Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:39 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times

Advertisements

Wonder if you have absolutely no money, how will you move to Los Angeles. It is thousands of miles.

And I don't see LA being more attractive for a homeless penniless person than Boston. It is funny with no money and no job you are picky about where to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 11:49 AM

12 posts, read 12,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
From having been raised in Orange County, lived in Santa Monica and worked in L.A. I'd say bring a tent or be prepared to live in your car...
I went through a divorce after 25 years at age 48 and lost everything so I don't envy you. My saving grace was that I had a good job and was able to rebuild.
After reading much advice on my thread, I'd like to thank those who responded, and I want to reformulate my question in the hope to get a more focused advice.

Taking into account your LA life experience, had you ended up within the rectangle (Los Angeles / LongBeach / RanchoPalosVerdes / SantaMonica) - as a homeless person, no car/tent, no job, no money - where would you have chosen to stay at nights and why? Are there any emergency/homeless shelters within that area, which allow to stay during nights for at least a few weeks maybe months, which are comparably safe, and which feed and provide basic services?

I think you understand the underlying concern. LA county's state officials know there are tons of homeless, and they are coming and coming so the only way to alleviate the burden is to help those interested to end their homelessness find a job in the hope that the latter, in turn, would allow them to make enough money to reverse the process and begin rebuilding their lives. But one can't look for a job if he/she lives in car or tent (I mean there is an obvious need to shave, take showers, take care of ones clothing, and much more) - at least a somewhat decent appearance is required to get in front of people during job search, and in general to be in public places among other people.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Here are some options: ...

3. Give up on the beach life unless you plan on being homeless and sleeping outside the Santa Monica pier with the rest of them. The westside caters to the most expensive places to live in California and a person without a job, car, savings, or anything won't be able to afford it.
After reading much advice on my thread, I'd like to thank those who responded, and I want to reformulate my question in the hope to get a more focused advice.

Bpeeps, I agree that camping and job search can't be performed concurrently. Taking into account your LA life experience, had you ended up within the rectangle (Los Angeles / LongBeach / RanchoPalosVerdes / SantaMonica) - as a homeless person, no car/tent, no job, no money - where would you have chosen to stay at nights and why? Are there any emergency/homeless shelters within that area, which allow to stay during nights for at least a few weeks maybe months, which are comparably safe, and which feed and provide basic services?

I think you understand the underlying concern. LA county's state officials know there are tons of homeless, and they are coming and coming so the only way to alleviate the burden is to help those interested to end their homelessness find a job in the hope that the latter, in turn, would allow them to make enough money to reverse the process and begin rebuilding their lives. But one can't look for a job if he/she lives in car or tent (I mean there is an obvious need to shave, take showers, take care of ones clothing, and much more) - at least a somewhat decent appearance is required to get in front of people during job search, and in general to be in public places among other people.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Please stay in Boston. We don't need any more homeless people in Los Angeles.

Taking into account your LA life experience, had you ended up within the rectangle (Los Angeles / LongBeach / RanchoPalosVerdes / SantaMonica) - as a homeless person, no car/tent, no job, no money - where would you have chosen to stay at nights and why? Are there any emergency/homeless shelters within that area, which allow to stay during nights for at least a few weeks maybe months, which are comparably safe, and which feed and provide basic services?

Old 03-11-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Have no idea if this is a fake post, but let's say it's real.

That said, if you are dead set on moving even with all the warnings, I would suggest finding an apartment in need of an onsite manager. Sometimes people get free/reduced rent in exchange for doing such jobs. But line up this gig *before* you move here.

Sydlee, taking into account your LA life experience, could you give me a few useful thoughts on the following scenario? Had you ended up within the rectangle (Los Angeles / LongBeach / RanchoPalosVerdes/ SantaMonica) - as a homeless person, no car/tent, no job, no money - where would you have chosen to stay at nights and why? Are there any emergency/homeless shelters within that area, which allow to stay during nights for at least a few weeks maybe months, which are comparably safe, and which feed and provide basic services?

Old 03-11-2015, 05:17 PM

555 posts, read 804,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAl View Post

Sydlee, taking into account your LA life experience, could you give me a few useful thoughts on the following scenario? Had you ended up within the rectangle (Los Angeles / LongBeach / RanchoPalosVerdes/ SantaMonica) - as a homeless person, no car/tent, no job, no money - where would you have chosen to stay at nights and why? Are there any emergency/homeless shelters within that area, which allow to stay during nights for at least a few weeks maybe months, which are comparably safe, and which feed and provide basic services?

Wait a second. You a screenwriter looking for material? I don't want to do your work for you. Best of luck on your creative endeavor.

Last edited by sydlee; 03-11-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 11:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:

You can't just pitch a tent on the beach, what are you thinking? Most Cities have anti-camping ordinances to avoid people doing just what you are talking about. If you have a car or a van, you might be able to get by if you are smart enough to find out where to park it without getting rousted by cops every few hours. There are no resources that are going to give you a room, food and a job. If there were places like that they would be available to local residents not someone who is on a grand adventure from Boston.

If this is something you really want to do, then get a job in Boston, save your money buy a van and drive to the West Coast. Find safe places to park so you can sleep, get a gym membership so you can shower and find a job or two jobs as soon as possible.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
la county's state officials know there are tons of homeless, and they are coming and coming so the only way to alleviate the burden is to help those interested to end their homelessness find a job in the hope that the latter, in turn, would allow them to make enough money to reverse the process and begin rebuilding their lives.
Haha!

Old 03-14-2015, 02:11 PM

35 posts, read 60,229 times
Its not wise to move here without a job lined up in my opinion. Unless you have some very highly desired marketable skills, the job market isn't that great right now, and you could be unemployed for many months. I also think it's a younger town and most people move out of the region after they get married in their early 30s. I personally don't think its a good transition for you, having lived here for a long while. What's wrong with Boston? I heard its a nice town. You may prefer some southern coastal states much more than LA.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:09 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
The problem is that, having gone through the divorce, I have become completely insolvent, i.e. no any savings, bad credit preventing from borrowing, and no people to ask for accommodation. So I will come to LA with no money at all, i.e. won't be able to stay at motel or rent/co-rent anything.

REALITY CHECK!

You need to earn at least 3k per month (after taxes) to live in Los Angeles. That's the BARE MINIMUM I can recommend (no fun money, only rent, utilities, and food). And you will only SUBSIST with the bare minimum.

If you can't pull that kind of money, if you don't have a car, then you don't come.

If you do come with nothing this is your future lifestyle. That's SKID ROW!

Wikipedia: Skid_Row,_Los_Angeles

Period!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles