Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:07 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The VA and lawyers representing homeless veterans in the area have agreed to dismiss a lawsuit filed by homeless veterans seeking additional medical and housing assistance on the VA’s West Los Angeles campus.

Instead, all parties have agreed to cooperate to try and find a way to significantly increase services and housing to homeless veterans at the 387-acre facility.
New Commitment to Homeless Veterans at VA West Los Angeles campus - westsidetoday.com

On the one hand, I support getting the people off the streets who are already in the neighborhood, but OTOH, I don't want the VA to become a magnet for yet more mentally deranged riff-raff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 07:04 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,186 times
That's really insensitive. These are people who served our country and you benefited from the freedom they fight for and defend. And you have the gall to cast them aside as if they are of no consequence.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
That's really insensitive. These are people who served our country and you benefited from the freedom they fight for and defend. And you have the gall to cast them aside as if they are of no consequence.
Actually, I find it rather insensitive when people hang out on the streets and engage in vulgar activity, some of it criminal in nature such as exposing their private area to under-aged females.

And then there's the cursing, screaming, threatening, etc.

And don't tell me I'm insensitive to veterans because I've had them in my family, and even the ones who saw horrific things did none of the aforementioned.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:28 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Actually, I find it rather insensitive when people hang out on the streets and engage in vulgar activity, some of it criminal in nature such as exposing their private area to under-aged females.

And then there's the cursing, screaming, threatening, etc.

And don't tell me I'm insensitive to veterans because I've had them in my family, and even the ones who saw horrific things did none of the aforementioned.
Yes but if you see someone do those things keep in mind its an illness.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:56 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
New Commitment to Homeless Veterans at VA West Los Angeles campus - westsidetoday.com

On the one hand, I support getting the people off the streets who are already in the neighborhood, but OTOH, I don't want the VA to become a magnet for yet more mentally deranged riff-raff.
How did the VA facility start off in such a posh area of Los Angeles? I'll bet that developers have been eyeing that prime spot for decades. I hope that the bldg draws in more war ravaged vets that need a home and go troll around such a beautiful area.

Last edited by wehotex; 01-30-2015 at 12:30 AM..

Old 01-29-2015, 11:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
How did the VA facility start off in such a posh area of Los Angeles? I'll bet that developers have been eyeing that prime spot for decades. I hope that the bldg draws in more war savaged vets that need a home and go troll around such a beautiful area.
It's been there since before the surrounding area was developed.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:30 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Oh well, that explains it.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:37 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
The VA lost its credibility when it stopped being a thoroughfare past the 405 via Brentwood and Westwood

Old 01-30-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Indeed. The area around the VA, especially the Sawtelle area, developed to serve veterans -- we're talking circa 100 years ago. A lot of people saw how nice an area it was here, and started developing it into what became an upscale area. There was even once a trolly that ran down the center median of San Vicente Blvd -- those coral trees are actually relatively new.

And it was no trouble having the VA in its particular location, since 100 years ago people behaved in a more dignified manner and would not dare wander around the surrounding area cursing at and threatening random people (lest you'd be thrown in the paddy wagon), pulling down their pants and urinating for the public to see (!), masturbating in the alcoves of buildings (!!!), etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles