Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 03:23 PM

807 posts, read 897,865 times

Advertisements

Hacienda Heights, Rowland Heights, Walnut and Diamond Bar are within LA County's borders and have pockets of Asian areas. Is this area still part of the SGV? I've generally thought of the SGV as stopping at the 605. The region containing those four cities sort of feels like Orange County suburbs to me, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 03:28 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,783 times
Don't think I saw Alhambra mentioned.........

Of course I didn't spend a lot of time there so I don't know if the Asian "culture" is strong enough to qualify. Population certainly would.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:34 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
Hacienda Heights, Rowland Heights, Walnut and Diamond Bar are within LA County's borders and have pockets of Asian areas. Is this area still part of the SGV? I've generally thought of the SGV as stopping at the 605. The region containing those four cities sort of feels like Orange County suburbs to me, though.
They are more than pockets. Many stores and restaurants in that area have Asian names with English subtitles. I think the SGV continues past the 605, even past the 57 IMO.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:45 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Koreatown = Koreans
East Hollywod/Thaitown = Thai
SGV = Chinese, Tawainese etc.
Torrance, Little Tokyo, Sawtelle/Little Osaka = Japanese
Carson/LBC = Filipinos
LBC/ Little Phnom Penh = Cambodians
Artesia = Indians
Cerritos = Pan-Asian (East and SE Asian mostly)
West LA/Tehrangeles = Persians
Glendale = Armenians

I know there are some Indian and Korean communities in the SFV, but I'm not very knowledgeable with the SFV.

Of the ones I mentioned, the most popping/thriving would be Koreatown, Little Tokyo and Little Osaka, Little India in Artesia. All these places are easy to navigate and explore, as they are densely concentrated and more urban. Torrance, the SGV and Cerritos are more suburban in nature, and don't really have 'centers', but are arguably more to the ground to the actual Asian American experience now a days (spread out in suburban middle class/professional cities).
I miss the Thai and Armenian festivals on Hollywood when I lived in Los Feliz; waking up to music and the smell of barbecue in the morning... mmm.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:46 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Not true, the western end of the San Gabriel valley, which is where the Asian concentration exists, is in LA county.

Dave
I put in bold what I was referring to when I quoted you. You mentioned Buena Park, which is in OC. The other poster mentioned Irvine.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:49 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
I miss the Thai and Armenian festivals on Hollywood when I lived in Los Feliz; waking up to music and the smell of barbecue in the morning... mmm.
Never been to the Armenian festival, but the Thai one is pretty kick ass!

Old 03-06-2015, 03:52 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
"SGV" is from Alhambra to Pomona or so. Eastern LA County cities like Walnut, D-Bar, R-Heights, San Dimas, West Covina, and such are all definitely SGV cities.

What usually aren't considered SGV cities would be cities way east like Claremont and LaVerne... and "Gateway" cities like Whittier, Pico Rivera, and maybe Montebello (arguable).

Old 03-06-2015, 06:58 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,006,421 times
The San Gabriel Valley (Monterey Park, San Gabriel, Arcadia, Alhambra, South Pasadena, Hacienda Heights, Diamond Bar), Cerritos, Irvine, La Crescenta, Koreatown, Little Tokyo, Chinatown, Westminster, Hollywood, North Hollywood, Artesia, etc

Old 03-06-2015, 07:01 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
"SGV" is from Alhambra to Pomona or so. Eastern LA County cities like Walnut, D-Bar, R-Heights, San Dimas, West Covina, and such are all definitely SGV cities.
Right on, genjy.
San Gabriel Valley - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 03-06-2015, 07:05 PM

490 posts, read 660,028 times
All Mentioned + Gardena

Epicenter of Mandarin community is in San Gabriel.
The San Gabriel Square at Del Mar/Valley Actually feels like China lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles