Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:35 AM

280 posts, read 325,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatemtguy91 View Post
just did a bit of google maps. checking out all of your suggestions and its definetly helping. What I am noticing is that trees seem to be "shorter". Are my days of tree "covered" streets over? Nothing like driving down a tree-shade covered road in the middle of summer.
No, we have streets like that in parts of LA county that you won't be able to afford. Remember the Banks' home in Father of the Bride? There is nothing under a million in that neighborhood in Pasadena...maybe nothing under 1.5 million.

Strange that you're moving to So CA and you want it to look like somewhere else, without having even been there. Why not stay where you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I've narrowed it down guys. Big Bear and Wrightwood are a little too woodsy. It looks like things are very dramatic out in CA, it goes from like hardcore city to barren mountain town. Ideally I imagine a wrightwood that was more developed with streelights, and local amenities. I get the feeling that I would be doing a lot of driving for bread and milk there. So this is what I have:

Riverside, South Pasadena, Sierra Madre, Topanga, Altadena, La Canada Flintridge, Santa Clarita, Canyons above Glendora & Azusa (Englewild, Harrow, Roberts), Monrovia (Ruby Canyon), La Crescenta, Crestline and Arcadia.

Let me know what you guys think. Any obvious pros or cons about any of these would be helpful. Thanks!
I love all of those towns, have lived in a couple. Riverside has some really great neighborhoods, but I'm not remembering any tall tree's (but I happen to LOVE the historic districts there). Also add to your list Alta Dena if you want to be closer to LA.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:10 AM

642 posts, read 2,552,587 times
I have been to Santa Clarita and La Canada area. I would say la canada is is more what you are looking for. More trees. And I am a lake person also. I loved the North East ... Just Beautiful. Riverside is not going to have what you want in my opinion. I have always loved Topanga area. But i think La Canada will be more you.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:20 PM

I was looking in La Canada, and couldn't find anything under a million that was move-in ready. It was ridiculous.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:13 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
La Canada is VERY expensive. It is kind of the conservative Hollywood Hills. That whole area has a very small town feel. La Crescenta has decent areas for less. It is far less polished than La Canada, but still has the mountain town feel. It is just west of La Canada and north of Montrose (great little area). Move further up Foothill Blvd and the 210, and prices go down even more. However, in my personal opinion those communities are very strange and unappealing (Sunland-Tujunga).

Old 03-17-2015, 03:13 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
I would suggest Silverado Canyon in Orange County, but the commute to LA would be impossible:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Silverado/...6/home/3503035

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Silverado/...6/home/5119761

Old 03-17-2015, 03:57 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
What's your price range?

Acton or Agua Dulce could be an option. Green Valley - between Palmdale and Santa Clarita -- is really nice too and is very forested.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 AM

62 posts, read 76,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonteacher View Post
I share this house just as an example of the wooded setting.....you get a guest house for 1200 to 15 on the land of one of these properties. You feel like you are in a Colorado forest but you are 20 mins drive to the heart of LA.Deodar Forest charming 3 Bed 2 Bath home

Deodar Forest charming 3 Bed 2 Bath home
absolutely lovely! what area of LA is this?

Old 03-18-2015, 10:58 AM

62 posts, read 76,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
I have been to Santa Clarita and La Canada area. I would say la canada is is more what you are looking for. More trees. And I am a lake person also. I loved the North East ... Just Beautiful. Riverside is not going to have what you want in my opinion. I have always loved Topanga area. But i think La Canada will be more you.
Thank you so muc, the housing in Topanga seem limited and expensive. Is this true?

Old 03-18-2015, 11:04 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Thank you so muc, the housing in Topanga seem limited and expensive. Is this true?
Yes, all the canyon areas are---Topanga Canyon, Laurel Canyon, Coldwater Canyon---because they are part of LA and convenient to amenities, and thus desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles