Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:07 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,243,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Then you're doing something wrong. Very wrong.
A $350k salary @ 30% debt ratio with $1000 in monthly misc debts, you're still able to finance a $1.2MM home with a 10% downpayment.
...so what's up there?
A family making 350k a year could afford even more than that. Depending on down payment, level of debt, you could afford 2 million +. And there are plenty of nice homes in nice areas from 700k-2m.

----

On the topic of fixers, I've stated and seen from experience that a majority of affordable (key word) "fixers" are snatched up through all cash auctions.

Those flipped homes are now selling for 100k more than what they "should" be. Granted there are also "pros" to some flips, however low priced fixers just haven't existed in the past few years.

During this time as I've stated in other threads, people are selling homes that would have been considered fixers as regular sales at inflated prices.

This behavior is on the decline as there is a bit more inventory, things are slowing down and interest rates will be going up in the near future.

A lot of homes are still overvalued (depending on the area) around 20-50k+.

----

This is where the system is screwed up. Investors have really done a number on the state of housing in CA. Flipping isn't inherently bad, but people jumping on the investing bandwagon, in an already crowded market is.

I'd propose eliminating investors by making them live in the home for x amount of years. Second eliminate the all cash requirement of Auctions and allow only those with preapproved mortgages access to these houses. Then streamline the mortgage process and require that the buyer upgrade the home with an included 203k type loan.

You would have the best of all worlds; by eliminating the flipper, you can have a house bought for way under market value, it would be rehabbed to the buyer's specs AND it would be worth more after that, WITHOUT the price being inflated. Hence bringing a truer market value to the table.

The goal would be to allow the middle class to purchase homes more quickly, while at the same time give the buyer exactly what they want, which would hopefully lead to less flight and more community involvement.

But first we'd have to change our thinking and empower buyers with the right tools to show them: "oh hey, there are things like 203k loans that could be used to fix up a house." But right now a lot of people who may be on the cusp never get those chances because the better deals are scooped up quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 02:23 PM

117 posts, read 256,369 times
I declined a job offer in the LA area because of the cost of living. As much as I would love to live there, i'm fresh out of college and it doesn't make since to move there and work my ass off just to live like a savage because of the inflated costs.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:16 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,081,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
A family making 350k a year could afford even more than that. Depending on down payment, level of debt, you could afford 2 million +. And there are plenty of nice homes in nice areas from 700k-2m.
Agreed. Many homeowners here are financing their home at a 40-50% debt-vs-income ratio. Which I'm surprised banks allow but given the ludicrous housing costs...it makes sense. At that ratio, he/she is in the low $2MM's. Maybe they accidentally added an extra zero to their income

Old 12-07-2015, 04:33 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,106,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
I declined a job offer in the LA area because of the cost of living. As much as I would love to live there, i'm fresh out of college and it doesn't make since to move there and work my ass off just to live like a savage because of the inflated costs.
depending on the prospects in the area you're from, this may have been a bad idea. sure LA is expensive, but renting is not usually so bad, it's ownership that is generally the issue. if the job paid well and would have boosted your resume, it may have been worth it to 'live like a savage' for a time before parlaying that experience into a job in an area you consider more desirable.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:38 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,586,901 times
Quote:
A $350k salary @ 30% debt ratio with $1000 in monthly misc debts, you're still able to finance a $1.2MM home with a 10% downpayment.
...so what's up there?
Many people with that salary don't want to put down only 10%. Besides, coming up with $100K+ is difficult. Also, with a 1.2M home with a 10% down payment, you are financing 1.1M, which will cost roughly $5k / month. That's a lot to pay for a mortgage.
Also, a 1.2M house will net you a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom home in the east bay. Forget about Mountain View, Palo Alto, etc.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 15,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
What do you consider to be affordable on $350k+ a year?
I'm a physician who just finished fellowship. Within last two months. My income dramatically jumped from residency/fellowship levels of $60k to $350k. This is expected to increase by another 100k at least in 2 years. I have student loans >200k. I must live within 30 min radius of my hospital.

Until I've saved up $200k or so for downpayment, a reasonable house won't be feasible in this area. By the time I have saved that much, its likely that 1 mil won't buy a decent house.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
...so what's up there?
10% down will require pmi. Plus I'm debt averse, so iI'd rather not have a 30 year loan.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:00 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,765,086 times
Quote:
Agreed. Many homeowners here are financing their home at a 40-50% debt-vs-income ratio. Which I'm surprised banks allow but given the ludicrous housing costs...it makes sense. At that ratio, he/she is in the low $2MM's. Maybe they accidentally added an extra zero to their income
Read his other post, he is shopping for a 800k-1.2M home in Washington, he just came here to troll or hes saying that a 1.2M home in LA still sucks.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:09 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,765,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cAlifornia213 View Post
10% down will require pmi.
PMI isn't always required.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Read his other post, he is shopping for a 800k-1.2M home in Washington, he just came here to troll or hes saying that a 1.2M home in LA still sucks.

I was looking at homes in the east side of Seattle. In desirable areas like Bellevue, 1.2 mil will buy you a fixer upper. It's the same problem as LA. However LA is a much better place (IMHO) than Bellevue/Seattle. If I have to spend >1mil for a decent house, id rather buy it in LA.

So yes, I was looking at houses in Seattle/Bellevue several months ago. I'm not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles