Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 4,962 times

Advertisements

I am getting sdi payments now for a hernia since I can not work my normal construction job. I am scheduled to have surgery for it at the end of this month but since I am not in much pain I am thinking about canceling my surgery. If I cancel and do not get the surgery done can I keep getting sdi payments? I read on the edd website that sdi is funded by us employees and it looks like I can get benefits for up to 52 weeks as long as I can not do my normal work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 12:21 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
I think you're asking the wrong question.

A better question is this: If you can fix you hernia and go back to work, would it be immoral to refuse the surgery just so you can continue on government benefits and not have to work?

Old 03-14-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
I think you're asking the wrong question.

A better question is this: If you can fix you hernia and go back to work, would it be immoral to refuse the surgery just so you can continue on government benefits and not have to work?
No, actually I think my questions are clear. Thanks for throwing your moral spin on it though. That's awfully noble of you.
I'm really not interested in peoples moral opinions. I'm looking for facts on the rules and regs. I plan to use my time off training for a new profession that may not be so hard on my body. The question is, will the rules allow for me to do this?

Old 03-14-2015, 01:45 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
I believe the government department that handles sdi cases is always looking for ways to get people off the system, and obviously they are already aware that you are contemplating surgery.
They are in touch with your doctors.
If you refuse, they will bounce you off payments quicker than you can say it.

Bob.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:03 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyhand View Post
I am getting sdi payments now for a hernia since I can not work my normal construction job. I am scheduled to have surgery for it at the end of this month but since I am not in much pain I am thinking about canceling my surgery. If I cancel and do not get the surgery done can I keep getting sdi payments? I read on the edd website that sdi is funded by us employees and it looks like I can get benefits for up to 52 weeks as long as I can not do my normal work.
The ethical considerations aside, I'm going to hazard a guess, and say that you still qualify for benefits by virtue of your existing disability. I doubt the state can compel you to get surgery if you don't want it.

It's an interesting question, that sent me on a fruitless Google hunt. Better ask somebody who knows (and then tell me. I'm curious.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
The ethical considerations aside, I'm going to hazard a guess, and say that you still qualify for benefits by virtue of your existing disability. I doubt the state can compel you to get surgery if you don't want it.

It's an interesting question, that sent me on a fruitless Google hunt. Better ask somebody who knows (and then tell me. I'm curious.
I believe you are right. If you read the eligibility requirements there is nothing said about being required to follow prescribed treatments in order to remain elgible.
Disability Insurance - Eligibility
In the ineldgibility provision (at bottom of page linked above) I find nothing that says that if you do not follow prescribed treatments that you become ineligible for benefits. I can not find any fine print on this topic anywhere. I believe you are either able to perform your normal and customary work duties or you are not. I think it is just that simple. (for up to 52 weeks at least)

Old 03-15-2015, 11:44 AM

642 posts, read 2,552,587 times
I think you can get away with it. Luckily for you they have a load of people trying to do the same thing so they can make some money. It would take them a while to get around to your case.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
I think you can get away with it. Luckily for you they have a load of people trying to do the same thing so they can make some money. It would take them a while to get around to your case.
Well that's my concern, I don't want to "get away" with anything. I don't want to break any policies, rules or laws.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:50 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
I think the best thing you can do is to contact the department handling your case,and ask therm.
I know the government requires that you not only see your own doctor, but doctors they recommend as well.

My feeling is, if the doctor chosen by the government stated you need surgery, and it would cure the problem, if you refused, they would bounce you off the system.
The government wants you back to work, and off disability if at all possible.
If you refuse treatment that could put you back to work, I am almost certain you could kiss sdi good-bye.

Bob.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think the best thing you can do is to contact the department handling your case,and ask therm.
I know the government requires that you not only see your own doctor, but doctors they recommend as well.

My feeling is, if the doctor chosen by the government stated you need surgery, and it would cure the problem, if you refused, they would bounce you off the system.
The government wants you back to work, and off disability if at all possible.
If you refuse treatment that could put you back to work, I am almost certain you could kiss sdi good-bye.

Bob.
It is my understanding that the EDD would only require a claimant to see one of their appointed Dr's if they suspected fraud. Refusing the surgery can't put me back to work, I am still technically disabled and unfit to work. I think I'll consult a disability attorney.

Thanks Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles