Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:43 PM

329 posts, read 652,857 times

Advertisements

i just moved to Cerritos and Verizon Fios is the only provider. Any tips to get the best deal? Internet or Internet and Cable is is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 PM

317 posts, read 401,432 times
Do they have Verizon Fios in LA? Time warner is garbage and is pretty much owned by the gov't (all of those people getting caught for pirated music are with time warner) I'm from the east coast and Fios is hands down the best you can get.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 809 times
$40

Old 04-01-2015, 10:19 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,166,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
Do they have Verizon Fios in LA? Time warner is garbage and is pretty much owned by the gov't (all of those people getting caught for pirated music are with time warner) I'm from the east coast and Fios is hands down the best you can get.
FiOS has very limited availability in LA. Basically Santa Monica, some of Marina del Rey and a few other little pockets near the coast here and there. And as far as I know they aren't expanding FiOS coverage.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:22 AM

39 posts, read 58,264 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's not the fault of the person illegally stealing media, but the ISP for identifying the person. The entitlement here...

Old 04-02-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Better wait a minute. Better hold the phone. Better mind your manners. Better change your tone.
I'm a Mean Green Mother, from outer space and I'm bad.

cynsis, I don't you understand how dirty Time Warner Cable is. I PURCHASED my own cable equipment, informed them and registered my MAC addr with them and STILL billed me for my home wifi network. The FCC and CPUC gets an earfull about TWC, because that's democracy. If we didn't have federal & state regulators and the regular class action lawsuit in order to keep them honest, it would be like the French Revolution all over again.

Time Warner Cable's CEO made $16M in 2011, $17M in 2012, $14M in 2013, then contracted cancer and died in 2014:

Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt Made $17.4 Million in 2012 - Hollywood Reporter
Glenn Britt Dead: Former Time Warner Cable CEO Dies at 65 of Cancer - Hollywood Reporter

do you think his fortune was natural? The $45B TWC-Comcast merger was begun by him, and the debate rages still today.

great price. your google-fu is strong. Netgear C6300 is $180-$280 according to google shopping, so I am not wrong.

3MB/sec = 24 mbps, my actual observed downstream maximum from a single source.
5.5MB/sec = 45 mbps, my actual observed aggregate downstream max from multiple simulanteous sources. 98% of users are unable to saturate their connection, and the single source metric remains the more useful number. Has the world been made more clear for you, now?
That Netgear you linked is a wifi router AND a cable modem. If you're just buying a cable modem (like most smart people) its 130 bucks. Of course a device that performs two completely different functions is going to be more expensive. If you had mentioned you had a modem/wifi router combo, I wouldn't have commented on it. You can Google why buying combo modems are a terrible idea if you care to educate yourself.

Not sure why you're going on about the TWC CEO, most make an exorbitant amount of money. It's nothing exclusive to TWC.

The bottleneck isn't the speed of your personal network, there's a variety of influences at play, the source's upload speed, data connection/farm, latency, infrastructure, fiber vs copper, age, etc. Plenty of factors go into why speeds fluctuate and why you don't get a straight up 50 download on a 50 connection. This does not happen with any ISP in the world. There are too many other factors that affect how data is transferred.

So much head smacking on these forums.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 PM

329 posts, read 652,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittromneydoesntpaytaxes View Post
$40
Update:

I got the Verizon fios 50/50 internet only package for $56/month plus installation fees. The speed is 40 with Ethernet hardwired connection, but goes down to 18 or 20 max with wireless router (Verizon leased gateway).

I had much better experience with Comcast in bay area.

Any way to fix it. Sat for 2 hours last night with Verizon tech and he changed channels (auto to 11 to 1) and nothing helped.

Should I escalate with Verizon billing to get a discount?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:33 PM

317 posts, read 401,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsis View Post
Yeah, it's not the fault of the person illegally stealing media, but the ISP for identifying the person. The entitlement here...
oh yea, right. Like you've never downloaded a song or movie off the internet. Who gives a crap at this point. This is what people do today and they need to accept it. Boo Hoo I'm listening to music for free, what a crime, its as if I shot a man.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 658 times
$49

Old 04-05-2015, 03:58 AM

Quote:
oh yea, right. Like you've never downloaded a song or movie off the internet. Who gives a crap at this point. This is what people do today and they need to accept it. Boo Hoo I'm listening to music for free, what a crime, its as if I shot a man.
You aren't entitled to music or movies just because you can pirate them for free. Stealing is as much of a crime as murder is, it doesn't matter if one is extremely easy to do and "everyone does it". That doesn't make it any less illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles