Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 06:58 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But not Hawaii?

I'm reminded of the South of France, Rio, Mexico City, and a South Asian city like Bangkok or Manilla.
Rio is too green and tropical to look like LA--I'd say Rio probably resembles Hawaii more than it resembles SoCal. The same goes for Manila and Bangkok--both of which are actually Southeast Asian. South Asian refers to India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, etc.

The only similarity CA has to HI is having the ocean and mountains right there with palm trees. I guess some areas of Hawaii are dry and might look more like CA. But in reality, Hawaii has a warmer and wetter climate with better beaches (warmer and clearer ocean). Because of this, Hawaii is more green and lush and can grow more kinds of palm trees and exotic plants and fruit than California can. Hawaii is also far, FAR less polluted than Los Angeles.

LA reminds me more of somewhere in the Mediterranean. The scenery and climate is pretty much identical to somewhere in Spain, Greece, Italy, or southern France.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 07:04 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
If u're talking about architecture, then the beach towns are similar. Hawaii's landscape is more lush and exotic, their hills/mountains much greener. California has patches of white sand beaches but nothing compared to Hawaii or Florida, for that matter. The water is clearer in Hawaii. With that said, driving along the coast of California in its totality is much more impressive than Hawaii. California, as a state, is more beautiful due to its diverse landscape. However, nothing is the most beautiful. Well, maybe Yosemite... Hawaii is more or less one dimensional, as is Florida. These are my 2 pennies.
Really? Hawaii has 13 out of the 15 climates in the world, and has varying landscapes. From calm, flat beaches with clear water to really rugged and rocky coastline with huge waves and darker water. CA's beaches and coastline are pretty, but they all look pretty much the same. Pink, gold, white, black, red, and even green sand beaches. CA's sand on the beach is all the same golden color. Hawaii has arid region that look like CA, as well as rainforest, snow-capped mountains, volcanoes, swamps, and coral reefs. CA is varied as well, with desert, the greener North (though it's getting drier) salt marshes along parts of the coast, and the Mediterranean-type scenery in places like Orange County or Santa Barbara, and kelp forest. But, it's less varied overall. The weather in CA isn't as varied as in Hawaii either. Both are beautiful states, but to say that Hawaii is as one-dimensional as Florida (and Florida is also more diverse than one would think) is foolish and homerism at its best!

Old 01-06-2015, 09:28 PM

412 posts, read 545,547 times
I don't think so. I guess superficially all places with mountains, beaches, and palms look similar. If you look closer, however, there are differences. Hawaii, as others have mentioned, has greener mountains, and has beaches with bluer water. Also, the palms are different (tropical vs desert). Some parts of Hawaii are kind of barren though. I agree that I think CA is more like spots in the Mediterranean.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:25 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Rio is too green and tropical to look like LA--I'd say Rio probably resembles Hawaii more than it resembles SoCal. The same goes for Manila and Bangkok--both of which are actually Southeast Asian. South Asian refers to India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, etc.

LA reminds me more of somewhere in the Mediterranean. The scenery and climate is pretty much identical to somewhere in Spain, Greece, Italy, or southern France.
Well, I am guessing you've never been to Rio. Of course, Rio is much greener/lusher than LA. But there are parts of Rio that remind me a bit of Topanga Canyon or even the more lush parts of the Hollywood Hills along Mulholland. For example, the Santa Teresa neighborhood in Rio. Aside from geography, both cities have a similar metro population size, they are both the 2nd largest cities in their respective country, both have a dispersed settlement pattern (though LA's sprawls more and over greater distances) and they both have a once neglected city center which is not located on the city's famed/prime beaches.

But as much as l love the view on a clear day from the Griffith Observatory, there is nothing in the world that tops this:

Last edited by StreetLegal; 01-08-2015 at 02:34 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,689 times
I've lived in LA all my life, born and raised in Pasadena, now live in Fullerton, frequent visitor to Downtown LA, and familiar with many other parts, the only part that resembles Hawaii, but absolutely does, is Malibu. I've been to Maui and Oahu, and everytime I go to Malibu I'm struck by how Hawaii-like it is, fiery sunsets over the Pacific ocean with dolphins jumping near the shore, mist shrouding the lush green mountains. (Some hill parts are drier but this is like parts of Maui, too.) Lots of tropical foliage and a heavy laid back surf culture. I could go on. One of my favorite places on earth.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:02 AM

513 posts, read 913,567 times
The Palos Verdes peninsula is the place that most resembles Hawaii in Southern California. Not as green or warm, obviously, but the cliffs, the palms and the ocean with Catalina in the distance does resemble the view from Maui looking towards Moloka'i or Lana'i.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:39 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Nearly everyone that has come to visit me has said that LA, especially the beach towns like SM and Malibu remind them of Hawaii. I did an event at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena and my boss said it reminded him of Hawaii there. Pasadena, I thought? I never would've thought LA looked like Hawaii at all.

Granted they said reminded and not exactly but the drive down the PCH conjured images of the islands to my mom.

I've never been to Hawaii so that's why I'm asking.
The beach towns I don't get. On the other hand near Pasadena you start getting into large Asian populations

Old 06-02-2015, 08:12 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Really? Hawaii has 13 out of the 15 climates in the world, and has varying landscapes. From calm, flat beaches with clear water to really rugged and rocky coastline with huge waves and darker water. CA's beaches and coastline are pretty, but they all look pretty much the same. Pink, gold, white, black, red, and even green sand beaches. CA's sand on the beach is all the same golden color. Hawaii has arid region that look like CA, as well as rainforest, snow-capped mountains, volcanoes, swamps, and coral reefs. CA is varied as well, with desert, the greener North (though it's getting drier) salt marshes along parts of the coast, and the Mediterranean-type scenery in places like Orange County or Santa Barbara, and kelp forest. But, it's less varied overall. The weather in CA isn't as varied as in Hawaii either. Both are beautiful states, but to say that Hawaii is as one-dimensional as Florida (and Florida is also more diverse than one would think) is foolish and homerism at its best!
If you read my post, I gave Hawaii its due props. I love it there. It's my favorite beach vacation spot in the US. I stated that nothing in California is the most beautiful. But the totality of everything makes it the most beautiful in my opinion. You took "more or less one dimensional" as an insult and made accusations of foolishness and homerism at its best. LOL. Maybe you don't understand what "more or less" means. Maybe you take things too literal. Or maybe you have a case of haterade for California. Whatever the case, with a username, Hawaii4ever, I shouldn't be surprised at who has a case of homerism. FYI, I don't even live in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles