Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,164 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband is thinking about accepting a job offer in the Los Angeles California area and we are in great need of help to decide. We are not familiar at all with the location.
The office will be located at the Rancho Dominguez/ Compton area. We do not want a long, stressful commute, but we need a family friendly neighborhood with really good schools. We have 3 kids: 11, 9 & 1 year old.
His salary will be around the $250,000 -300,00.
We currently live in a Atlanta suburb, so we are ok with not being in the city. We are used tough to a lot of space, which we would not mind to lose a bit as long we are in a nice, safe area.

Please advise. And also, would you recommend to rent or buy?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 02:10 PM

13,825 posts, read 29,834,328 times
Look south and west of work only.

I'm seeing what I can get on the Palos Verdes Peninsula if I'm you guys.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:31 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,268,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alepierre View Post
The office will be located at the Rancho Dominguez/ Compton area. We do not want a long, stressful commute, but we need a family friendly neighborhood with really good schools. We have 3 kids: 11, 9 & 1 year old.
My first two picks for really good schools and a reasonable commute are Cypress and Los Alamitos.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:22 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,372,698 times
Less than 10 miles west are great middle-upper class areas. Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance and the Palos Verdes area are nice cities that are safe with great school districts. I guess there are several sites to see how they rate or rank schools if you google school ratings los angeles county. You might want to rent first to see if the area suits you. Housing prices are very expensive in the areas mentioned.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:30 PM

490 posts, read 657,087 times
Manhattan Beach would be the nicest area/schools but the lots are pretty small and the large ones are very expensive.
Palos Verdes has large lots and great schools but even though close it can take a little while to get up the hill.
South Redondo is somewhat of a compromise between those two, RBUSD isnt as great as MBUSD or PVPUSD but it is still a great district. I'd recommend South Redondo or Palos Verdes.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:11 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,134,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
I'd recommend South Redondo or Palos Verdes.
This plus west torrance

Old 01-18-2015, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,164 times
Thank you all for the great tips!! I started looking in those areas and you are right, it is expensive...We are still trying to assimilate the fact that no matter where we look prices will be much, much higher than in GA.
Thanks again!!

Old 01-18-2015, 12:09 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,754,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alepierre View Post
Hello,
My husband is thinking about accepting a job offer in the Los Angeles California area and we are in great need of help to decide. We are not familiar at all with the location.
His salary will be around the $250,000 -300,00.
We currently live in a Atlanta suburb, so we are ok with not being in the city. We are used tough to a lot of space, which we would not mind to lose a bit as long we are in a nice, safe area.

Please advise. And also, would you recommend to rent or buy?

Thank you in advance!
I think the important thing for you will be the schools and crime. I'd look in the West Torrance area. Torrance and Palos Verdes/Rolling Hills have the lowest crime rates in LA county. The schools are some of the best in the country. West/Central Torrance will have the most affordable RE prices with 4 bedroom homes starting in the $6-800k range. PV starts in the 1-2M range for something decent, so even a 300k income might be a tad stretched for a larger home.

There are some very nice areas of Long Beach, but it's quite dense. You could go a little further east to west OC and find some really good areas with decent schools as well.

Dominguez Hills is right in the middle of the South Bay area, so anything in all directions will be fairly close in, and less than a 20-30 minute commute.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:17 AM

822 posts, read 1,279,635 times
I would move to PV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles