Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:05 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,350 times

Advertisements

I think there is a Ralphs there which is gated. That is the only gated supermarket I've ever seen. I'm guessing it is to prevent crime and also keep the dealers, hookers, and homeless off commercial property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 03:02 PM

496 posts, read 574,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
Even lower Income areas are becoming expensive. So in my opinion these areas in general wilil get better over time. I've been to South Gate many times to get tires(because this tire shop has road force balancer) and it doesn't appear that bad at all. Ghetto will continue to move east toward Inland Empire and San Bernardino counties. There's even some hope for compton due to its central location. But I do not see Van nuys gentriifying at all like a poster stated above
yea, i do think that "ghetto" will continue to move out of the "city"....

that would go along with the urban trend....

Old 01-22-2015, 04:26 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It has been happening for years now. West LA used to be a bit wonky, and now it's trendy. Same with areas that used be considered the flats or slums. Places like San Pedro, North Hollywood, Los Feliz, Echo Park, Culver City/Fox Hills have all improved quite a bit.

However... there are still parts of LA that have gotten worse like Huntington Park, Compton, Whittier, South Gate, the Crenshaw District... etc.

I hope they contiunue rebuilding, and it would sure be nice if they'd actually fix our streets.
Haha, those places are getting better, not worse. You must be living in the 80's.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
Van Nuys. I don't see the place turning around. Continues to go downhill. Most of the residents there 20 years ago have fled to places like Simi Valley.
Of course Van Nuys has seen better days, but I wouldn't write it off.

Van Nuys varies depending on the part. There are some nice homes closer to Sherman Oaks area , and there are also nice streets and homes in the Lake Balboa area (which used to be called Van Nuys).

It seems like Sherman Oaks/Studio city is getting a lot more hipper these days, tons of new restauraunts /bars recently. I could see Van Nuys becoming more desirable for people looking for a more affordable area that is pretty close to Sherman Oaks/Studio City.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Of course Van Nuys has seen better days, but I wouldn't write it off.

Van Nuys varies depending on the part. There are some nice homes closer to Sherman Oaks area , and there are also nice streets and homes in the Lake Balboa area (which used to be called Van Nuys).

It seems like Sherman Oaks/Studio city is getting a lot more hipper these days, tons of new restauraunts /bars recently. I could see Van Nuys becoming more desirable for people looking for a more affordable area that is pretty close to Sherman Oaks/Studio City.
makes sense!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
yea, i do think that "ghetto" will continue to move out of the "city"....

that would go along with the urban trend....
I think it's kind of funny that 'inner city' has been used as a term for ghetto...but now inner cities have become hip in many cities.

People these days want to be closer to things , which is why downtowns across America are improving and being redeveloped.

I don't think this trend will go away anytime soon.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:47 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
I think he was referring to "flats" south of Franklin. It was never as bad as Echo Park or Silverlake. But there was a time circa the 80s and 90s when large swaths of the city's more central, urban nodes were much less in favor than they are today. I mean Los Feliz was never a bad area but it was surrounded by a lot of grit (still is compared to Brentwood, blah). With DTLA coming back and places like Echo Park and Silverlake being transformed the cache of Los Feliz has only improved. Hillhurst circa the 1990's was far less spruced up than it is today.
Yeah the good old days. Los Feliz was always nice but you're right that SIlver lake and echo park were fairly undesirable. Now everything is so sanitized.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:48 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times
Van Nuys is actually quite nice in many parts once you get off the main roads littered with apartments (Sepulveda, mostly) and into the SFR neighborhoods.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think it's kind of funny that 'inner city' has been used as a term for ghetto...but now inner cities have become hip in many cities.

People these days want to be closer to things , which is why downtowns across America are improving and being redeveloped.

I don't think this trend will go away anytime soon.
that is funny how that terminology was used. inner city meant crime and suburbs meant safety.

the interesting thing in LA is that so much is de-centralized, so our definitions of inner city and suburbs, i feel, are quite different.

but that still means that I think ALL adjacent neighorboods to DTLA will change dramatically in the next 10 years. Look at Pico-Union. Just yesterday, they announced plans for a "luxury" hotel.

And then we have to consider the USC expansion. that will do wonders in that part.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
that is funny how that terminology was used. inner city meant crime and suburbs meant safety.

the interesting thing in LA is that so much is de-centralized, so our definitions of inner city and suburbs, i feel, are quite different.

but that still means that I think ALL adjacent neighorboods to DTLA will change dramatically in the next 10 years. Look at Pico-Union. Just yesterday, they announced plans for a "luxury" hotel.

And then we have to consider the USC expansion. that will do wonders in that part.
The term "inner city" originated in Chicago like so much in the urban studies field in the USA. It never really fit L.A. completely. Sure, it applied to downtown, Hollywood, Wilshire-Westlake, and all the areas near downtown, but large parts of South L.A. are farther from downtown than Beverly Hills is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles