Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 02:45 PM

4 posts, read 26,055 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the Valley/TO/SC area. Can anyone help decide where would be best? These are considerations:

Not too congested --we don't want heavy traffic on six lane roads just to go to the grocery store and we would like the kids to be able to ride bikes in the street.

Large houses and lots. I know this is a lot to ask, but we would prefer a 4-6 bedroom house on at least a half acre, more preferably about an acre --for less than 1.5 million dollars. (I figure that the real estate market might eventually drop 1.5 million into our range).

Professional live theaters and concerts in the area. It seems that LA would be too far to go for that, although if there is a train nearby that can take us to an approprate place in LA in a reasonable amount of time . . .). I realize that convenient access to pro-sports events it out of the question!

Jobs for technical professional within easy commute. In other words, research-oriented companies such as Amgen nearby would be a big plus.

Recereation --parks, tennis, ocean, etc.

Reasonable commute time to airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 02:56 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,304 times
Well, you realized that conveniet access to pro-sport events is out of the question. I also think live theatres and concerts would also be a long ride on the freeway. Fortunately, I live about 15 miles away from the LAX but it can take up to an hour even then. From Santa Clarita, Thousand Oaks, and Agoura Hills it would be an hour or so without traffic. Calabasas is right on the border of L.A. county and Ventura County so that would be your best choice in my opinion. Grocery store shopping is down the street for almost everyone in Los Angeles and I see kids riding their bikes all the time
Calabasas is your best option since you want to be close but not too far from the city with a town oriented enviornment.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losnek View Post
We are considering a move to the Valley/TO/SC area. Can anyone help decide where would be best? These are considerations:

Not too congested --we don't want heavy traffic on six lane roads just to go to the grocery store and we would like the kids to be able to ride bikes in the street.

Large houses and lots. I know this is a lot to ask, but we would prefer a 4-6 bedroom house on at least a half acre, more preferably about an acre --for less than 1.5 million dollars. (I figure that the real estate market might eventually drop 1.5 million into our range).

Professional live theaters and concerts in the area. It seems that LA would be too far to go for that, although if there is a train nearby that can take us to an approprate place in LA in a reasonable amount of time . . .). I realize that convenient access to pro-sports events it out of the question!

Jobs for technical professional within easy commute. In other words, research-oriented companies such as Amgen nearby would be a big plus.

Recereation --parks, tennis, ocean, etc.

Reasonable commute time to airport.
Where are you moving from?
Why do you want to move to those towns?
Your price range is $1.5M.
What line of work are you in?
Where are you applying for work?
Kids?

Old 01-11-2008, 06:56 PM

26 posts, read 116,961 times
Santa Clarite but there are a lot of illegals gathering around on the streets. Crime is up because of this. An illegal raped several women a month ago but at least he was caught.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:17 PM

4 posts, read 26,055 times
Default Follow-up

Charles and SurekRZA, thanks for the responses.

Don't the suburbs around there have live theater and concerts?

We don't know if we are moving yet. Just scoping out possibilities now. We live in St. Louis and I am interested in moving for the usual reasons people move to California: weather, lifestyle, etc., plus St. Louis is too conservative for my preferences. St. Louis is not experiencing the drop in real estate prices to the degree we hear it is hitting California, so I figured that between the appreciation on our current home and the expected drop from the $1.5 million currently or recently asked, we might be able to swing it. Even with a significant drop, $1.5 million asking price is probably still too high, but . . . We have four kids, one of whom is in college. I am in patent law, but am not quite ready to check out the jobs quite yet. I'm just planning for the near future.
Thanks again

Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losnek View Post
Charles and SurekRZA, thanks for the responses.

Don't the suburbs around there have live theater and concerts?
Not much on a large scale close by. (The Civic Arts Plaza in Thousand Oaks is very good and close by.) Most stuff to see is a drive in traffic. You just can't "drive out to see" a concert, a play, a ball game, even a visit to the beach etc. without a major traffic hassle.

Couldn't take it anymore so I moved.

Last edited by Charles; 01-11-2008 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles