Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 01:47 PM

133 posts, read 301,140 times

Advertisements

Sorry in advanced, I have so many questions.

Do you know anyone personally who has worked within the LA Fashion scene?
Where do all the creative folks hang around?
What are some good LA fabric stores?
What are the most affordable and safe neighborhoods?
Is it weird to juggle multiple jobs at the same time in this area?
For those who came here without friends or family, how did you go about meeting people and making new friends?

I live in the DC and I want to move to LA. I'm 24, single and childless. I like my area but I want a change of pace. I went to school for Fashion Merchandising. I'm also a certified ESL instructor and I'm working on an IT certification. I'm currently employed at a non-profit here. I also have a side hustle as a seamstress and I sometimes make jewelry or work with fiber arts(crochet/knitting). I interned at a clothing line back in the day and I also worked/volunteered as a backstage assistant for DC and NY fashion week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 PM

559 posts, read 1,378,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoMariaUrameshi View Post

Sorry in advanced, I have so many questions.

Do you know anyone personally who has worked within the LA Fashion scene?

I don't know anything about fashion.

Where do all the creative folks hang around?

Snide answer is where they can afford rent. I think it depends on the type of creative art. LA tends toward the decentralized but there is the NoHo (North Hollywood) Arts District and the Arts District in DTLA, just east of Little Tokyo. However, gentrification is supposedly pricing out the starving artists so in the future, it might be an Arts District in name only. There is the Brewery artist colony in the northern edge of DTLA. Basically, folks (even artists) live all over the place, finding a place which is a compromise of proximity to work + amenities, budget, safety tolerance, etc.

What are some good LA fabric stores?

LA Fashion District is the center of the LA fashion industry. There are entire blocks of small shops with bolts of fabric displayed on the sidewalk. This is a very bustling but gritty area of DTLA and it clears out after business hours. During the day it is a fascinating place to explore. There are fabric and yarn shops scattered all over the metro but the Fashion District is the center.

Looks like LA Fashion Week is happening in the next week or two.

What are the most affordable and safe neighborhoods?

What is your budget? Safety is somewhat dependent on your level of comfort. L.A. Crime Maps - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times is a crime database for LA. Check it to get an idea for your neighborhood of interest. In general, gangbangers don't mess with people who don't mess with them, and you can be a target of crime in even the "nicest" areas.

Is it weird to juggle multiple jobs at the same time in this area?

I doubt it; most people have one job but many folks juggle; it's not unusual.

For those who came here without friends or family, how did you go about meeting people and making new friends?

I was born and raised here but meetup.com is often mentioned. Work and school are probably the primary way to make friends, followed by hobbies.

I live in the DC and I want to move to LA. I'm 24, single and childless. I like my area but I want a change of pace. I went to school for Fashion Merchandising. I'm also a certified ESL instructor and I'm working on an IT certification. I'm currently employed at a non-profit here. I also have a side hustle as a seamstress and I sometimes make jewelry or work with fiber arts(crochet/knitting). I interned at a clothing line back in the day and I also worked/volunteered as a backstage assistant for DC and NY fashion week.
Given your interests, I think DTLA is the best place for you. You can live there but it's relatively expensive now.

Other places with good connectivity to DTLA include:

- Koreatown is just west of DTLA and it's affordable and accessible via the Purple Line subway.
- Hollywood/East Hollywood has tons to do and the Red Line subway goes to DTLA and the Valley.
- The City of Long Beach has a lot of artists and the Blue Line light rail goes to DTLA.
- Pasadena is nice and connected to DTLA via the Gold Line light rail line.
- Culver City/Palms/West LA are relatively affordable areas on the coveted Westside and the Expo light rail line takes you to DTLA.

There are also many Metro Rapid buses which can take you Downtown so rail isn't the only way to ride.

I don't know anything about ESL but you might want to see if your certificate is transferable to CA.

Will you have a car or will you have to be near a public transportation node?

Are you open to living with roommates?

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:59 PM

133 posts, read 301,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Given your interests, I think DTLA is the best place for you. You can live there but it's relatively expensive now.

Other places with good connectivity to DTLA include:

- Koreatown is just west of DTLA and it's affordable and accessible via the Purple Line subway.
- Hollywood/East Hollywood has tons to do and the Red Line subway goes to DTLA and the Valley.
- The City of Long Beach has a lot of artists and the Blue Line light rail goes to DTLA.
- Pasadena is nice and connected to DTLA via the Gold Line light rail line.
- Culver City/Palms/West LA are relatively affordable areas on the coveted Westside and the Expo light rail line takes you to DTLA.

There are also many Metro Rapid buses which can take you Downtown so rail isn't the only way to ride.

I don't know anything about ESL but you might want to see if your certificate is transferable to CA.

Will you have a car or will you have to be near a public transportation node?

Are you open to living with roommates?

Good luck.
Thanks For Your Input! I think I'm going to consider the Ktown area. It's more in my range(under $1,900) and it seems like many of the apartments have utilities included in the rent. I would prefer to live in a one bedroom alone.

I will be driving entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles