they do not recruit sumbstitute teachers as a rule. What more would you like someone to tell you? You also asked about searching for cars and a place to live; you have to have the job and the visa before you can even consider any of this. You also said, "in a few months" my comment was, you can't even think about doing anything like this in a few months. Not a one of us can give you any answers. You need to talk to autorities. If you were moving from one state to another that would be different, but one country to another isn't the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles