Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 03:41 PM

26,594 posts, read 26,486,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
When they really are crazy, and not just depressed or anxious, they should be forcefully committed.
Unless the person proves to be a danger to himself or to someone else, he cannot be forcefully committed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 03:43 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,292,976 times
Quote:
If you ever go downtown and get a chance to see who's lining up for food/cots at the missions, it can be a real eye-opener. A lot of the people are pretty clean cut and look like they have jobs.

I saw one guy once, about 6'2", blond, well-built, clean cut (could have been ex-military) -- looked like the guy who could have been "your insurance agent" -- with all of his stuff in a push cart (which was the only way to tell he was homeless, really). When you see people like that homeless, it changes your perception of things.

Twice I've seen people with no hands. One was a man who obviously lost his hands in a fire. The other was a woman who was with a group of homeless women and they were very protective of her. What kind of society leaves these people to the streets?

We need more homeless housing. What we are doing now isn't working.
The Millennials as a whole already have a tough go, job wise. Now we have a number of them who are returning vets. Deja vu all over again?

Old 01-23-2015, 03:49 PM

496 posts, read 570,984 times
it has been statistically shown that about 50% do suffer from some form of mental illness, and a large majority suffer from substance abuse.

My post was about helping that aspect of the homeless society, which I believe any reasonable person would admit causes a risk to the public health and safety in any city.

yes, there are MANY people that have fallen on hard times and have endured many unfortunate events that have led to them being homeless. but that does not negate the public health and safety issue that is apportioned to homeless people that are affected with mental issue and such.

this is not about me being dispassionate. I give to homeless people often. I have donated foods. but that does not solve the majority of the issue.

mental disease is a very serious issue that we have to start taking seriously as a city and country, and JUST providing cots and food every night will not solve that, not to say we should stop that. But OTHER options need to be taken, like mental health treatment.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:52 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,115,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The Millennials as a whole already have a tough go, job wise. Now we have a number of them who are returning vets. Deja vu all over again?
I really believe the government has a role in solving the homeless problem and that we shouldn't be depending on private enterprise to do it.

The lack of jobs is a huge problem. The lack of jobs that pay enough to put a roof over someone's head is an even bigger problem.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,427,138 times
California homeless people were cool to me, in other East Coast Cities they get violent if you do not give them money and will harass you all the way down the street, the ones I met on my vacation to California were pleasant and decent people especially the punk kids in Hollywood and East Hollywood part of LA and if you gave him a dollar they really did appreciate your help and your thank you and say God Bless You, the locals in LA and California might hammer me for making this comment but that was my impression of the homeless in LA. California is a very chilled out place for the most part and everyone does their own thing, its a really social liberal place. I did feel bad for the homeless kids that were young and of not fault of their own became homeless.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:00 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,115,873 times
Hollywood and Downtown get more of the crazy homeless. Where I live (Glendale/Burbank), it seems to be more people down on their luck.

Hollywood and Venice Beach get more of the young people.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Hollywood and Downtown get more of the crazy homeless. Where I live (Glendale/Burbank), it seems to be more people down on their luck.

have you noticed that those areas that get more of the "crazy" as you claim it are city limit areas of los angeles. (venice, DTLA, hollywood)

does that mean something?? interesting

Old 01-23-2015, 04:11 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,820,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
it has been statistically shown that about 50% do suffer from some form of mental illness, and a large majority suffer from substance abuse.
Where are these statistics you keep talking about?

Old 01-23-2015, 04:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,427,138 times
Quote:

I personally thought the homeless in Hollywood were not too bad even as a tourist they didn't bother me much, parts of East Hollywood if you went down Western it got kinda shady but even then I still didn't have any problems with the homeless even still. It is kinda sad that they had so many homeless, I was never under the impression that many of them were mentally ill, it seems like a lot of them had drug problems, were hustlers or just punk kids who came from bad home lives so t hey lived on the streets.I was a tourist but it the locals could probably have a different perspective on the matter.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Where are these statistics you keep talking about?
http://www.nationalhomeless.org/fact.../addiction.pdf

Homeless Mentally Ill Facts, Figures and Anecdotes- MENTAL ILLNESS POLICY ORG.

about 1/3 (33%) of homeless people suffer from untreated psychiatric illnesses. About 38% are substance abusers with alcohol and 26% abuse other drugs.

Now I am under the impression that substance abuse can lead to mental illness if not considered a "form" of mental illness itself. These are pretty large percentages that need to be taken seriously by the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles