Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 06:56 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times

Advertisements

Going to be in Los Angeles for 3 days, 2 nights.
Staying down in San Pedro.

Please help me figure out this plan:

There are only 3 things I want to get done, but I don't want to be running around in traffic.

1. BEACH. I plan to visit either Newport Beach in OC, or Dockweiler in LA. I plan to spend most of my day vegging out on the beach. Leaning towards Newport cause I think there's plenty of places to eat, so I wouldn't really have to leave the beach too much.

2. Walk the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica one evening.

3. Visit the Griffith Observatory.

so, my question is: I know the Observatory closes at 10, so I'd at least like to be there by 9pm to be able to get in a full hour or exploring it. Can I walk the 3rd Street Promenade at night and watch performers and all and still make it to the Observatory by 9 the same night? If so, what times would you suggest me arriving at the 3rd Street Promenade & what time leaving to make it to the Observatory by 9?

I want to tackle both in same night.

Also, after leaving the Observatory at 10, what is something nice to do?

1 last thing. I said I'm leaning towards Newport Beach, but I do have 2 full days I'd like to veg on a beach. Which 2 So Cal beaches would you advise, knowing I'm staying in San Pedro?

1. Newport Beach, OC
2. Huntington Beach, OC
3. Long Beach (is it dirty or nice?)
4. Cabrillo Beach (too small?)
5. Sunset Beach
6. Seal Beach
7. Redondo Beach
8. Hermosa Beach
9. Manhattan Beach
10. Dockweiler Beach
11. Venice Beach
12. Santa Monica Beach
13. Will Rogers Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 09:00 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
The 3rd street Promenade only takes about an hour to walk, depending on how much you want to shop. It's just a few blocks long. If it's a Saturday or Sunday, go to the Venice Beach boardwalk first, then to the Promenade. You should be done by mid-afternoon. Plenty of time for dinner and the Observatory. Note: all the Venice Beach action is on the weekends. Also, there aren't always performers on 3rd St., it's random. Not much different at night there than in the daytime to me. Have you heard different? So it may be just stores, and many are chain stores. After the Observatory, you could bar hop in West Hollywood maybe.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:11 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,493 times
When is your trip? SoCalif. is not Hawaii or Miami, winter is not the best beach weather here. Sure, you might get lucky but don't count on it.

I personally prefer Hermosa/Redondo/Manhattan over Newport Beach for relaxing at the beach. Even more so since you are staying near San Pedro. Long Beach is not a great beach town, don't bother.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:22 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Going to be in Los Angeles for 3 days, 2 nights.
Staying down in San Pedro.

Please help me figure out this plan:

There are only 3 things I want to get done, but I don't want to be running around in traffic.

1. BEACH. I plan to visit either Newport Beach in OC, or Dockweiler in LA. I plan to spend most of my day vegging out on the beach. Leaning towards Newport cause I think there's plenty of places to eat, so I wouldn't really have to leave the beach too much.
Again, I personally prefer the South Bay beaches (Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan) for relaxing at the beach. They all have easy, walkable access to restaurants/bars, etc. So that is not an issue.

Also, Santa Monica is not a bad place to chill on the beach (weather permitting) and it has the advantage of being just blocks from the Promenade which you also want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post

2. Walk the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica one evening.

3. Visit the Griffith Observatory.

so, my question is: I know the Observatory closes at 10, so I'd at least like to be there by 9pm to be able to get in a full hour or exploring it. Can I walk the 3rd Street Promenade at night and watch performers and all and still make it to the Observatory by 9 the same night? If so, what times would you suggest me arriving at the 3rd Street Promenade & what time leaving to make it to the Observatory by 9?

I want to tackle both in same night.
The promenade is usually dead by 9pm or 10pm. It is really more of a weekend daytime affair going into the early evening. But you could do the Promenade in 30 minutes easy, it is only a few blocks. Though an hour is more ideal. Also, the view from Palisades Park (just two blocks west of the promenade) is really nice in the daytime or at Sunset. Great views of the Pacific and the SM mountains stretching out past Malibu.

If you are going on a weeknight from Santa Monica to The Observatory: I am guessing traffic will run you about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes to be safe. No traffic then only about 40 minutes.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:18 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
FYI Dockweiler has nothing nearby. It's a great beach if you don't plan on leaving at all, but otherwise there are much better beaches in the area. Also Dockweiler is pretty expensive for parking (at least in the summer), you could find a metered spot in Manhattan/Redondo/Hermosa and pay a lot less for a more social beach.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:45 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
the only people I see on the beach in the winter time are european tourists in their speedos

Old 01-12-2015, 11:46 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
the only people I see on the beach in the winter time are european tourists in their speedos
If you can pull off a speedo, why not?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:09 PM

To begin, I want to say I'm VERY pleased to see responses from you guys. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help. I'll try to address all your questions.

So here's a little about my background so you understand my questions a little more:

1. I'm coming to LA in late April.
2. Going to be coming to LA from Arizona. Going to AZ from Georgia, then later to LA.
3. I've actually lived in LA before for a short time as a child and lived in San Diego for several years as an adult. I'm familiar with LA, but NOT so familiar that I don't need help and no need to ask questions. I can get around no problem. But there are a few things I don't remember. Last time I've been to LA was in 2012 for a week. But before that, last time was 2002. So you see, having not been there for more than a week in the past 12 years has put me in a place that I need advice...
4. Even during my days of living in Cali, I've never been to any Orange County beach, and never been to Long Beach's BEACH. Actually, never been to any of the beaches south of LA. I HAVE been to Santa Monica/Venice/Dockweiler & Manhattan beaches. That's all (in LA). I've been to plenty other Cali beaches, but in other places like San Diego & Santa Barbara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The 3rd street Promenade only takes about an hour to walk, depending on how much you want to shop... ...Not much different at night there than in the daytime to me. Have you heard different?
You know, I guess I remember it different. Last time I've been to the Promenade, it was 2002 or 2001 & it was dark (at night). Never made the walk during daytime. Didn't remember it being that short. I just remember stopping & watching the street performers & feeling like it made for a good part of a date (walking the promenade). Maybe I've romanticized the memory into more than it is... You think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
So it may be just stores, and many are chain stores. After the Observatory, you could bar hop in West Hollywood maybe.
I've never been to the Observatory, but have ALWAYS wanted to go. Also wanted to walk to the Hollywood sign, but I hear I'm too late, that those days are over & it's fenced off now.

Would you suggest any bars in particular? A good place for a romantic couple...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
When is your trip? SoCalif. is not Hawaii or Miami, winter is not the best beach weather here. Sure, you might get lucky but don't count on it.

I personally prefer Hermosa/Redondo/Manhattan over Newport Beach for relaxing at the beach. Even more so since you are staying near San Pedro. Long Beach is not a great beach town, don't bother.
My trip to LA is in late April. Familiar enough with Cali that I know not to walk out to the beach in the winter. LOL. I remember that cold air coming in off the ocean too! I'm asking way in advance because that's just how I am. I like to have some good info well in advance to be able to make good plans.

My uncle worked on a barge/boat in Long Beach harbor (going to those little islands) and I rode with him as a child. THAT is the closest I've ever been to Long Beach's beach. Seeing it from way out in the water. Lol. Never knew personally if it was dirty or not, but being that it's so close to downtown Long Beach, I just assumed the worst.

Never been to Hermosa or Redondo. They have restaurants in walking distance from the beach?
The one time as a child I went to Manhattan, I didn't remember seeing stuff around besides homes/condos near the beach. So, same question there.

And what about parking? Do ANY of the beaches on the list offer free parking, or will they all have pay/meter parking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
FYI Dockweiler has nothing nearby. It's a great beach if you don't plan on leaving at all, but otherwise there are much better beaches in the area. Also Dockweiler is pretty expensive for parking (at least in the summer), you could find a metered spot in Manhattan/Redondo/Hermosa and pay a lot less for a more social beach.
I DO remember Dockweiler. When I visited LA in 2012, that is the one beach I made it to and personally, I love it. I'm not sure how popular it is, but the day I went, it felt secluded. no homes overlooking the beach, not a lot of people around, etc... And I saw a lot of fire-pits which I thought was cool. I would like to go back, but being that I want to spend the day out on the beach, I'm not sure if that would be the spot to choose being that there isn't anything around to eat.

OH, and you just answered my above question I guess. Please confirm. I DO remember paying for Dockweiler, but didn't remember how much. Are there ANY free parking beaches? Or which is cheapest in late April?

Quote:
LOL. Not that guy... Not quite. Won't be wearing a speedo. In fact, I'd probably have a coat on, but I'm not looking to be out at the beach bathing in the sun like it's super hot. Trust me, it's going to be much hotter where I'm going to be coming from. I just want to be near the water which we miss SOOOO much.

Again, thanks for your help. I hope this info helps...

Is there anything else that you'd suggest for a romantic couple to try to do during a short weekend in LA? (Keeping in mind we want to at least spend the majority of our day hours vegging at the beach)

ONE LAST THING. I've heard stories about this place called Orichon Ramen (sp?). I'm a huge ramen fan. Is it really as good as people say, and where/how far is it from where I will be? Will it be worth a visit? Can I visit it and avoid being in traffic?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:12 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
Is this the ramen place in Little Tokyo where they put your picture on the wall if youre able to finish their hottest, spiciest ramen?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Is this the ramen place in Little Tokyo where they put your picture on the wall if youre able to finish their hottest, spiciest ramen?
I don't know. Hadn't heard that part if that's part of it.
I heard the place I'm talking about is supposed to be famous for spicy ramen. And I LOVE spicy ramen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles