Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:56 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
It means how many subcategories that such a small amount of the population has. Bears, cubs, twinks, otters, pig, etc. there's more drinking, more drugs (especially tina),
That's a different issue altogether. I've omitted the non stupid parts of your comment in quote.

I think the stats are something like 25% of gays abuse alcohol compared to 10% of the general population. And there's going to be a many who just drink to drink and use drugs because they like it with no other attenuating circumstances. However...

When gay bars and clubs emerged as the only social safe spaces gays had from the daily barrage of discrimination, lack of education, and stigma (much like that in this post), it's no wonder why many turn to drugs and alcohol abuse to alleviate stress from their daily life. Couple that with the lack of cultural competency by the healthcare system discouraging gays from feeling comfortable enough to even tell their doctor they're gay, let alone to seek treatment for anything related to it, drug abuse etc.

Not to mention they're a pretty easy target by big tobacco and alcohol companies that only serve to exploit the connection that many gays have to bars and clubs. A place where they don't have to deal with the BS they experience at work, in life, on forums like these, judgement by people like yourself. There's a lot of adversity to win out against.

Yes, you are correct in what you've said. But incorrect in response to what I've said. What it comes down to is this. Most still function. Most still go to work. Most still pay taxes. This group of gays on drugs, having promiscuous sex, drinking at clubs is still the minority, much in contrast to what you think (aka stats are really easy to google).

Do gays have their own issues created by a stigmatized and culturally insensitive society, perpetuated by everyone including themselves. Absolutely. They fight for equal treatment, but then inflict that same inequality on themselves through labels like twinks or bears and discrimination when you don't fit the bill. They fight for inequality and then discriminate against anyone who isn't white or white looking (latin), masculine, cis-gendered, etc. This hardly makes their lifestyle alternative. Oh crap, he went to the gym too much and cares about the way he dresses. How GAY and ALTERNATIVE and GAAY.

I don't consider a punk goth with a mohawk any more alternative of a lifestyle just because he goes to screamo concerts, likes to get high on shrooms, and has more piercing holes in him than the ones in your argument. 60 years ago, interracial couples were pretty alternative too. I think we know better know (well most of us do). Hopefully we can have some progress and understanding in another 60. Carry on with your life, LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 02:07 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
It means how many subcategories that such a small amount of the population has. Bears, cubs, twinks, otters, pig, etc.
that's not a lifestyle. that's more of physical characteristics - whatever the subcategories the gays have in these, straight people also do, don't they? Some women prefer big muscular hunks and some prefer slim guys with minimum body hair. People all have personal preference.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:58 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
I don't know, bpeeps. The straight world doesn't have the problems the gays do. Constant unsafe sex often anonymous and in groups, a reliance on a drug to avoid getting one of the world's deadlist disease (prep), bathhouses, pnp crystal meth (when straights do meth, it's hillbillies in trailers), severe alcoholism, designer drugs like G and special K, a tough time committing to monogamy, an obsession with body image, constant judging of each other.

Since I live in west hollywood surrounded by gay men 24/7 I know what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying any of it is "bad" but it does show that gays have an alternative lifestyle.

Go to an affluent straight area like santa monica and everyone's pretty chill and no drama.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:37 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
I don't know, bpeeps. The straight world doesn't have the problems the gays do. Constant unsafe sex often anonymous and in groups, a reliance on a drug to avoid getting one of the world's deadlist disease (prep), bathhouses, pnp crystal meth (when straights do meth, it's hillbillies in trailers), severe alcoholism, designer drugs like G and special K, a tough time committing to monogamy, an obsession with body image, constant judging of each other.

Since I live in west hollywood surrounded by gay men 24/7 I know what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying any of it is "bad" but it does show that gays have an alternative lifestyle.

Go to an affluent straight area like santa monica and everyone's pretty chill and no drama.
Oh, and West Hollywood party type gays are representative of all gays?

Old 03-16-2015, 03:46 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
If only!!

Old 03-16-2015, 04:32 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,409 times
Quote:
Long answer:

Since I am gay, I know what I'm talking about because I live it.

Once again, you're making broad generalizations about a group you live near and have never been a part of (I think many regular CD members will attest to how often you generalize about every subject). When someone gives you actual statistics and real life experience, you shrug it off because you heard something while walking past a gay bar.

The majority of the "problems" you list above are not exclusive to the gay community. And the ones that are, I already gave you a viable explanation for. If you have any doubt or actually want to learn about it (you don't, you just want to judge and be right) there is plenty of information out there on why drugs and alcohol is higher in the gay community. Educate yourself on the why if you actually care.

Body image issues are perpetuated more by misogynistic, straight men against women than any other group. That has been the case since the dawn of time and will only continue to be. The divorce rate among straight couples remains high and infidelity is one of the leading causes of divorce. The traditional ideal of the white picket fence, two kids, monogamous marriage is being deconstructed by straight people themselves.

I already explained why drugs are targeted towards gays. I already touched on the inequality within the gay community. And I've already linked you to reports on Truvada in the past. What you're speaking to is a small minority within the gay community not representative of the majority of people. Your numbers are extremely inflated.

Anecdotally, I can't name one gay friend who is this fanatical stereotype you always bring up. None of my friends have sex in bathhouses, have sex in groups, are addicted to drugs like meth or the other one you're always bringing up.

Gays are everywhere in LA, not just WeHo. Your mention of Santa Monica bears zero weight.

There are some topics you are extremely knowledgeable on, this is not one of them. Your constant judgement of the gay community is beginning to sound problematic. I'm not going to throw the H word out because I don't believe that yet, what I do believe is that you are very under educated and ignorant on much of the issues you speak of here. You're a very traditional, set in your ways type of person. And only you can change that.

Edit: Short Answer:

What a gay man does in his spare time is of no concern to you. It doesn't affect you whatsoever. He goes to work just like you, he sits in traffic just like you. It's so weird how straight people are obsessed with gay sex. Nobody questions what you do in bed and nobody cares. There's a lot more to us than just who we have sex with. If you want to get to know me, ask about my favorite sports team, what video game I'm playing, not who I'm having sex with and how many people. And that is ultimately why "alternative lifestyle" is a sham. We are people, we function just like you and don't deserve to be judged for how we have sex. That's the very definition of homophobia. Oops, I used it.

Last edited by bpeeps; 03-16-2015 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Long answer:

Since I am gay, I know what I'm talking about because I live it.

Once again, you're making broad generalizations about a group you live near and have never been a part of (I think many regular CD members will attest to how often you generalize about every subject). When someone gives you actual statistics and real life experience, you shrug it off because you heard something while walking past a gay bar.

The majority of the "problems" you list above are not exclusive to the gay community. And the ones that are, I already gave you a viable explanation for. If you have any doubt or actually want to learn about it (you don't, you just want to judge and be right) there is plenty of information out there on why drugs and alcohol is higher in the gay community. Educate yourself on the why if you actually care.

Body image issues are perpetuated more by misogynistic, straight men against women than any other group. That has been the case since the dawn of time and will only continue to be. The divorce rate among straight couples remains high and infidelity is one of the leading causes of divorce. The traditional ideal of the white picket fence, two kids, monogamous marriage is being deconstructed by straight people themselves.

I already explained why drugs are targeted towards gays. I already touched on the inequality within the gay community. And I've already linked you to reports on Truvada in the past. What you're speaking to is a small minority within the gay community not representative of the majority of people. Your numbers are extremely inflated.

Anecdotally, I can't name one gay friend who is this fanatical stereotype you always bring up. None of my friends have sex in bathhouses, have sex in groups, are addicted to drugs like meth or the other one you're always bringing up.

Gays are everywhere in LA, not just WeHo. Your mention of Santa Monica bears zero weight.

There are some topics you are extremely knowledgeable on, this is not one of them. Your constant judgement of the gay community is beginning to sound problematic. I'm not going to throw the H word out because I don't believe that yet, what I do believe is that you are very under educated and ignorant on much of the issues you speak of here. You're a very traditional, set in your ways type of person. And only you can change that.

Edit: Short Answer:

What a gay man does in his spare time is of no concern to you. It doesn't affect you whatsoever. He goes to work just like you, he sits in traffic just like you. It's so weird how straight people are obsessed with gay sex. Nobody questions what you do in bed and nobody cares. There's a lot more to us than just who we have sex with. If you want to get to know me, ask about my favorite sports team, what video game I'm playing, not who I'm having sex with and how many people. And that is ultimately why "alternative lifestyle is a sham". We are people, we function just like you and don't deserve to be judged for how we have sex. That's the very definition of homophobia. Oops, I used it.
I got nothing against gays. I live WITH a gay guy and have friends who are gay. I go to a gay gym, I shop at gay owned businesses constantly and have been to gay bars.

The fact is, gays are often very damaged people. The lifestyles many, not all, gay men lead are very destructive. Not only to themselves but to those around them. And if you're wondering why some of us are obsessed with bathhouses and bb, it's because the diseases that follow are a public pandemic. HIV of course, and every time we hear about a meningitis outbreak or now a syphilis in the eye that causes blindness, it starts with promiscuous gay sex.

And here's something you could possibly agree with me on: Gay life is far too biased toward Hitler youth looking guys. Even though LA county is a majority color place, the gay bars and media cater to imagery the KKK would approve of. The straight clubs and bars aren't like that. Men of color are well represented and respected there. Black guys are considered super hot in the straight world at least in LA.

THIS is why people say gays live an alternative lifestyle.

So Weho vs Culver City - the posts you are seeing highlight the differences between Weho and Culver City. Culver City is a very laid back, low key place. People go to bars and restaurants to get buzzed, socialize civilized, and then go to bed at a reasonable hour.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:

Meth is a big problem in the straight community as well - not just "hillbillies in trailers".

Old 03-16-2015, 05:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
I got nothing against gays. I live WITH a gay guy and have friends who are gay. I go to a gay gym, I shop at gay owned businesses constantly and have been to gay bars.

The fact is, gays are often very damaged people. The lifestyles many, not all, gay men lead are very destructive. Not only to themselves but to those around them. And if you're wondering why some of us are obsessed with bathhouses and bb, it's because the diseases that follow are a public pandemic. HIV of course, and every time we hear about a meningitis outbreak or now a syphilis in the eye that causes blindness, it starts with promiscuous gay sex.

And here's something you could possibly agree with me on: Gay life is far too biased toward Hitler youth looking guys. Even though LA county is a majority color place, the gay bars and media cater to imagery the KKK would approve of. The straight clubs and bars aren't like that. Men of color are well represented and respected there. Black guys are considered super hot in the straight world at least in LA.

THIS is why people say gays live an alternative lifestyle.

So Weho vs Culver City - the posts you are seeing highlight the differences between Weho and Culver City. Culver City is a very laid back, low key place. People go to bars and restaurants to get buzzed, socialize civilized, and then go to bed at a reasonable hour.
Men of color are represented and respected in the gay community outside of West Hollywood. Try Silver Lake, downtown, the eastside, or the Valley - i.e. anywhere but West Hollywood. What you're talking about is a West Hollywood problem not a gay problem. It's like saying that Palisades and North Santa Monica casual racism are representative of the entire straight world.

There was a link measuring gay population per capita which I cannot find right now, btw, which said that Santa Monica has the 3rd highest gay population per capita of L.A. County municipalities, albeit way behind #1 WeHo and #2 Beverly Hills. Culver City has gays, too - because LGBT people are everywhere.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Men of color are represented and respected in the gay community outside of West Hollywood. Try Silver Lake, downtown, the eastside, or the Valley - i.e. anywhere but West Hollywood. What you're talking about is a West Hollywood problem not a gay problem. It's like saying that Palisades and North Santa Monica casual racism are representative of the entire straight world.

There was a link measuring gay population per capita which I cannot find right now, btw, which said that Santa Monica has the 3rd highest gay population per capita of L.A. County municipalities, albeit way behind #1 WeHo and #2 Beverly Hills. Culver City has gays, too - because LGBT people are everywhere.
IN response to your previous post basically nobody straight in LA does meth. The few that do don't use it to get "partied up" and receive sex from 1-100 guys in one night.

The men of color thing is much more a gay thing than anything, regardless of locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles