Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 PM

285 posts, read 301,446 times

Advertisements

So here i am again with another thread about relocation

I've narrowed down my renting options to these two locations:

805 West Knoll Drive in West Hollywood
or
1636 N Vista Street in Hollywood

Right now I'm leaning more towards WeHo since I'm a young gay guy who's very outdoorsy and into walking and biking so the walkability of WeHo is huge draw to me.
My concern about WeHo, as surprising as it may sound is that it might be a little too gay for my taste.
Although I'm gay I live a very "straight" lifestyle, meaning I'm not into the mainstream gay culture at all. I love sports, love skateboarding, longboarding, exercising and I'm overall pretty chill and laid back. I'm not at all into flashing my newest belongings, not into following the newest trends in fashion or discussing futile matters like katy perry's newest boyfriend on a daily basis (I know that's a gross generalization but I'm sure you guys will get what I'm trying to say)
The point is I'm worried I might stand out if I choose to live in WeHo and based on my lifestyle I'm not sure if it's the best option for me.
I do love the city of WeHo though cause of it's walkability andparty scene, so I don't know...

The other option is the address in Hollywood which I liked a lot but I'm not overall sure about the safety and calmness of that area.
From what I've seen it does seem like a quiet area but given that that adress is so close to the walk of fame/chinese theater etc... i'm wondering how noisy, busy and safe that area really is...
Also, is that a walkable area? By walkable I mean within walking distance to everyday needs (grocery stores, caffes, restaurants, drugstores, gym...) and not the walk of fame

What of these options would be the best for me in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:21 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Both are extremely walkable in all parts. Both have every amenity you need close by.

West Hollywood is more upscale. It's very gay, especially around Santa Monica Blvd form Robertson to Crescent Heights.

Hollywood is safe but still gritty and sketchy in certain parts. Not particularly dangerous but just a little off.

Just because you live in West Hollywood doesn't mean you have to get immersed into a "gay" lifestyle. Plenty of gay people live there that don't go out to the clubs and don't follow pop culture.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times
The area of Hollywood where the address is. Is safe. The sketchy parts of Hollywood are east of LA Brea and south of Sunset.

But West Hollywood is a bit more upscale and becoming Beverly Hills east. The difference between Santa Monica blvd on both sides of LA Brea are quite noticeable..

Old 03-11-2015, 09:16 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times
West Hollywood and it is not even close! Done.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,180 times
If you can deal with tourists, street closures, loudness, aggressive panhandling, a gritty feel, then Hollywood is for you.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:57 AM

280 posts, read 325,756 times
Straight mom here - me and my teenage daughter and my boyfriend stay in great hotel in WeHo when we visit the area every year...it's a great area, period.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Obviously more real estate purchasing / renting power in HW than in WHW. Of course a number of other trade offs to consider.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:53 PM

64 posts, read 99,189 times
West Hollywood is great if you have money and tolerance!

Hollywood is not the best place to live in LA. Only if you are going to work in Paramount Pictures, Hollywood cemetery, some record labels, or just on Hollywood Blvd. East Hollywood is interesting, if you are armenian, but actually this is just a ghetto.

If you like Hollywood — go Las Vegas.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:42 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubzar View Post
West Hollywood is great if you have money and tolerance!

Hollywood is not the best place to live in LA. Only if you are going to work in Paramount Pictures, Hollywood cemetery, some record labels, or just on Hollywood Blvd. East Hollywood is interesting, if you are armenian, but actually this is just a ghetto.

If you like Hollywood — go Las Vegas.
You don't need to be rich to live in West Hollywood.

Only 40% of WeHo is gay, and they're very much concentrated along SM Blvd.

East Hollywood is not a ghetto and also comprises of many Thai, Latinos, and whites.

Hollywood is pretty central to most parts of Los Angeles, you don't need to confine yourself to living/working there.

-------------

Edit: Now that I've actually read your post, pick WeHo if you can afford it. That Hollywood address is actually in the best part of Hollywood west of LaBrea and literally so close to West Hollywood, there's barely a difference. So that address would be fine too and presumably a bit cheaper. The WeHo address is basically about a block away from where I live.

Last edited by bpeeps; 03-12-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 03:17 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
That is definitely one of the best parts of Hollywood to be in. It's the most upscale other than maybe Franklin Village and the bits of East Hollywood that border Los Feliz. Biggest issue to me is that it is on the west side of the "great wall of Hollywood / Highland," which, due to the density of pedestrians, adds about 15 minutes walking time to any trip east of Highland. However to the west of that part of Hollywood are all those shops along Sunset / Guitar Row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles