Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:06 PM

7 posts, read 20,026 times

Advertisements

I think it is great that they are finally building up instead of out. The recent fires that destroyed homes of people who didn't want to live close to neighbors show the price one pays here for privacy. We live in a densely urban area with no dry brush for miles around...lots of well tended yards with lush greenery. I moved to my 700 square foot condo near the beach from a large 3 story home in Portland, Oregon four years ago and have risen to the challenge to make the smaller space work...and it has! As an artist/designer, I especially love the fact that I know where everything is and don't have to spend much time cleaning so I can walk along the beach for inspiration and then spend time being creative. My neighbors are friendly enough in passing to the parking garage or on the elevator but everyone enjoys their own life and feels no need for schmoozing back and forth. It works really well. My SO and I love our life here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 05:13 PM

7 posts, read 20,026 times
I must ad to my above post that I would love nothing more than to see builders put their efforts into developing "shopkeeper living spaces" (such as was done in years past in large urban areas).... where people such as myself (an artist) could run a business from the lower or front level of their own loft type home in a well traveled retail neighborhood. For myself, the worst life would be (like many Californians) spending hours commuting to a job just to be able to afford to live in a huge home in the suburbs. I love my classic beemer but don't want to wear it out sitting at a dead stop on the 405!!!

Old 01-12-2008, 05:17 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
CA is losing White non Hispanic population, meaning all population growth comes from immigration and more births than deaths.

Cost of living is much cheaper is less populated states like Neveda, North Carolina, etc

Old 01-12-2008, 05:20 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,552 times
A good portion of the development in downtown Los Angeles is work/live space. In addition to the work space in the homes, nearly all developments include retail on the first floor or two, so there's always room for new shops, stores, galleries, etc...

Also, California isn't necessarily losing it's "white" population. As it always has in LA's past, ethnic groups are constantly on the move. A lot of the "white" population is moving to southern Orange County, the Inland Empire, San Diego, etc... And yes of course some are moving away, but I wouldn't say more "white" people than any other race.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:25 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,377 times
Unfortunately, those workspace homes demand a pretty good premium over normal places. So anything you think you might have saved in commuting, etc., will be spent in higher rent. You'll have more time though.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
CA is losing White non Hispanic population,
Add educated, and solidly middle class: True Stakeholders. Ask the California Franchise Tax Board.

Stakeholders are leaving. This is more important than you think to civic infrastructure: the poor don't pay enough taxes to support nice parks, civic amenities, etc...the rich own their own or go private...the middle class and their tax dollars are fleeing; the result is decaying infrastructure and amenities.
"But the people who are leaving the state tend to be more experienced and have higher incomes than those who are left behind, said demographer Johnson. Their contributions to the state's tax base won't be quickly replaced by the low-paid immigrants crossing the border or the new crop of babies in California's maternity wards.

The domestic inflow of workers coming from other states used to supply a healthy middle-class buffer between rich and poor."
from

California exodus has far-ranging implications | The San Diego Union-Tribune

You can include this poster in that group.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 PM

Arrow Wow

Charles, that was an incredibly interesting story. Thank you for posting it, you always have very interesting material!!! It's sad to read and see happening, but I still love my So Cal, I can only hope for some kind of turnaround, though for an area so massive it will take years.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:09 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,704 times
Many of the immigrants are becoming middle class.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:29 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
California's Population Growth has been slowing down,and I think Texas has been growing faster in Numeric Growth for the past year or two.

I don't see this as a danger to California at all,but this is what the state needs so our Infrastructure among other things can catch up.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
California's Population Growth has been slowing down,and I think Texas has been growing faster in Numeric Growth for the past year or two.

I don't see this as a danger to California at all,but this is what the state needs so our Infrastructure among other things can catch up.
Good point, and that's what the cities are definitely doing now. Now if they could just get us out of the #1 spot for streets that are in need of repair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles