Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:59 AM

496 posts, read 574,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So CC, MDR, PDR, Del Rey/Playa Vista, and Westchester aren't part of the westside? (I'd consider Ladera part of the west side, too.)

The south side is LAX. Washington as the south side is absurd.

As for western WeHo, it's not that culturally different from Beverly Hills.
Westside - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

the LA times actually does not consider westchester as the westside because it's too south i presume. but Ladera Heights is considered the westside by the LA times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 PM

73 posts, read 119,133 times
I lived all over Los Angeles, and I really never seen the Westside as being hip, nor the Valley. West Hollywood is very hip, Studio City is also hip, but to say that the entire Valley or Westside is hipper than the other would be false. I get what you're trying to say tho, Ventura Blvd. is becoming the new hotspot in town, lot's of new trendy eateries and bars opening. The valley and the Westside are both great cool regions of LA, defintely can't go wrong with either one. Whether it be a night out on the town on Ventura Blvd, or Sunset Blvd. It calls for a good time.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Thought this Eater LA headline was interesting from today

"Quickly Hip-ifying Sherman Oaks Lands a Classy Cheese and Charcuterie Shop"

Quickly Hip-ifying Sherman Oaks Lands a Classy Cheese and Charcuterie Shop - Eater LA

Old 04-06-2015, 05:52 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngcorporate View Post
I lived all over Los Angeles, and I really never seen the Westside as being hip, nor the Valley. West Hollywood is very hip, Studio City is also hip, but to say that the entire Valley or Westside is hipper than the other would be false. I get what you're trying to say tho, Ventura Blvd. is becoming the new hotspot in town, lot's of new trendy eateries and bars opening. The valley and the Westside are both great cool regions of LA, defintely can't go wrong with either one. Whether it be a night out on the town on Ventura Blvd, or Sunset Blvd. It calls for a good time.
Venice, particularly Abbot Kinney, is about as hip as it gets. Santa Monica by Main Street and the 3rd st promenade is increasingly hip. Culver City has a smidgen of hipness. But the rest, i.e. Palisades, Bel Air, West LA, Westwood, Beverly Hills, Palms, Century City - not so hip.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:57 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times
I'm not sure about hipness but in the valley I can find what I want to eat and where I want to shop without going over the hill ever. I'm not a bar person.

In the valley I can even see independent movies.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:00 PM

Well the valley is huge of course . There are some good bars too, I like that the valley bars are more 'under the radar' and there are some spots that would either never last on the westside or silverlake/echo park areas or would of been totally redone as 'hipster bars' .

Also lots of new spots opening on Ventura

Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 PM

317 posts, read 403,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Sorry dude, hope my post didn't cause you to do a spit-take with your Starbuck's coffee all over the interior of your Mini Cooper.
Mini coopers dont have dual clutch transmissions buddy.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:22 AM

Speaking of Valley hipness...

I was pretty surprised to find that the former private chef of Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson and other celebrities has opened an upscale type pizza place...not in Studio City on Ventura Blvd...but in Reseda.

Flame Pizzeria | Delicious Pizzeria in Reseda, CA

If you look at the pics on yelp it looks more like a place you would find in DTLA or some other trendy area.

Flame Pizzeria - Pizza - Los Angeles, CA - Yelp

I think that this area along with Lake Balboa and Canoga park will change quite a bit pretty soon.
I think theres 'under the radar' gentrification that a lot of people don't pay attention to because it's happening in the valley.
The mainstream focus these days is definitely more on the neighborhoods closer to Downtown L.A , like Highland Park,Echo Park, Boyle Heights.

If you think about it though, while Reseda has been considered 'low income' , the homes there aren't that cheap these days and very close by 'South of Ventura blvd' areas and in other areas the homes go for well over $1million and there is a lot of wealth in the area.
Of course there are a lot of lower income apartment renters in Reseda , versus some other areas of the valley like Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Woodland Hills ,etc.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:41 PM

73 posts, read 119,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Speaking of Valley hipness...

I was pretty surprised to find that the former private chef of Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson and other celebrities has opened an upscale type pizza place...not in Studio City on Ventura Blvd...but in Reseda.

Flame Pizzeria | Delicious Pizzeria in Reseda, CA

If you look at the pics on yelp it looks more like a place you would find in DTLA or some other trendy area.

Flame Pizzeria - Pizza - Los Angeles, CA - Yelp

I think that this area along with Lake Balboa and Canoga park will change quite a bit pretty soon.
I think theres 'under the radar' gentrification that a lot of people don't pay attention to because it's happening in the valley.
The mainstream focus these days is definitely more on the neighborhoods closer to Downtown L.A , like Highland Park,Echo Park, Boyle Heights.

If you think about it though, while Reseda has been considered 'low income' , the homes there aren't that cheap these days and very close by 'South of Ventura blvd' areas and in other areas the homes go for well over $1million and there is a lot of wealth in the area.
Of course there are a lot of lower income apartment renters in Reseda , versus some other areas of the valley like Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Woodland Hills ,etc.
I'lol have to try out his pizzeria, and I don't think it's under the radar gentrification, Reseda and canoga park aren't as bad as Highland park, Echo park, Boyle heights, so I think the gentrification is definitely real in those areas. Reseda and canoga park have very mixed demographics but I can see it becoming a more desirable place in the future.

Last edited by Youngcorporate; 05-06-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 12:57 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngcorporate View Post
I'lol have to try out his pizzeria, and I don't think it's under the radar gentrification, Reseda and canoga park aren't as bad as Highland park, Echo park, Boyle heights, so I think the gentrification is defiantly real in those areas. Reseda and canoga park have very mixed demographics but I can see it become a more describable place in the future.
How would you describe them in the future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles