Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:44 PM

83 posts, read 156,871 times

Advertisements

Hipster males wear their stretch jeans mid butt level with hi top canvas sneakers sporting a pork pie hat. Have seen a few at Tripel's in Playa del Rey. They seem to have money. I'm just getting old so they leave me alone. I wish they'd pull up their pants, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 09:08 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,164,635 times
What kind of tattoos do the hipsters get? That barbed wire around the arm thing is kind of dated....

Old 03-19-2015, 10:29 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
This is basically why I'm rolling my eyes at the OP.

Typically thought of as white millennials who take up in gentrifying urban neighborhoods. Have a plethora of fashion styles, usually anything non-mainstream, likes vintage clothes and thrift stores, into indie and alternative music. They have an effortless, cool look about them that actually took a lot of effort in cultivating. Well educated with some liberal arts degree. And they usually have progressive, liberal political views. New York has a pretty big "hipster culture" in places like Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District. Chicago and SF do as well.

Los Angeles doesn't really have a TRUE hipster population. Many think it's Silver Lake and Echo Park, but they're wrong. Beards, flannel, and some skinny jeans do not a hipster make. That's about it for the current generation. People hate hipsters because they're known for disliking the mainstream, deconstructing social norms, following trends that upset the status quo, and non-conformity. Yet while doing so, they manage to conform to everything that makes a hipster a hipster. So they're seen as hypocritical. Hipsters have become a non-existent scapegoat born from this ideal that they'll change the neighborhood when they move in, make fun of you for liking mainstream artists, etc. Partly true for areas in New York, but it doesn't really touch LA.

OP has no clue what he's talking about. And is just using the current trend of hating hipsters as the scapegoat for the non-issues in his nabe.
If there's any place in L.A. that could maybe pass for a "hipster" hangout, it's North Hollywood and perhaps Atwater Village. I agree, though, it's high time people quit dissing on hipsters.

Would they rather it was gangsters flashing signs and bringing their "hood habits" and crime to Playa Vista?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:30 PM

105 posts, read 169,502 times
If it makes you feel any better these apartments help with diversity in the area by allowing Section 8 losers as tenants. My friend broke his lease because of all the thugs that live there and the crime that goes along with it. I will take hipsters over these losers any day.

http://www.apartments.com/fountain-p...ta-ca/79bygnz/

Old 03-19-2015, 10:39 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNHot75 View Post
If it makes you feel any better these apartments help with diversity in the area by allowing Section 8 losers as tenants. My friend broke his lease because of all the thugs that live there and the crime that goes along with it. I will take hipsters over these losers any day.

http://www.apartments.com/fountain-p...ta-ca/79bygnz/
Hear! Hear!

Section 8 has become a curse! My brother had to move from a formerly nice neighborhood in his current city when it became overran with Section 8 housing.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:55 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alto100 View Post
Hipster males wear their stretch jeans mid butt level with hi top canvas sneakers sporting a pork pie hat. Have seen a few at Tripel's in Playa del Rey. They seem to have money. I'm just getting old so they leave me alone. I wish they'd pull up their pants, though.
Just stop wearing your old man glasses when you go outside and you'll be fine.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:27 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
This is basically why I'm rolling my eyes at the OP.

Typically thought of as white millennials who take up in gentrifying urban neighborhoods. Have a plethora of fashion styles, usually anything non-mainstream, likes vintage clothes and thrift stores, into indie and alternative music. They have an effortless, cool look about them that actually took a lot of effort in cultivating. Well educated with some liberal arts degree. And they usually have progressive, liberal political views. New York has a pretty big "hipster culture" in places like Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District. Chicago and SF do as well.

Los Angeles doesn't really have a TRUE hipster population. Many think it's Silver Lake and Echo Park, but they're wrong. Beards, flannel, and some skinny jeans do not a hipster make. That's about it for the current generation. People hate hipsters because they're known for disliking the mainstream, deconstructing social norms, following trends that upset the status quo, and non-conformity. Yet while doing so, they manage to conform to everything that makes a hipster a hipster. So they're seen as hypocritical. Hipsters have become a non-existent scapegoat born from this ideal that they'll change the neighborhood when they move in, make fun of you for liking mainstream artists, etc. Partly true for areas in New York, but it doesn't really touch LA.

OP has no clue what he's talking about. And is just using the current trend of hating hipsters as the scapegoat for the non-issues in his nabe.
The type of people that the OP is complaining about are what I would call "fake" hipsters or maybe even "basic" hipsters. These people look and act like they are hip and better than most people, but they are all still listening to the same marginally-underground bands, being snobby about stupid things like ultra-artisan coffee or eating gluten free this or that, and jumping from "cool" trend to trend.

Oftentimes, they are techies, which explains why the OP is so worried about these types invading Playa Vista. In other words, these are this generation's version of "yuppies." Real "hipsters" or artists or punk kids or whatever you want to call them, would not touch Playa Vista with a 10 foot pole (no offense to PV, seems like a great family friendly neighborhood).

Old 03-20-2015, 11:42 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The type of people that the OP is complaining about are what I would call "fake" hipsters or maybe even "basic" hipsters. These people look and act like they are hip and better than most people, but they are all still listening to the same marginally-underground bands, being snobby about stupid things like ultra-artisan coffee or eating gluten free this or that, and jumping from "cool" trend to trend.

Oftentimes, they are techies, which explains why the OP is so worried about these types invading Playa Vista. In other words, these are this generation's version of "yuppies." Real "hipsters" or artists or punk kids or whatever you want to call them, would not touch Playa Vista with a 10 foot pole (no offense to PV, seems like a great family friendly neighborhood).
The sad part is these people aren't bothering the OP at all. He just wants to scream "Get off my lawn" as they pass by on the sidewalk.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:52 PM

64 posts, read 99,147 times
You don't hate hipsters, because there are no hipsters, you just hate contemporary well-educated white young people. Someday these "hipsters" will be presidents, governors and senators of USA... and you will still hate the next waves of contemporary well-educated white young people.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
The term "hipster" has become a synonym for "young person"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles