Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:08 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

We love visiting down town. We were just there this past weekend. I like what is happening. I like the new building projects that are going up. It is amazing to see how things are transforming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 05:33 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
they may not be traditional restaurants, but i'm a big fan of tender greens, california chicken cafe, and pitfire pizza. all of these restaurants are located in gentrified areas and have quality meals for reasonable prices (<$15 per person).
I'm a big fan of them too, but they're not traditional restaurants. Also, if you're a big eater like I am, tender greens is $20-25, and california chicken cafe is about $15-20.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:00 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Here's the Article about LA's Gentrification
Is Gentrification Ruining Los Angeles, or Saving It? Pick a Side - Los Angeles | Los Angeles News and Events | LA Weekly

In my honest opinion. I feel that the gentrification of the last 10 years have made LA a safer and more vibrant city than the one I grew up in the 80's and 90's which was filled with drive by shootings, crack, and the mass of LA just being mostly disconnected.

And the way Downtown has grown in the last 10 years have been amazing. Now it's a center of nightlife, when in the past it used to be a ghost town after dark.

What's your take on LA's gentrification?
Where on earth did you live to experience these things (So Central, Inglewood)? Gentrification is ruining the housing/renting opportunities for many as well as displacing communities of color. Who cares that DTLA is vibrant or not? There was plenty to do 15-20 years ago without DTLA.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I'm a big fan of them too, but they're not traditional restaurants. Also, if you're a big eater like I am, tender greens is $20-25, and california chicken cafe is about $15-20.
There are still more affordable Mexican and Chinese traditional restaurants (and not just expensive ones). Maybe not in Brentwood, the Palisades, North SM, or Beverly Hills, but there are everywhere else. Even South SM has a couple. So does Venice.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:05 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
I love your broad sweeping generalizations in every comment. There are plenty of good, healthy, or quality restaurants to eat at in LA for a quarter of the price you are claiming here. According to you, you're either eating an $8 dollar Sizzler pizza or $100 steak, nothing in between. You are so delusional.
Agreed. LA has so many mid-range options.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:12 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Q. What's your take on LA's gentrification?

A. Long overdue and very welcome! LA is fun to visit on the weekends, and safer.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:27 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
It's a double-edged sword. On one hand, it is making everything expensive, and often times pushes out minorities and poor people, and commercializes everything (we've seen this happen in many parts of New York City and San Francisco). On the other hand, it has helped rebuild downtown, make the city safer, and cleaned it up and made it "cooler". There needs to be a middle ground. Yes, the city should build up its downtown and public transit and make more cool, walkable neighborhoods, artsy areas, and make it safe. But there needs to be a limit--don't over gentrify by making everything expensive, commercial, and hipster.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:16 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
It's a double-edged sword. On one hand, it is making everything expensive, and often times pushes out minorities and poor people,.
To quote directly from the LA Weekly article:
There's a lack of empirical data demonstrating a causal relationship between gentrification and the outmigration of the urban poor. Lance Freeman, professor of urban planning at Columbia University, found that as neighborhoods in New York were gentrified in the 1990s, residents tended to move less frequently. "As neighborhoods gentrify," said Freeman, "they improve in many ways that may be as appreciated by their disadvantaged residents as their more affluent ones."

Another article on the "myth" of gentrification published recently in Slate:
The gentrification myth: It&rsquo;s rare and not as bad for the poor as people think.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:25 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
To quote directly from the LA Weekly article:
There's a lack of empirical data demonstrating a causal relationship between gentrification and the outmigration of the urban poor. Lance Freeman, professor of urban planning at Columbia University, found that as neighborhoods in New York were gentrified in the 1990s, residents tended to move less frequently. "As neighborhoods gentrify," said Freeman, "they improve in many ways that may be as appreciated by their disadvantaged residents as their more affluent ones."

Another article on the "myth" of gentrification published recently in Slate:
The gentrification myth: It&rsquo;s rare and not as bad for the poor as people think.
OK, I'll give you an example.

Many real estate investors are buying buildings in "up and coming" areas (East Hollywood, Echo Park, etc.) that are filled with working class minority (mainly Hispanic) families. As soon as they own the building, they drastically raise the rents on the current residents, so much so that they can no longer afford to live there. The poor families - who have often lived there for decades - have to move to who knows where else. Once the new landlords get the poor people out, they remodel the units and market them to yuppies and professionals. And sure enough, the yuppies come and gentrify. That is the nasty part of gentrification.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:29 PM

362 posts, read 543,924 times
As a property owner, I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles