Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:43 AM

387 posts, read 356,131 times

Advertisements

No I don't think they're racist...However they have a Male dominated culture and that sometimes clashes with African Americans (who also have that type of culture)...

The Cultures with alot in common often fight the most...Puerto Ricans on the East Coast also clash with African Americans alot since they also have that type of Macho culture.

I think generally speaking Mexicans in California and Puerto Ricans in NYC don't let anyone push them around and Blacks don't like that...I've seen Asians and Arabs get bullied by Blacks (in NYC), but rarely if ever do Ricans get bullied....Same with Mexicans in California they don't get pushed around by anyone....

Armenians are another group that doesn't let Blacks push them around....

Old 11-09-2015, 12:46 AM

205 posts, read 409,447 times
This whole thread is BS.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:54 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,606,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
does this only apply to African-Americans? If so, which type of African Americans?

For instance, let's say you have a dark-skinned Spanish-speaking Dominican Catholic who decides to move into East LA to be around fellow Hispanics but he or she is black. Will this person still face racism from the Mexican/Chicano community?

The reason I ask this is because I have a friend here in Connecticut who's from the Dominican Republic and she looks like a blackened Mexican...seriously. She used to be an ESL student and had tons of Mexican friends in her classes who treated her like she literally was a black Mexican girl and one of them.

Anyways, like a lot of people here in the East Coast, she thinks California is the "place to be" and dreams of landing a job and moving there once she finishes higher education here in CT.

I warned her before that it isn't that easy to land a job in California and that the Mexicans in the West Coast aren't as open-minded as the ones over here.

She's obviously thinks the Mexicans there will accept her as a fellow Hispanic but I strongly doubt her blackness can be overlooked. What do you think?
Many Mexicans in the Southwest US don't even know there is such a thing as a black Hispanic.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:56 AM

387 posts, read 356,131 times
Also Los Angeles is one of the safest cities in the country (along with NYC) so I don't think you really need to be super uptight about being a victim of crime...It's a safe city for the most part....

Go to Baltimore or New Orleans if you want to worry about crime....

Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,641 times
Why was this thread bumped?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:28 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,008,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Why was this thread bumped?
Orange County people.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:53 PM

29,511 posts, read 22,636,772 times
I wonder if there are still racial tensions in parts of Southern California brought on by gang beefs.

There had been almost two decades of racist hostility between Hispanic and Black gangs, and Hispanic and Asian gangs. Some of the worst hate crimes in the past two decades in America were the result of these bitter wars, where gang members stopped differentiating between civilians and gang members.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not the one planning to move to California. I'm black and non-Hispanic but I mentioned that my black Dominican friend who's a female is considering making a move there, not me.

To be fair, I think she'll get over the "Cali phase" as many East Coasters do after a while but, for the time being, she's very serious about moving to LA after she finishes her college education.

If she tries to make friends with Mexicans(not the cholos obviously), we'll she generally face racism or not? I heard many Mexicans even outside of gangs hated blacks but I'm not from California so I can't speak about what I haven't experienced.

First off have you ever even been to CA?

Cali is a city in Columbia.

Second, I bolded the only part you got right.

Worry about CT, you have Newtown, CT. Some odd stuff went on there, and it's not what were told.

Unless your friend has a job lined up and 6 months savings in reserve, worrying about how friendly the "Mexicans"( I guess you don't realize all Latinos in LA are not necessarily Mexicans....sigh), will be the least of her problems.

If your friend is so interested in moving here, let her post and say what her job background is, how much she has saved, etc.....not this nonsense.

Sounds like you watch too much TV and movies on gangs in LA.

You haven't a clue as to what you're talking about.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:16 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Okay...For those who are still confused, I'm NOT talking about gang tensions. This is a person who's majoring in Biology and on the Dean's list so it's not like she's going out of her way to associate with gang members.

I'm just saying that, from what I heard, Mexicans in SoCal usually only get along with Whites or other Mexicans and sometimes Filipinos. I heard Mexicans(the normal ones) don't like blacks(typically) but the ones in Norcal were more open-minded.

From what I've gathered so far, the tension is mostly just gang-related but I've heard otherwise so can someone shed some insight to support your view?
I'm an African American and I never had any problems with Mexicans in Los Angeles. I do speak Spanish but that's not why I had no problem.

Unless you're dealing with turf battles in the worst neighborhoods I don't see how or why your friend would be dealing with racism from Mexicans. Just not happening.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
No I don't think they're racist...However they have a Male dominated culture and that sometimes clashes with African Americans (who also have that type of culture)...

The Cultures with alot in common often fight the most...Puerto Ricans on the East Coast also clash with African Americans alot since they also have that type of Macho culture.

I think generally speaking Mexicans in California and Puerto Ricans in NYC don't let anyone push them around and Blacks don't like that...I've seen Asians and Arabs get bullied by Blacks (in NYC), but rarely if ever do Ricans get bullied....Same with Mexicans in California they don't get pushed around by anyone....

Armenians are another group that doesn't let Blacks push them around....
You've made ridiculous assertions that you simply cannot back up.

And by the way Blacks can be bullied and beaten to, by each other or buy people of other groups. It's not like being Black makes you invincible.

Proof that Puerto Ricans and Blacks in NYC fight a lot? I'm not aware of any special problems between the two.

If it's one person leaving a Chinese business is a black ghetto, that person is outnumbered. Of course there are predominately Asian neighborhoods like Flushing and Elmhurst (both in Queens), Bensonhurst (was Italian American but now increasingly Chinese). Would a Black thug try something in those neighborhoods? Of course not, he's outnumbered and they would KILL him. Your stereotype of Blacks as thugs and Asians and Arabs as pansies is offensive AND inaccurate. No group has a monopoly on violence and yes there are gangster Asians (East Asians, Pakistanis and Indians, and Arabs) in Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles