Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 10:40 PM

5 posts, read 8,181 times

Advertisements

Hey folks. I just recently relocated to Southern California from Boston, and was hoping to get some thoughts on where to settle.

My office is located in Newport Beach, and my firm has provided temporary housing in Irvine until the first week of February. Though I've only been in Irvine a short time, I don't think it is the right place for me.

So, a little about me. I'm a single guy, late 20s. I'm looking for an area with a bit more of a neighborhood vibe. Coming from Boston, it'd be nice to live somewhere that has restaurants, bars, etc. within walking distance. I'm into music and arts, so a place with some kind of arts or culture is definitely essential. Obviously I want to live someplace safe, but obviously I'm not as squeamish or concerned as someone who would be settling with a family. Not sure how realistic this is, but I'd like to hopefully find a place somewhere around $1,000/month.

Most of my friends live in LA, so being closer to LA (compared to Orange County) is also something I'm looking for, but obviously I don't want to be dealing with a horrendous daily commute to Newport Beach. Worth mentioning is that I do own a motorcycle which will be making its way out here eventually, so I may consider commuting to work on the bike.

Right now I'm considering Long Beach, specifically Belmont Shore and Old Town Seal Beach, but any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:05 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJ1984 View Post

Right now I'm considering Long Beach, specifically Belmont Shore and Old Town Seal Beach, but any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Those are both very good options for you. Not sure about your $1,000 budget (if I read that correctly). That could be tough unless you are looking to share with a roommate. I'll let the LB and SB experts chime in.

Other part of Long Beach near downtown might work for you. Otherwise Hermosa or Redondo Beach (but those are farther from work). But again rents are high there.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:42 PM

5 posts, read 8,181 times
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I looked into rents a bit more after my post and the 1,000 probably is a bit unrealistic unless I had a roommate situation. That was probably wishful thinking on my end, though I probably wouldn't want to pay much more than $1,300/month.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:34 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,690 times
Downtown fullerton has the college/early 20s partying people. You can try to check out that scene and move either near or within miles. There seems to be plenty of free parking in the partying area too

Old 01-14-2015, 02:40 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
even at 1300, you'll probably need to consider studio apartments if you want to be close to the beach.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:20 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJ1984 View Post
As soon as I read the previous paragraphs, I said "Long Beach or Huntington Beach" would be my suggestion!

I have been living in Long Beach for 5+ years for the very same reasons. I also own motorcycles and whether commuting or taking a joy ride on your day off on PCH going up or down will be fun!

Commuting to NB, even with a car should not be too bad from Long Beach. HB would be a little less but then you will have a longer drive/ride to LA.
Huntington is nice too but pricier, also has a much bigger suburban vibe to it which I don't really care for.

Both cities have a Starbucks location where riders like to hang out as well;
Huntington Beach: Olive and Main
Long Beach: Covina and 2nd

Old 01-14-2015, 07:32 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
If your budget is $1300/month and want to live in a half decent area, you can possibly find a studio. Otherwise, you'll likely need a roommate.

The Newport peninsula has bars and restaurants all within walking distance, so there's some potential there. But not necessarily a ton of culture if you want an arts and music scene.

Long Beach is a good mid-way point between Newport and LA, so if you can find a place in Belmont Shore or somewhere near there, that would be a good bet. Bunch of good bars, restaurants and shops around there.

Once you go north of Long Beach, you're looking at a commute of least 1 hour each way assuming rush hour traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles