Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,466 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a huge fan of Los Angeles and California in general and I'm after suggestions for accommodation in Los Angeles for my Honeymoon in September of this year.

A friend of mine for many years has lived in Sherman Oaks for over 10 years and I've spent several amazing holidays in Los Angeles over the years ( I live in the UK) but my Fiance has never been to the USA so we are planning a 2 week honeymoon that takes in a variety of experiences;-

We are flying into Vegas for 3 nights, then flying into San Francisco for 4 nights, then driving to Monterey for one night and then finally onto Los Angeles for 4 nights before finally flying home to the UK.

Accommodation is already sorted for Vegas, San Francisco and Monterey but i'm not sure what's best for the LA leg of the trip. Historically I have always stayed in the Valley but a key part of this break is doing fun Tourist-based things that my fiance will enjoy as a first time visitor.
We will have a car for the duration of our time in LA so we don't need to be particularly close to daytime activities such as the beach, Getty Center, Griffith Park, etc as i'm happy to drive. We would like to stay close to night-time activities such as restaurants, bars/nightclubs, etc as we will likely be drinking (it is our honeymoon after all!) so don't want to spend hours on public transport when going out in the evening.

Currently Hollywood is top of the list as the preferred location due to the proximity of evening entertainment and have been looking at a few nice private rental apartments on the Air BnB as this seems like a nicer option that a general hotel room. The main reason for considering renting someones personal apartment is that it's cheaper than the equivalent hotel, it often comes with free parking, and we like the idea of having a 'Home' in LA for a few days.

We've seen 2 apartments that are both in a building close to the intersection of Hollywood Blvd and North La Brea Avenue which look particularly appealing but i'm slightly worried that they could be a little too far from Hollywood/Highland which seems to be the epi-center of 'Hollywood' from an activity point of view.

However we are happy to consider other areas in Hollywood (Sunset Blvd?) or even some-where completely different as long as the near-by area will offer plenty of evening entertainment.

Apologies for the long first post and thanks if you have made it this far!! I welcome any comments and advice that you think would be valuable.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 06:41 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph98 View Post

We've seen 2 apartments that are both in a building close to the intersection of Hollywood Blvd and North La Brea Avenue which look particularly appealing but i'm slightly worried that they could be a little too far from Hollywood/Highland which seems to be the epi-center of 'Hollywood' from an activity point of view.

However we are happy to consider other areas in Hollywood (Sunset Blvd?) or even some-where completely different as long as the near-by area will offer plenty of evening entertainment.
Hollywood and La Brea is within easy walking distance of Hollywood and Highland.

Hollywood and Highland is the epicenter of Hollywood for the typical "tourist" destinations like the Chinese Theater, etc. But the "nightlife" center of Hollywood is closer to Hollywood and Vine and Hollywood and Cahuenga Blvd. In addition, there is nightlife along the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood. But you'll be close enough if you go with the Hollywood/La Brea location.

That said, nothing wrong with the location you found as there are quite a few residential buildings near La Brea/Hollywood.

Have fun on your honeymoon. I'd also mention that downtown LA is probably the best spot in LA these days for nightlife. You might want to check that out one of the nights you are in town.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:57 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Don't know your dates or your budget but,

May I recommend you look at this rental:

Two Bedroom House in Hollywood near Sunset &... - VRBO

It is located on a nice side street a few blocks from Sunset and Vine near the Arclight Theater and Amoeba Music (Two nice sites to visit). Also near quite a few nice restaurants. It is a few minutes walk to the intersection of Hollywood and Vine, the beginning of the Walk of Fame, and the Hollywood and Vine Metro Station which is a few minutes ride to the Hollywood and Highland stop.

If you have a car you are centrally located to visit Griffith Park, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Burbank, and Pasadena. Beverly Hills, Santa Monica and Malibu are a little further away but not unreasonable with an early start to your day.

The house is an authentic restored Craftsman giving you the true Old Hollywood experience.

We have stayed in the main house and the bungalow in the back (smaller and cheaper) and enjoyed both immensely.

Please feel free to Direct Message with any other questions.

I have another great recommendation in West Hollywood if you are interested.

Congratulations and Good Luck!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:50 PM

415 posts, read 606,739 times
We had our honeymoon in Los Angeles and had a great time. I suggest Santa monica along the beach or Hollywood near the action. We stayed in west Hollywood for ours.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:44 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies so far - I am looking at other possibilities further along Hollywood closer to vine now.

Feel free to offer any other ideas you might have

Old 03-17-2015, 06:09 AM

274 posts, read 1,217,725 times
I would find a cabin up in Topanga canyon...really romantic. Close to beach and you could be looking into verdant canyon greenery....then just drive in for tourist stuff.
Here are two cafes that you should visit if on honeymoon....dreamy magical places.
The inn of the seventh happiness
Malibu cafe
Not expensive but just so memorable for the settings.
Happy honeymoon))

Old 03-17-2015, 06:10 AM

274 posts, read 1,217,725 times
I just think Hollywood unless you go higher up is a bit smelly, hot and dirty for a good experience....

Old 03-17-2015, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the advice Londonteacher and I agree that there are other areas that would make a better destination for a conventional honeymoon. However the LA 'leg' of our Honeymoon is more about fun and excitement so i'd rather be closer to the action and nightlife.

What does anyone think of the Sunset / N Fairfax Ave area compared to the area around Hollywood Blvd / Vine?

I can get great accommodation in both areas but I don't know which one is better?

Many thanks :-)

Old 03-17-2015, 05:05 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
I would go to the West Hollywood area. Look at boutique hotels like the Chamberlain, Le Parc Suite, Petit Ermitage, Le Montrose and the Grafton.

If you want an AirBnB type place, I still favor West Hollywood and the closer to Sunset you can be the better.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
I'd stay a couple of nights in downtown. Lots of new nightlife down there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles