Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:55 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times

Advertisements

Of course we have all been hearing in the news about the super bad ugly no good weather in the East Coast right now. Does anyone think that this storm will encourage more people to move from the East Coast (NYC,Boston,etc) to warmer weather cities like L.A?

I haven't lived in the cold before, but it seems that even people that do live in it don't want to live in it forever, or want to get out of it when they can.

I've been spending time in South Florida and in Fort Lauderdale almost everyone seems to be from the east coast or canada right now. I was walking along the beach and nearly ever car had a nonFlorida plate (well maybe 90% or so)

I wonder how many on the east coast are looking at their weather and temperatures and what they pay for housing and then look at weather in L.A and say "screw it..I'm moving"

L.A has improved in many ways and housing is a lot less than many places in the east coast like NYC and Boston.

There are signs the New Yorkers are taking notice. An example is this recent NY Times article about Koreatown in L.A

I'm sure it will be a real shocker to NYC people that L.A has *gasp* culture...and *gasp* SUBWAYS/Transit!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/tr...eles.html?_r=0

"The antidote to Hollywood’s seasonal Academy Awards fever is just a few blocks away, in Koreatown. It’s hard to imagine that two decades ago, K-Town, as it is known in local parlance, was a flash point for the Los Angeles riots: a low-rent district engulfed in flames. Today this sprawling, three-square-mile community just west of downtown has become one of the city’s hippest areas thanks to the continuing renovation of its rich architectural heritage, a new subway traversing its Wilshire Boulevard hub and recently opened boutique hotels like the Line and Normandie. Moreover, K-Town never sleeps, given its strong Asian and Latin work ethic and its clubs, bars and restaurants that have become urban night-life hubs. As the most densely packed part of Los Angeles, it’s also one of the city’s most strollable, with Art Deco buildings and palm-lined boulevards. With the influence of three generations of Korean and Latino immigrants, these once-mean streets have become a picturesque and prosperous “Blade Runner”-ish warren of ethnic culinary hot spots imbued with an East-meets-West sense of fun."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:12 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,161 times
Remember, not everyone wants to live in CA, let alone LA proper. The COL is a major factor too. There are plenty of other places people can relocate to escape East Coast and Mid-west weather. For me, CA is my future destination, but not everyone is willing and able to make the sacrifices in order to live there.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 AM

Yeah that is true. I saw a ton of people from the East Coast and Canada right now when I was there. I always wonder why people would only want to escape from somewhere temporarily instead of just leaving. I'm guessing family, friends and other things keep them in those cold weather areas.

If you can live where you vacation

South FL is of course a much bigger draw for those from the East Coast than L.A..because it's cheaper,warmer and a lot closer too.

One big issue though is the economy ,especially an area like Fort Lauderdale is not as diverse as in L.A .

Old 02-17-2015, 09:25 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
There will certainly be a subset who say enough is enough and make such a move. However, unlike that past waves when a string of bad NE winters would hit, I suspect a number of them will be more interested in the SE US / Texas / etc. Times have changed.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:10 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
Exactly, the COL will still deter people. I say there will be a bigger migration to places down south like Florida, Texas, the Carolina's, maybe New Mexico and AZ.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,413,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Remember, not everyone wants to live in CA, let alone LA proper. The COL is a major factor too. There are plenty of other places people can relocate to escape East Coast and Mid-west weather. For me, CA is my future destination, but not everyone is willing and able to make the sacrifices in order to live there.
So true. In CA you pay a price for the great weather. Semi-great weather is available in other places.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
What many are fogetting, the horrible weather in the east will end in a few weeks, but what about the drought in California. Mother nature does what she wants. I doubt many people are going to leave the East coast and move to CA for the weather, they will continue to go south of whare they are now or maybe even AZ. where the COL is cheaper.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Exactly, the COL will still deter people. I say there will be a bigger migration to places down south like Florida, Texas, the Carolina's, maybe New Mexico and AZ.
True it does make sense for most Florida, Texas and those other areas would make sense. But I'm thinking more of the urban cosmopolitan type of person that might live in Manhattan or Boston and live relatively comfortably where they could pretty easily afford to live in L.A and it would cost them the same or even less in living expenses.

I could see Miami being appealing (but right now it feels like you need to speak Spanish to live there pretty much..much more so than L.A) but I think a new yorker (from NYC) would likely want to live in L.A over any of those other areas.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:28 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What many are fogetting, the horrible weather in the east will end in a few weeks, but what about the drought in California. Mother nature does what she wants. I doubt many people are going to leave the East coast and move to CA for the weather, they will continue to go south of whare they are now or maybe even AZ. where the COL is cheaper.
The drought is severe, but we don't feel it. In the North-East they're dealing with feet of snow every week it seems. Here we just stopped watering our lawns so much. It's apples and orangutans. And the South has hurricanes and the effects of the BP oil spill. Those economies took a big hit from the spill and hurricane season is longer and more far reaching every year.
Clearly Los Angeles won't see a huge influx of people from the East Coast, but the West Coast probably will.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:32 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,413,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
True it does make sense for most Florida, Texas and those other areas would make sense. But I'm thinking more of the urban cosmopolitan type of person that might live in Manhattan or Boston and live relatively comfortably where they could pretty easily afford to live in L.A and it would cost them the same or even less in living expenses.

I could see Miami being appealing (but right now it feels like you need to speak Spanish to live there pretty much..much more so than L.A) but I think a new yorker (from NYC) would likely want to live in L.A over any of those other areas.
If I was a NYer, San Francisco would appeal more to me than LA would. But even as it stands now, LA and NYC share a huge population with each other. So many people traveling between both, and have lived in both at one point or another. The LAX-JFK route is hugely popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles