Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 PM

17 posts, read 51,165 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me the 101 on the LA subway system during rush hour? Is it overcrowded? I know it doesn't go everywhere and is slower compared to say NY (that is where I live now & relocating) but how long would you be waiting for a train in general?

thanks very much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
Very little of the LA metro system is actual subway. Most of it is above ground rail. As far as crowding, the Blue Line is very crowded, but not sure about others(I believe the Blue Line has the highest daily ridership). Check LA Metro Home for rail schedules

Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 PM

17 posts, read 51,165 times
Oh, I thought the metrolink was the train that was above ground? I was already on their site and I was totally confused about the whole system... Ugh....

Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC11105 View Post
Oh, I thought the metrolink was the train that was above ground? I was already on their site and I was totally confused about the whole system... Ugh....
Metrolink is a heavy rail line while the Metro [insert color here] Lines are light rail. The majority of the Metro 'color' Lines are above or at-grade; I think only the Metro Red Line is entirely underground.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,142 times
Well, I've actually ridden the Metro (Red, Orange, and Blue) lines during rush hour. It's usually very full, and if you aren't getting on at any of the end stops, good luck finding a seat.

However, the good thing is that trains/liners (for Orange Line) come every 5-10 minutes during rush hour. This means in case you miss one train/liner, another one will be coming shortly.

Here's a map of the current LA metro system

*Purple and Red lines are the only subway lines
*Gold, Green, and Blue lines are light rail
*Orange and Silver lines are BRT (Bus Rapid Transit), with the Orange line acting like a poor man's light rail

For commuter trains (Metrolink, comparable to the LIRR or Metro North), here's where it goes

I haven't ridden it before (haven't had the need to), but it isn't that bad from what I've heard.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 PM

80 posts, read 296,020 times
I take the Red/Purple line to and from Union Station every day during rush hour (after taking the Gold Line from Pasadena) for a few stops to the Bunker Hill area. It's crowded, but I've never felt like it's shoulder to shoulder people like other large metros. They run into Union Station every 5 minutes for a few hours in the evening and out of Union Station every 6-7 minutes in the morning rush. Can't recall a time personally when that line was significantly late (more than 3-5 minutes) or just didn't run.

I also took Metrolink for quite a while along the SB line into LA and that was another story altogether. Guaranteed delays at least once a week it seemed. Overall they do pretty well though for connecting areas as far as 65-70 miles outside of downtown LA.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:19 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,151 times
Lifeshadower, the map actually looks like this, thanks to the November 2009 opening of the Eastside Gold Line extension. And it should change again next year, with the opening of the Expo light rail, of which will link Downtown and Culver City (in its first phase, that is).

Trains here are not especially crowded at any time of the day, at least not compared to the NYC's and Tokyo's of the world. Do expect crowds during rush hour, and weekend evenings, though. BTW, LA's Metro, while not nearly as expansive in coverage, is faster than NYC's Metro, due to less dense stop spacing, something of which makes the Red/Purple lines more comparable to NYC's express trains.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:33 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,756,714 times
The red line is the only underground subway. It goes from North Hollywood (Hollywood Area) to Downtown LA. There are planning to expand the Subway to Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. Basically, the high density urban areas use the subway and the suburban parts use Metro Link or above ground light Metro. The Blue Line into Long Beach and Gold Line into Pomona and Pasadena are above rail.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:01 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,974,451 times
Quote:
Can anyone give me the 101 on the LA subway system during rush hour? Is it overcrowded? I know it doesn't go everywhere and is slower compared to say NY (that is where I live now & relocating) but how long would you be waiting for a train in general?

thanks very much...
We don't really have a "subway system". We have the red line and a short purple line spur. The rest of the lines are light rail. But the green line is more subway as it is completely grade separated, but it does use light rail vehicles.

But as for the subway (red and purple) it's not as crowded as NYC, but it's more crowded than people think. All of the seats will be taken and there will be maybe 10-40 people standing per car on 4-6 car trains. Trains come every 10 minutes (effectively 5 minutes where red and purple lines are combined).

This is what the red line looks like at rush hour or during busy times on the weekend.

On the blue line all of the seats are taken with 10-50 standees per car on 3-car trains. Trains come every 5.5 minutes. The blue line is more crowded on Saturdays than during rush hour since trains only run every 12 minutes. This is what the first car can look like. The last car might even have empty seats as everyone crowds the first car due to poor station design.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,799 times
Well, it takes about 10 minutes to get from downtown to Hollywood. Is that slow?

7th/Metro is packed during rush hour, as is Union Station. MTA often runs multiple trains during rh, as does the Blue Line light rail. I've never waited longer than 10 minutes for a rh train, usually less than that.

Quote:

thanks very much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles