Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:50 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,685,101 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Manhattan and Hermosa Beach. It went from middle class to upper middle class to astronical in terms of price. But if you can swing it, it is one of the coolest places to live in LA IMO. Torrance Beach is also very nice. We finally moved to Colorado because it was just too expensive for us. But this is still my home away from home:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 06:11 PM

830 posts, read 2,859,593 times
I find it amazing that so many people looking to move to LA make $300,000+ per year.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,200 times
motoman, Why? You need a $200K down payment for a $1M home leaving an 800K mortgage. So (VERY roughly) if you figure 25% of your income going into your house payments and taxes, you're not too far off of that $300K per year income requirement. That's why LA has a ridiculous <10% affordability index.

briz, PM me if you'd like more info on the South Bay. I've lived here for 35-yrs.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:29 PM

830 posts, read 2,859,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
motoman, Why? You need a $200K down payment for a $1M home leaving an 800K mortgage. So (VERY roughly) if you figure 25% of your income going into your house payments and taxes, you're not too far off of that $300K per year income requirement. That's why LA has a ridiculous <10% affordability index.

briz, PM me if you'd like more info on the South Bay. I've lived here for 35-yrs.

I was being sarcastic. That less than 10% of the population can afford the median priced house is so unsustainable it isn't funny. And you are right about the math. To live along the beach, or in the upper-middle class neighborhoods, you have to make roughly $300,000+ per year, at a minimum.

If you make that kind of money, you are in the top 1% of household incomes in the ENTIRE country, yet people talk about those kinds of prices like anyone can afford them. It's rather humorous.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM

149 posts, read 567,661 times
We lived in La Canada for two years and loved it. Very community feel with excellent schools, nice trail system and close to lots of shopping and dining.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
I was being sarcastic. That less than 10% of the population can afford the median priced house is so unsustainable it isn't funny. And you are right about the math. To live along the beach, or in the upper-middle class neighborhoods, you have to make roughly $300,000+ per year, at a minimum.
Well it seems crazy, and it is for anybody coming to the area without a good amount of $$ in their pocket.

But there is another side to the story. A lot of middle class folks from the area bought at the right time and really hit the California Gold Rush in RE. Many of the old timers just invested wisely whether they knew it or not at the time. Now they are sitting on a substantial amount of equity. So I would say that 90% of the people who live there 'don't' earn 300K+/year. They just made some good choices.

The other 10% are truly wealthy from many different walks of life - pro athletes, film industry moguls, business owners, old money, etc...

So you get an interesting mix in the South Bay. And some of the wealthiest walk around in old shorts and tee shirts. So you never realize that that person lives in a 3 million dollar + house right on the beach!

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-13-2008 at 09:50 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 09:48 PM

Wow, under a million dollars is not too common anymore there. It could be a sweet deal.

I grew up in Hermosa and went to Mira Costa High School in Manhattan Beach. Its a fun place to grow up if you can afford it thats for sure.

MrsHB, just curious where are you moving to?

-Derek

Old 01-13-2008, 11:37 PM

5 posts, read 30,677 times
Thanks everyone for your input! It make my decision making process slightly easier.

I will definitely add Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach and parts of OC onto my short list.

Does anyone like Irvine? It seems to be thriving, but no one really posts too much about it.

Regards.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 AM

IMO, it has less character than the other OC communities. It is newer with a lot of business districts, cookie cutter townhomes and some nice suburb neighborhoods. But I would take Mission Viejo, Huntington Beach or San Clemete over Irvine any day.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:11 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,277 times
Irvine is a nice community. Of all the cities in Orange County, it has to be the most sterile though. It is a nice community with great schools and your right, it is thriving, especially with jobs, but is sort of the most sterile of the communities. What always makes me laugh is how serious Irvine takes safety. Ever since Mission Viejo beat them in some ranking the city has gone insane. Who cares, we're both safe! But what is really funny is to watch Irvine Police drive around on these segway things. Why on earth would a city so safe need to invest in technology like this? The average offense in Irvine is jay walking or speeding. What is this machine for, running down jay walkers. Just kind of seems like a wasteful place to have technology like this, but hey, its Irvine.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles