Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 906 times

Advertisements

I recently rented out a room in a house that the landlord uses as a spot for her accupuncture business but she also resides in it. She is also renting the master bedroom as well to another tenant. I moved in on the 24 of January and paid 180$ of prorated rent as well as 700$ security deposit. My rent is 700$ and that is for all utilities and laundry and kitchen use along with internet. Although I no longer use the common areas of the house very often because i feel so uncomfortable.

On the Year length lease she wrote "No extended overnight guests without prior arrangements (eg longer than a weekend) 2. No pets allowed from visitors. 3 Because of the clinic, quiet may be requested during treatment. 4. No alterations to wall, structures, without permission. 5. Serious or non serious damages will be deducted from deposit."
Well for the first week i moved in i had my girlfriend over pretty often, about 4 out of at 7 days of week but not within a consecutive period, i understood that it was not right after we talked and we came to an agreement and she imposed a new set of rules. I have followed the new set of rules simply to keep the peace, although i feel as if they may be arbitrary and not legally binding. Since the new rules my girlfriend has only been over on the weekends.

Well since then she has made it a terribly hostile place to live, she is constantly stomping her feet at all hours of the day, slams every single door, and leaves notes everywhere along with periodically coming to my door and knocking on it and telling me such things as: Recently she told my girlfriend could not sleep over on sundays because when the time changes to 12 am it is no longer a weekend and that she will charge me $25 every time a guest stays over that doesnt fall on the days of friday and saturday and another 10$ everytime that guest showers.We both have already agreed that I am allowed to terminate the lease and that I will be leaving with my deposit after deductions are taken out. I have informed her that deductions from a deposit can only be taken from repairs but she refuses to listen. Enclosed are several photographs of the notes she have left. Any insight would be appreciated.

I understood that having my girlfriend could be a problem which is why i agreed to her only being there on the weekends, she does not use any utilities other than the toilet and the sink to brush her teeth. All showers are shared with me and that has only been once. My landlord leaves me texts such as "you must be delusional if you think i dont know that she will be sleeping over here tonight" when in fact she is not sleeping over. Please check out the pictures enclosed, this has been as span of
almost 3 weeks. She is telling me that she can take deduct from the security deposit by charging me 25$ for overnight stays other than fri&sat and 10$ for showers due to "violation of lease terms that causes me to incur extra costs. You're delusional if you that I don't know she is sleeping over again tonight, and that I will continue to foot the extra utility bills due to you violating your lease terms.""As I said you are on notice. what you think can be determined in court. Do not text me back"

But i do not understand how she is footing the utility bill when I am paying rent! I do not understand how i can be paying rent but treated this way. I regularly receive texts at work about her complaining to me about something.
She recently enacted a new rule where i cannot close the hallway door leading to kitchen and cannot turn off the light in the hallway outside my door.
Also before I moved in I asked her if having my girlfriend over often would be an issue, and she told me no. I also let her know that I work late hours and regularly arrive around 12:30 and sometimes am hungry so i would like to cook. She assured me that it was no problem and that i could cook if i needed to. A week later she ennacted a rule saying no cooking after 10 pm. I have a feeling she lied to me in order to get my to sign a lease and pay her.
I am not making any assumptions about the law, I do not know it, which is why i hope to receive good responses.
rl]https://imageshack.com/a/KLvz/1[/url]

Last edited by everfgreen; 02-10-2015 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:36 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,752 times
Paragraphs.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:05 PM

170 posts, read 234,271 times
I know AZ and CA Real Estate laws are different (I'm a licensed (inactive) Realtor in AZ), but if this situation was happening in AZ, the "contract" would be thrown out of court in a heartbeat.

I suggest you do two things.....

1) Contact a CA Real Estate lawyer and ask if you can get some cheap advice. If not, then I would see if you can get a hold of the local HUD office and get some low income legal help.

2) If you are close to your contract expiration, look elsewhere. If you aren't close to the end, and you fear legal repercussions, then see my previous point.

It's crazy how in CA, the landlord/tenant laws are sooooooo owner/landlord bias. Kinda funny as AZ is the exact opposite....(I'm a landlord in AZ and will be renting in CA. FML...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles