Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:43 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
If I have a limited resource, such as water, does it become more or less limited with a positive population growth?
The population of the entire country has grown by a huge amount since Southern California's water infrastructure was put in place. Neglecting infrastructure is a national problem. If the infrastructure had been maintained and updated properly over these many decades it wouldn't be such a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
You quoted my whole post, so I know you saw the "I know it's not that simple" part....
You said you couldn't wrap your head around the why. I'm telling you how you can wrap your head around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:43 PM

807 posts, read 898,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
all we have to do is water less often, there is no need to strip your garden of trees, grass, or other non drought plants, my plants do very well with less water...

water at night, just to get the dirt and soil damp and a bit muddy, and just spray the lawn quickly... minimal waste of water and you get to keep your garden, and not get palm springs style gardening.
A very reasonable point. Some grasses can handle less watering and any reduction in water use is good.

But for those people who are willing to accept the removal of lawns, even if they keep the trees, why not? It doesn't have to be everyone. A well planned yard built out of pavers, planters and an occasional tree can be made to look really good too. It saves people the trouble of worrying about mowing the lawn and potentially adds nice usable patio space to the front yard too.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:34 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
The population of the entire country has grown by a huge amount since Southern California's water infrastructure was put in place. Neglecting infrastructure is a national problem. If the infrastructure had been maintained and updated properly over these many decades it wouldn't be such a problem.
I do not dissgree with any of what you've stated in the above. I'm simply saying that the surge in population is essentially throwing fuel on the fire. I wish people, especially Northeasterners, would stop moving here.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I do not dissgree with any of what you've stated in the above. I'm simply saying that the surge in population is essentially throwing fuel on the fire. I wish people, especially Northeasterners, would stop moving here.
Oh no, people like my city! This must end!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,649 times
Quote:
This is the second time I've seen you saying this. First time I laughed it off thinking it was a silly joke. But if you actually hate the idea of people moving to LA (which will only increase) then why don't you move out of LA? Or at least come to terms with reality.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:56 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
If California is experiencing a severe drought why do they let homes have grass? Why aren't they telling golf courses to have natural landscapes outside the fairways? Why don't they raise water rates?
Because the severe drought was only last year. How do you know they're not poised to implement measures like that? It's not entirely clear yet if the drought is long-term (i.e. permanent climate change, which would warrant such measures), or a short-term fluctuation.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:58 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Because Americans' worst fear is being inconvenienced.
"You mean my lawn would have to be not grass? NIMBY! NIMBY!"
It has nothing to do with NIMBY-ism. Do you even know what that is?

Replacing grass with xeriscaping and gravel isn't a big deal.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Because the severe drought was only last year. How do you know they're not poised to implement measures like that? It's not entirely clear yet if the drought is long-term (i.e. permanent climate change, which would warrant such measures), or a short-term fluctuation.
Central and Southern California have been in severe drought since 2013 and it's expected to last for at least a few more years. El Nino will be minor and mostly miss us. And climatologists are expecting a "mega-drought" in the next 20 or 30 years that will essentially kill agriculture on the Western half of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
It has nothing to do with NIMBY-ism. Do you even know what that is?
Replacing grass with xeriscaping and gravel isn't a big deal.
Yeah, I know know what it is. Angry scared people who think change is worse than the Nazis.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:14 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,649 times
Quote:
Central and Southern California have been in severe drought since 2013 and it's expected to last for at least a few more years. El Nino will be minor and mostly miss us. And climatologists are expecting a "mega-drought" in the next 20 or 30 years that will essentially kill agriculture on the Western half of the country.

Yeah, I know know what it is. Angry scared people who think change is worse than the Nazis.
Godwinning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles