Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 03:01 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Then that person needs to take some damn responsibility and move to place that better suits their needs and desires. After that blessed relocation finally happens, there is no logical reason to revisit his/her grand delusion on an internet message board.
I can understand that one doesn't need to revisit the internet board but there's no reason to sound so self righteous and act as though taking responsibility means getting the heck outta dodge. Some people might not be able to relocate. Did ya ever think about that or is someone's rant just annoying you personally? There are a lot of annoying unneeded hassles in LA. It's not a perfect paradise. There are many desires that LA meets that also come with downsides. For me the needs are worth the cons but it's ok to still notice the city's flaws.

I for one have started an amazing program in my field of choice. This program is unique and offers an unprecedented amount of experience and opportunities that no other city (other than NYC) would offer. But granted that LA offers such a unique thing one can still see the hassles of living in a city like this. I have a more nuanced less rose colored view of the city and can't just pick up and leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 04:06 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I can understand that one doesn't need to revisit the internet board but there's no reason to sound so self righteous and act as though taking responsibility means getting the heck outta dodge. Some people might not be able to relocate. Did ya ever think about that or is someone's rant just annoying you personally? There are a lot of annoying unneeded hassles in LA. It's not a perfect paradise. There are many desires that LA meets that also come with downsides. For me the needs are worth the cons but it's ok to still notice the city's flaws.

I for one have started an amazing program in my field of choice. This program is unique and offers an unprecedented amount of experience and opportunities that no other city (other than NYC) would offer. But granted that LA offers such a unique thing one can still see the hassles of living in a city like this. I have a more nuanced less rose colored view of the city and can't just pick up and leave.
You are confusing common sense with self righteousness. If it's essential for one's own happiness, then yes, taking responsibility means getting outta Dodge. That particular transplant already has done so. And if it means you can't accept all the plainly obvious warts, responsibility also means admitting one's own mistake in moving here in the first place.

Conversely, it is irresponsible to chose an alternate reality wherein illegal immigration, over-population, inflated real estate prices and unresponsive governance are all recent phenomena than coincidentally sprang forth from the bosom of the Earth immediately after one's relocation here. Have you considered why are excusing an argument so fundamentally illogical?

The rent is indeed too damn high. Of course, had the most notoriously disaffected transplants not exercised poor judgment by moving here, there would measurably less pressure on housing. Feel free tell me more of what I already know, just don't expect me to tolerate an attempted murder of recent history.

It's great you are in program you find rewarding. If and when you decide to move on, I trust you won't explain your motivations for that move by spinning some yarn about the halcyon days of cheap housing and unclogged freeways way back in 2012.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
You are confusing common sense with self righteousness. If it's essential for one's own happiness, then yes, taking responsibility means getting outta Dodge. That particular transplant already has done so. And if it means you can't accept all the plainly obvious warts, responsibility also means admitting one's own mistake in moving here in the first place.

Conversely, it is irresponsible to chose an alternate reality wherein illegal immigration, over-population, inflated real estate prices and unresponsive governance are all recent phenomena than coincidentally sprang forth from the bosom of the Earth immediately after one's relocation here. Have you considered why are excusing an argument so fundamentally illogical?

The rent is indeed too damn high. Of course, had the most notoriously disaffected transplants not exercised poor judgment by moving here, there would measurably less pressure on housing. Feel free tell me more of what I already know, just don't expect me to tolerate an attempted murder of recent history.

It's great you are in program you find rewarding. If and when you decide to move on, I trust you won't explain your motivations for that move by spinning some yarn about the halcyon days of cheap housing and unclogged freeways way back in 2012.
Essential for ones own happiness? No would live Minnesota or whatever Podunk town out of nowhere. People can't just pick up and move to fulfill their happiness. That's not common sense. There's only so much a person can do. And no one has an exact book that contains the exact list of things wrong with any city. It takes living in a city to see all its flaws. All you can do is gather a rough sketch on boards like this or just guess superficially that LA is crowded cus its big, has illegals cus its close to the border, and is expensive cus its a popular destination. Other than that nothing could have told me about the various other grievences I would have with the city. In fact I was pleasantly surprised that some of my worries weren't a concern anymore since most of the info outside of LA hasn't really been updated since the late 90s, like crime.

You can do all the homework you want. I did and made sure to deal with stuff when I got here but once here there a host of other issues I encountered that one could only gather from living here, specifically my area too.

There are pros and cons to any city. I feel the pros outweight the benefits but at the same time I could see, without passing judgment, why some people (who can't easily escape) would feel unhinged living here. There's a guy I work with who thinks texas is a Shangrila of jobs and middle-class living and constantly asks me questions about it. He wants to leave LA and bashes it all the time. He's making the effort to move too but can't because of costs and family issues. I don't judge him and tell him he's being unreasonable. I get him. I get why someone would say those things.

I'm just in a place thank god where I'm doing better than most. That's the main reason why I attribute my love for LA.

Last edited by radiolibre99; 02-07-2015 at 04:55 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 04:51 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Lol at this post, especially the part where you tell someone from Houston that it's too hot here in the summer.

Next, are you going to tell someone from North Dakota that it's too cold here in the winter because it was in the 40s a few days in January?

Sylmar might be a "hell hole" but a lot of LA is not.
I don't think Sylmar quite qualifies as a "hell hole" when you factor in the tons of other neighborhoods in this city.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
OP, as a fellow Texan I can give you some advice. Please do consider that you WILL downgrade in terms of luxury. Unless you're rolling in the dough like Uncle Scrooge, you might have to get used to a slightly lower standard of living. The upside is your quality of life will improve. Texas is all about quantity while CA really is all about quality. The State is stricter and demands more fees but you can see it in the quality of some things like roads, programs, city infrastructure, etc. Compared to Houston the city government in LA makes Houston's looks like an administrative office at a local bank.

The OC might be nice for y'all but it's still expensive. You guys might easily have a comparable life in Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, Burbank, Pasadena or Northridge.

I'm surprised you guys would even consider LA if y'all live in the typical new and shiny master planned community like Cinco Ranch or Cross Creek Ranch or the Woodlands. I'm sure the with an engineer and an IT combined salary, the 100k millionaire lifestyle is sweet. Let's just say that here in LA, that doesn't exist.

So it just depends on what you're willing to trade. Yes, I think the life is more laid back, less keeping up with the joneses (the more into the city you are), less stuffy than ultra corporate Houston, and beautiful. Nearly every weekend feels like a vacay.

But if you want that at a cheaper cost why not move to Austin or San Antonio near the lakes? Marble Falls is beautiful.
For Orange County, there are cities there right in the middle of all that have neighborhoods with a semi-rural aura (I am thinking Anaheim and Garden Grove, with the large ranch-style houses on large parcels, but there are others as well).

Old 02-07-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
For Orange County, there are cities there right in the middle of all that have neighborhoods with a semi-rural aura (I am thinking Anaheim and Garden Grove, with the large ranch-style houses on large parcels, but there are others as well).
I remember driving around in sun valley and beyond, I think before I got to La Crescenta. I don't know where I as but it was pretty rural. Gorgeous area near the mountains but by the look of the homes it was still working to middle class.

I prefer a place like that. I'm going to go and get lost in that area again and look around.

Anyone have an idea where I was?

Old 02-07-2015, 05:11 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
I don't think Sylmar quite qualifies as a "hell hole" when you factor in the tons of other neighborhoods in this city.
I don't think it is either. I was merely quoting the OP.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I remember driving around in sun valley and beyond, I think before I got to La Crescenta. I don't know where I as but it was pretty rural. Gorgeous area near the mountains but by the look of the homes it was still working to middle class.

I prefer a place like that. I'm going to go and get lost in that area again and look around.

Anyone have an idea where I was?
Very likely Tujunga or Sunland, which are within the city limits of Los Angeles and right along Foothill Blvd.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:14 PM

Ok cool, it was so nice and it felt like I was far out of the city while still being in the city. So peaceful. How much for a place there? Didn't really see many apartments.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Ok cool, it was so nice and it felt like I was far out of the city while still being in the city. So peaceful. How much for a place there? Didn't really see many apartments.
Not sure, and you may have been in "Shadow Hills", which is on the other side of 210 from Tujunga and Sunland, which would explain why there are not many apartments.

Google home prices for zip codes 91040 (Sunland and Shadow Hills), 91042 (Tujunga), and 91352 (Sun Valley/La Tuna Canyon).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles