Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 08:59 AM

19 posts, read 17,530 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone... I'll move in Los angeles for work in April .... and I was looking for House to rent .
I saw many rent on Long beach but ...how is ? is a danger zone ? area in LA (not too expensive) that are safe ? or is better looking in Orange County ?
Thanks so much
Dany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
It is.....um big.

Depending on the area it could be a total dump or really nice.

Need a more specific location in LB.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:13 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,587 times
I am looking for the same thing you are. I know it is huge like mr geek said but the nice area are supposed to be fine. Look up crime in long beach and there is a very good couple of sites that will highlight neighborhoods. they will be color coded to how much crime they have. I am looking to buy a little home and am totally clueless as to where to go. :?

Old 02-15-2015, 12:39 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Long Beach is a large city with a population near 500K and a TON of industry and commercial locations.

Generally, anything to the south and east of Lakewood Bl is fine. Theres other pockets too.

I'm dumbfounded as to how someone from Colton can't simply drive there, look around, visit the police stations in the area.

If you are looking at Wrigley(the area north of PCH to the east of the 710 and to the west of LBB) or the area north of Bixby Knolls, which I suspect you are as there are many recent home sales in the $350-400K range....well thats something you will have to determine for yourself. There historically has been elevated property crimes in Wrigley due to its location near PCH. While things have cleaned up amazingly over the past 15 years or so, theres still elevated crime there and the closer to PCH you are, the more likely you'll find condoms on your sidewalk in the mornings from the few remaining crack ho's in the area. As to the area north of Bixby, you'll be on the border of North Long Beach and Paramount, and not far from Compton. So yes there is spillover crime in that area.

OTOH, the areas south and east of Lakewood Bl in Long Beach are quite nice and have little crime. This also goes for most of Lakewood, and parts of Bellflower as well.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:47 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,587 times
well thank you for the info. Lol I actually am going to drive there in a couple weeks. I was hoping for a some info to direct me to area that would be more in my price range and suit my needs. And you are very correct. Those areas seem to be in my price range. I will take your info and head to LB and thank you for your patience and help.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:07 PM

733 posts, read 940,028 times
I think it's a cool city, from what I've seen it's Downtown is pretty lame though, shame, it's a pretty big city. The de facto downtown of Huntington Park is better than Long Beach's in my opinion.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Long Beach has a lot going for it. That being said there are parts that are pretty bad, pretty ghetto. I think if you stay south and more toward the eastern parts is where it's nicer.

North Long Beach a long time a ago used to be pretty nice. Way back in the day when Dooley hardware store was..... LOL.... that's dating me a bit, anyone who is familiar with that part of town. Used to be a bowling alley across from the 3 large buildings that made up Dooley's.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 8,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Long Beach has a lot going for it.
Yeah I would certainly agree with that. And like some of the other posters have said, it is quite large. I would also just add if you have the opportunity for a "scouting-it-out" trip before you move; to maybe go walk around the university area and certainly check out the Aquarium. Somewhat "touristy" stuff to do if you're looking to make a long-term move there but still, shows you some of the overall "feel" of what you get down there.

I think it's got lot's of good qualities personally. But OC is nice too. Good luck in your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles